HYPERION: Cast & 3D

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Johnny, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Admiral Buzzkill

How is this going? I'm quite interested.

3. Johnny

Johnny Commander Red Shirt

We're looking at about 3-4 months on the scenes we filmed. Redubbing, motion tracking and colour correction. It's not going to be quick I'm afraid. Also some issues with editing HD which we've got to get around. Might pop up a scene on youtube when I get it all together.
    But I'm afraid you've got to wait a little longer! Sorry!

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Oh, I certainly don't expect to see a finished product any time soon - I know a little bit about how involved and time-consuming post-production is. I'm just curious about what the shoot was like and how things are going. The images and reports about pre-production, set construction and so forth were intriguing. The process itself interests me.

5. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

3-4 months? Just in time for christmas.

6. Johnny

No! No! Not predictions! I don't deal well with deadlines! Which is why my uni course went from 3 to 5 years, but thats another story.

Dennis, the shoot was hell... literally. The lead female pulled out 48 hours before we were due to start filming and I couldn't get a replacement in time, so we'd grab a scene and then alter it there and then, and (literally) run in and film it, and then be back in the green room for another quick rewrite. The set wasn't finished until the wednesday morning of the week shoot. I've never been so tired in all my life, and especially after nearly four weeks of woodwork, my brain was fried!

We did a single 60 second shot on the steadicam and got some good results. The consoles didn't look as good as I thought they were going to, but they'll be a lot of motion tracking later to sort that out, if I can make all the necessary animations in time. Got a good few scenes in our square turbolift, which I quite like, with slidy door and everything.

It's amazing how much of the set was botched at the final moment, which I didn't see coming, but it taught me a lot.

And we had a fire on the friday! Which I was quite pleased with, there's nothing like the fear of life to put some energy into you for the final push.
    Some new hardware is coming in a week or two so should have some basic scenes together to show in a month-ish.
    J.

7. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which one of those lovely ladies on page 1 was the lead????

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Ah you love it, though, don't you? ;)

Great, candid report. Thanks. :techman:

9. Johnny

These arn't their real names by the way; Myra Elizabeth Miller. We made the uniform and EVERYTHING!! :mad: It takes us 15 hours a pop! And Ellen McCabe pulled out so we had to get another young attractive Lt. Which wasn't too hard to be fair.

Her on the left.

[​IMG]

10. Johnny

www.dosime.co.uk/personal/trekvids

just a snippit of whats being produced. no film any more unfortunatly, but should have a good few minutes from this set to show.
    redubbing hasn't been done yet, and the foley sounds are testers.
    opinions/comments etc welcome.
    Cheers,
    J.

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Best of luck with the redubbing. Making it look natural can be a bitch.

Sound is the biggest killer in fan and other amateur films. Everyone worries about the sets and lighting and a lot don't give the sound enough thought. It's why I always try to rent really good mics and someone with a good ear to monitor the sound on set. For a set as big as a bridge you really need at least two boom mics (and this isn't a comment about your setup, but just a general observation).

12. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

This is sweet. You gotta get a site up. Keep the spoilage coming. I love what you have shown us so far.

13. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Looks pretty good!

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Very nice. Thanks for the peek.

15. Johnny

A couple of odds and ends to let you know how it's getting on;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J.

16. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Looks good. Any idea on a release date yet?

17. CaptainKen

CaptainKen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great pics! Fascinating. This is my first time hearing about your project. I look forward to seeing more.

Do you have a website? Keep up the great work!

18. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Let me offer you a substitute for the distraction of creating a website instead of creating a fan film... you already have Section (X) of Blog 143 in MY website. I'll be happy to post information there you might like on a website... which leaves you free to actually make the fan film!!! Once your film is released, you get your own Blog, which is named in the Table of Contents and indexed within the greater website.
    http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/143.html .

Right now I have minimal information on you, but the photos show you are a Silver Age live action project.

A glance at Blog 143 will show you that I have much less information on your project than on many others. If you give me a banner or a photo or two to download, or a link to Vimeo or any other location with a short pre-release, I'll add that.

And I see nothing wrong with keeping your anxious public informed through a thread here, and perhaps in a few other forums, at least until you have your first release. There are many groups that get so involved in creating their film websites they never produce a film. As a fan film fan, I'd rather see your film than your website.

19. Johnny

Not yet. Looking at another 6 months I think. End of March maybe? Don't quote me on that! Should be about 20 minutes of footage from the film, the script should make up the gaps.

Nope, no website yet. I'm starting up a media business off the back of some work me and the group are producing, so I'll probably make a page within that for it.

After reading that several times(and going through your site), I think I finally understood all the lingo you sprouted at me! Section(X), Silver Age, Blog 143...
    Brain freeze! Drop me an email and I'll send you all the stuff you want. I'll PM.

20. Robin_Hiert

Robin_Hiert Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

OMG, you built a bridge! :wtf: