American Food for Superbowl...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jax, Jan 29, 2013.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Since when is the Super Bowl about actually watching the game? :p

2. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh...pretty much most years.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Weird.

Then again, I'm from Chicago. By the time the Super Bowl rolls around, we've usually stopped caring. The Super Bowl is all about getting drunk with friends and eating copious amounts of food. The game is on, but we rarely pay much attention to it.

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^i thought it was like that all over and I've lived all over the US east of the Mississippi.

Plus I know people who do it just to see the commericals

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, unless YOUR team is in the game, I don't think too many people really care about what happens.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

As everyone said, Wings are a must (Buffalo Wings or Hot Wings). Usually snacks are typical, so veggies and ranch or chips and salsa. You could always make a 7ish-layer dip.

I think the general rule is if it seems healthy, you're probably doing it wrong.

You also need beer. Here, I don't think you're wrong for being a little less realistic. The most common beer would be Budweiser or Miller, but I almost never drink that so I don't think a cheap British beer would be strange. Just make sure it's a Lager, ideally a Pilsner. If you get Bud, drink it very cold because, otherwise, you might have to taste it.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Blech.

We usually get a keg of Bud for our house party, but every year I am able to stomach it less and less.

I think this year I will be drinking some craft Pale Ales. Maybe some stouts.

Or I might try and get a keg of something from the brewery where I work.

8. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Unless, of course, you really hate one of the teams that's playing.
    This year, I really don't hate anybody. And my team's not there. So bring on the FOOD COMA!

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Look, I agree with you. Last year, I had Dogfish Head. However, if the goal is a typical American Super Bowl party, it can't really be a craft beer since craft beers make up 5% of total beer sales and the overwhelming majority of people don't drink them.

I would suggest Yuengling as a compromise, but I doubt you can get it overseas. It would be a little weird for a British person to drink Sam Adams. ;)

10. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Everyone here is obviously watching the Superbowl and I have zero interest. :/

11. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

This is me. I DVR it, then fast-forward through the game itself to watch the commercials.

12. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm in it for the food and commercials. But the ads have sucked the last few years, for the most part. Lots of money spent, but a lot of unimaginative ads.

I watch the game. I like good plays, regardless of the team. I don't care who wins, as long as the numbers are right on the pool.

As for food, chips (potato and tortilla), dip and salsa, wings with ranch dressing, maybe some deli. And cake. Gotta have dessert. No beer (I can't have alcohol and don't like beer anyway), but lots of soda.

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not. I'll likely be reading.
    I still may fix nachos, though. :D

14. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

It's funny to see people not caring about this Superbowl, because where I live this is the first year I can remember where people are practically obsessed about it. From the way my friends and family are talking about it on Facebook you would think Christ himself has joined one of the teams. By virtue of my location I guess I am obligated to root for the 49ers as well, though I really have no interest in football and only watch for the commercials.

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, I love the 49ers, but I'm just not a Superbowl person. That said, there's always time for nachos.

16. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    This is very true. Of course, when one of the others in your group cares about one of the teams and you don't care about either one, it is kind of fun to root against them just to watch them squirm. :devil:

This sounds like an awesome idea. For our Super Bowl gatherings, we gave up on the Bud/Miller Lite/Coors crap almost a decade ago. This year, we'll probably just pick up a couple of cases of Newcastle or Sam Adams and call it good.

As for food, pizza seems to be the traditional Super Bowl food for most people. Basically though, if it is greasy, fatty, or full of crap that is not good for you at all you are good to go. For Sunday, we will probably have a crock pot full of chili, chips and guacamole, and assorted finger foods for the game.

17. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

- Chicken wings (I usually make about 3 different kinds: Hot Buffalo, BBQ and Honey Mustard). I bake the wings in the oven on a foil covered baking sheet after coating with basil, garlic powder and paprika. Less fat in this option. Then either toss in sauces or serve sauce on the side to dip their own.
    - Tortilla chips topped with Homemade Chili, cheese sauce, jalapeno or banana peppers (I made these last weekend for the kids). An alternative is 7-layer dip & let them dip their own.
    - Since I do not drink beer, I usually have a variety of soft drinks. We don't serve alcohol to the kids, so I don't serve it to the adults either. No drunks allowed in my house!
    ALWAYS use disposable paper plates, cups, silverware, etc. It's the American way!:beer:

18. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Entered a Chili cook off, so I have to make about 4 qts, roughly 4 lbs.

I'm using Turkey, and was trying to come up with a name for it,
    Someone suggested 'Anal Agony!, but I'm not going to make it that hot that the spoon will disintegrate, :lol:
    though that might be a fun prank :rommie:
    so any name suggestions would be welcome.

19. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^Charged-Up Chili, perhaps?

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Lots of hot wings with both ranch and blue cheese to dip in, along with carrot and celery sticks to go along with. Tortilla chips for dipping into some delicious chili cheese dip. And lots of beer, of course. :techman: