Simon and Schuster cuts 35 jobs

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jim Johnson, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Geoff

Geoff Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What can I add after nine pages of painfully heartfelt lamentations? I'll simply echo all the sentiments preceding mine... especially the ones with the platonic yet subtly homoerotic overtones.

What?

With your skillset, I have little doubt that you shall. Nonetheless, perhaps I'll be the one picking up your bar tab at the next Shore Leave. :)

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not always, though. Didn't Mike McAvennie handle the TOS & TNG lettercols for much of Margaret's tenure as DC's Trek editor? From a quick check, it appears that Margaret handled them personally for only about the last 8 issues of each (though maybe she did it a few times before that; I haven't done an exhaustive check).

Still, as others have said, there's no correlation between how interactive an editor is with his/her audience and how dedicated they are to the quality of the line. Marco's online presence was the exception, not the rule, and there were times when he took a break from it altogether.

And of course Margaret's posted on this BBS periodically, and I'm sure she'll continue to do so as her duties allow.

3. Scott Pearson

Scott Pearson Writer Captain

Trying to get Marco drunk? Now you're the one with platonic yet subtly homoerotic overtones. ;)

4. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, is Titan going to still be part of the future or will it be canceled? I know James Swallow is writing the 5th entry (if not suspended). Will this be the last Titan novel ever? I ask cause this was one that Marco created and I like this series along with Vanguard though Vanguard is way, way better.

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's been no indication that any of the Star Trek lines will be cancelled.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Marco's departure doesn't mean that any of the book series he shepherded are going to be cancelled. They'll just be in different editorial hands, like a TV show that's changed showrunners. As long as a given series sells well, as long as the market is there for it, it will continue.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Marc, it'll get cancelled if if doesn't sell well enough, not because its editor leaves.

8. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Pretty simple really then, keep buying the books and it won't get cancelled!

9. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Marco will return to writing. I noticed in "The Further Adventures of the Joker" his bio bit mentions a novel.

(granted, that was ~15 years ago)

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Dunno. Maybe he is the elusive J Noah Kym, or Anonymous?

11. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that would be interesting.

12. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not going to lie, I've often suspected that Anonymous and/or J. Noah Kym were actually Marco.

Anyone else wondering if we'll find out now that Marco is no longer in Pocket's employ?

13. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

^ Or perhaps he'll finally admit that he's actually L.A. Graf.

14. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Wait, J. Noah Kym isn't L.A. GRAF?

Dammit!

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I've never thought about that, but it does make sense.

16. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt Marco would commission a substantial piece of fiction like "Fragments and Omens" from himself, but I've sometimes wondered if he might be Anonymous.

17. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Even if either is the case (I honestly don't know the secret identity behind those pieces), I doubt we'll ever find out, at least not from Marco himself.

However, I'm fairly certain David R. George III and David Mack are the same person. I've never seen them in the same room at the same time, and every time there's a whiskey emergency at the bar, Mack is there coordinating "response efforts," while DRG III is nowhere to be found. Hmmmm....

18. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Well, I know that you've been in the same room as DRGIII, so you must've noticed that he looks nothing like David Mack... :p

Unless his mustache is a.... fake!! :o

Sorry... had to...

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I've met Noah, and Noah is definitely not Marco. Marco has a deeper voice, for one thing, and Noah is taller for another. :)

20. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ Well, being taller than Marco is hardly an accomplishment............