Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

2. NOVE9

NOVE9 Commander Red Shirt

USS Kelvin is confirmed as the 5th special

3. trekkier

trekkier Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Anybody know when the US is going to get the borg cube?

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Steamrunner and Kelvin, finally. :D

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Ben also confirmed to me the Enterprise-J will come on or before Issue 80 too.

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The Vengeance looks nice. I just wish they would have done the refit at that large scale.

7. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Has there been any talk of the Odyssey from Star Trek online making an appearance? Or is that no part of canon??

8. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Not as far as I now of, but I was talking with some other fans of the collection there and our reasoned estimation is that this collection is selling like hotcakes, and it'll probably go waaay past the 90 odd issues they're saying. If that happens, they'll run out of screen used ships at SOME point so things like the Titan and maybe even the STO stuff will come into play. Not for a very very long time though (im talking at least 3 years away).

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The NX-01 refit isn't canon and I thought I heard they were doing it.

10. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, they have confirmed that.

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Yeah, we don't know when that is going to come out though. I would argue its towards the back end of the series which is when I said I'd expect to see soft canon stuff (like the NX Refit and Titan) come about.

12. mtblillie

mtblillie Captain Captain

The NX-01 refit is not canon but it was produced to be so. I suppose by that argument the Phase II Enterprise could be made as well. The Daedelus class also falls in that catagory, although you could argue that it is canon since there was a model of it on Sisko's desk.

Ships from novels and STO are a pipe dream, there are literally hundreds of canon ships, especially if they start including shuttles and such. Not to mention the fact that they are no where near canon and CBS has to approve everything. Keep in mind that even if there are enough signatures for the Titan, there is no guarantee they will make it.

Don't get me wrong, it would be awsome, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

13. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

As it stands, CBS views Star Trek Online as "soft canon" - that is to say it is what's going on until TV or Film decides to contradict it.

Given that nomenclature, I'd say they're reluctant to use it as a source of models, but at the same time if they've used up everything else (and by Issue 100 - seriously, what else will there be? At least in terms of Federation ships) why not?

14. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Got my shipment last week- the Borg Cube lamp thing (love it!), the Akira (one of my favourite ships, first time I've owned one physically though) and the Dominion Battleship (will definitely be showing up in my Attack Wing games- as will the Borg Cube!)

15. mswood

For Federation ships, without going kit bashed or shuttles and stations they don't have a lot without. But for alien ships, they have a ton. About another hundred or so original design ships, most not even kit bashed or reused versions of ships. With kit bashed and reused partial designs you can go for another hundred.

Of course they could start doing true shuttles and stations for another 30 to 50 ships.

Seriously there are a lot of ships that could be done if they wanted to without going outside the tv and films series.

I would expect that the original license deal don't include ships from outside sources, without some form of additional revenue or permission.

After all they have admitted that they can't do the JJ ships at the normal size, due to license of that to hot wheels. If they do any ships from JJ Trek it has to be the larger size.

16. mswood

NX-01 was never produced for Enterprise, it was solely an idea for a Calendar, that Doug took ideas of the NX-o1 class that were never used, and tried to see what it would have been like if they did take his original module design and use it. Which was never done, nor never intended to be done.

It would be like Doug releasing a Vorcha class ship with a different front section, since Rick did intend for that section to also be module something that was never, ever used or mentioned in TNG, DS9, or any other Trek.

17. mswood

I personally would much rather see Probert's design of the Enterprise C, as that is at least shown (many, many times on TNG) and wasn't faithfully then taken and made into a model by Rick Sternbach and I assume Greg Jein (I can't honestly remember who built the physical model).

18. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

I wonder if there license includes the animated series. It would be cool to see a few of those.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd actually be interested in the transport ship from "The Pirates of Orion"!

20. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Got my October shipment e-mail just now and I don't see the "All Good Things" Enterprise-D listed. Have they delayed it again?