Lindelof On Eve Scene (minor spoilers, hysteria, hyperbole)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, May 21, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Re: Lindelof On Eve Scene

What does it have to do with Alice Eve's role as Dr. Carol Marcus?

2. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because the poster made the larger point that we like looking at the human body, and my point is that we don't get it unfiltered, and there are celebrities that are called fat every day where the fans are fatter than the ones calling them that.

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Says who? I love the human body and I've seen it in nearly every variation. I don't get my information from beauty magazines and gossip rags.

Still, what does any of that have to do with Alice Eve and her role as Dr. Marcus? Also, should she be ashamed that she doesn't meet your definition of normal?

4. HaventGotALife

She fits the definition of Hollywood. My definition comes from FACT, not opinion.

Average body size is 5-4, 140-150 pounds, size 12-14

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Precisely.

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

So you're talking about average women in the United States. Should Alice Eve feel bad for not being the same size as an average woman in the United States? Because she was born in London, England.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

No you didn't. You claim that this basically a bad influence on kids, and your "evidence" is that people in magasines are expected to look good. That's not exactly a revelation, but more damningly, it's not evidence.

If they stop retouching pictures, they'll just look harder for people with the better bodies.

You might want to look up the definition for that uppercase word.

So what about fat people in movies ? They're not the average, so is that wrong ? Who cares about the average, and how does that relate to Alice Eve ?

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

And we love you for it, Bob. :techman:

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is what I assumed it was going to be when all the fuss started with whatever trailer it was in first. I expected Kirk to blush, do a double-take, or something along those lines as if to say, "There's something different about this woman..." But ultimately, I found the whole thing rushed and awkward.

10. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Usually I'm all for self-esteem and what-do-you-care-what-other-people-think, but if the average American woman is 160cm by 70kg, then it's a fact that American people are way too fat for their own good.

It's possible to be healthy and fit with that measurement? Sure. Is it likely? No.

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Usually I'm all for self-esteem and what-do-you-care-what-other-people-think, but if the average American woman is 160cm by 70kg, then it's a fact that American people are way too fat for their own good.

It's possible to be healthy and fit with that measurement? Sure. Is it likely? No.

12. Belz...

I admit that it seemed tacked on, and pointless, but it went by so fast, I don't know what people are complaining about. It's such a minor part of the movie, I have to wonder if people aren't looking for an excuse to whine.

Showing sexy women is not always sexist.

13. HaventGotALife

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=8131876&postcount=19

My point is that this needless scene is perpetuating a body image that is not obtainable for most women. There there is scientific research that exposure to images like this influence people as young as 4 years old. Read the original post. I didn't just use gossip magazines. I started with scientific research, put it in the larger context, and why Star Trek should be ashamed of itself.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Star Trek has no need to be ashamed of itself. The woman is a military officer and should be in shape.

15. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

Am I the only person who really didn't care? And I'm female. Star Trek has always had scantily dressed women (or wearing super-tight suits). It was a whole 3 second shot out of a two hour movie.

Oh, as the mother of a 4-year old little girl, anyone showing their young daughter this movie has bigger issues than body image.

16. BillJ

We're just thinking of the children! :lol:

17. Belz...

Perpetuating ? Seriously, assuming that the scene wasn't needless, which it was, would you have prefered a cellulite-ridden body ? Of course not.

If it can encourage kids to take care of their bodies rather than become fat and out of shape, I'm all for it. Where's that research, by the way ?

Or maybe it's just fiction and you're over-analysing and projecting your values onto it.

I watched violent Japanese anime at 5. Didn't seem to scar me.

18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it was a cheap way of getting some skin and foreshadowing a possible liason. The problem I have with it - NuBSG showed members of the opposite sex changing together without any hint of voyeurism because, you know what, they're professionals. The way the scene was handled said quite a bit about the juvenile sexist attitudes of the writers and might explain why they've included so few female characters in the last two movies compared to males.

19. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Or, you know, Kirk's really attracted to her and it made him blush.

20. BillJ

You know Alice Eve has the same body with or without the uniform? Her curves were very apparent in her Starfleet uniform. Should we dress her up like the Michelin Man?