Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. EnochRoot

EnochRoot Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Well Nemesis ends late-2379. Missing in Action occurs roughly at the same time. For the most part TNG, TTN, and Articles cover 2280. Destiny begins in early 2281.

I don't think there are any plans to artificially advance the NF storyline from 2379 to 2381 based soley on the notion that it needs to catch up to post-Destiny.

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

you got 2 of your dates wrong, you twenty-TWO eighty not twenty-THREE eighty and likewise for '81...

3. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

As Dayton Ward said, that is not likely to happen. :)

I just contacted my comic and SF shop here in Britain and was told that they just got the new Enterprise novel and expect the first Destiny book soon after. Great! I asked them to send me the book as soon as they get it.

When reading it I will keep in mind that this is a trilogy but I think some preliminary judgement of whatever is already visible of the big picture can`t be avoided and I think that is only natural.

I am really looking forward to it!

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah -- what usually happens is that people assume in advance that the project will suck, then read it and discover that every conclusion they jumped to was wrong and they love it, and then the next time a new project is announced they make the same negative conclusions in advance, having learned no lesson at all from the previous case.

5. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or they assume in advance that it'll suck, and then aren't able to read it because whoever at S&S is responsible for making the Trek ebooks or for sending them off to be made couldn't find their ass if their hands were glued to it.

6. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Re: Destiny: What we know - major spoilers may feature

Don't you just love a thread that contains spoilers about a set of books that have not yet been released? It does seem a bit silly (IMHO) to have this thread in advance.

7. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It just means that people are very excited for this book. "Destiny" is a pretty dramatic title and is a big cross-over event. Maybe in the grand scheme of things that isn't the biggest deal but that's a pretty big event in the world of Trek Literature.

(And for the record, I'm still quite optimistic.)

8. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For all you naysayers out there, answer me this one question, and be honest.

If you have read ALL or NEARLY ALL David's work in Trek, has he ever written a bad story?

If you answered yes, I suggest reading it/them again because you clearly didn't get it the first time.

If you answered no, why assume that this will be the first bad story??

9. wew

wew Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which seems to a somewhat inane view. If someone reads a work and thinks it is a bad story, rereading might end up with the same results.

If a person's opinion is a story is bad, it doesn't mean they clearly didn't get it the first time, its quite possible they did get it, and didn't like it.

For me, I'll await reading it before making up my mind.

10. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Biased much, are we? :wtf:

11. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

12. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

There are a lot of factors that can enter into the enjoyment of a Star Trek book. Factors like how long has it been since you have watched relative episodes? Personal growth can also figure in as you may not be at a place mentally, or experience wise, to relate to the main issues of a story. You may just simply not be in a good state of mind or too busy to really give a book the attention it deserves. Or maybe there was not enough action and too much drama or vice-versa. Or maybe it just doesn't feature your favorite characters enough?

I was one who upon first reading did not care at all for the first Titan book, but another forum I am on selected it for the book of the month to read as a group, and I decided to read it again along with everyone else. Boy! Was I surprised how much I had missed the first time through and now I would say it's one of my favorite Star Trek books. So, sometimes re-reading a novel may breath new life into it and help you enjoy the book. Give it a shot and re-read that book! What do you have to lose but a few hours of relaxation anyway? You might have the same opinion or worse after but then again you might just gain insights into the book that you didn't see the first time through.

As for fans being negative before a book is even released it does seem a little silly but I do understand completely why fans think the Borg have been overused and to have so many books back to back featuring the Borg is close to Borg abuse but I will give David the benefit of the doubt and will read and probably love his story. I just hope that Pocket Books never allows another Borg story to be written and we can move on to something more creative and original.

Kevin

13. wew

wew Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that because we know that no one can write a creative or original Borg story? (trying to be sarcastic)

I happen to read and reread and rereread ... you get the idea my Star Trek books, some I really enjoy, others I don't. Still, I'm withholding judgement until I actually read the book.

14. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Well, that's three minutes and eleven seconds I'll be begging to have back on my deathbed................ :cardie:

15. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You watched the whole thing?:wtf:

16. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ What can I tell you, I kept waiting for it to be funny....

17. Leaf

Leaf Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

According to Pocket's Spring 2009 catalog, Treason jumps forward from Missing in Action by three years.

19. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I must assume that's a mistake. They just did the 'jump ahead' bit and have many gaps left in those three years to pad out (no pun intended). And doing so again would place it far in advance of the rest of the series (and BD demonstrated that, for all his skills at carrying New Frontier, it's probably best not to let PAD determine the direction of the literary universe for the next few years).

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

20. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Destiny: What we know - major spoilers may feature

A few days back there were 3 of Destiny spoiler threads going at the same time before they were combined. Yeah, seems crazy to me.

I'm looking forward to the trilogy but man, people are freaking foaming at the mouth about them. I hope no one is disappointed. :lol: