DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dan Jurgens is taking over FIRESTORM? I guess anything is an improvement over Van Sciver.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting since Jurgens had a lengthy run with Jason pre-NU52.

4. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jurgens didn't have a lengthy run with Jason pre-new 52. He had one with Booster, but the closest he had with Jason was doing art chores on one issue towards the end of his run.

Anyway, not being a big Jurgens fan, I think my decision to drop Firestorm, despite really enjoying the character, was a solid one. Like always, I'll pay attention to the comments about the title and see if it's worth going back and picking up.

5. Captain Craig

OOPS--my bad. *off to google*
    Sorry Gerry Conway.

6. Admiral_Young

Snyder states he hopes to explore Joker's psychology and using various themes. He also states that he coordinated with Tony Daniel on the character's appearance in "Detective Comics #1". He also explains why Joker has been gone for so long, and that tie-ins similar to the Night of Owls are planned for "Death of the Family". It'll be five parts spanning from "Batman #13-17". Still trying to figure out the "game changer" part that Rich has been talking about is.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/batman-13-joker-death-of-the-family-snyder.html

7. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Wow this Joker storyline sounds really exciting. I'm going to have to check this one out.

8. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

As I said in some other thread or another, there's so many vaunted "game-changers" these days that I'm no longer sure what game it is we're playing.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Baseketball.

10. Derishton

Wait, wait, wait ... the Joker's "been gone so long"? Wasn't he in the new Detective #1? In comic book time, that's last week.

And I'm deeply disappointed that nobody saw the opportunity to bring Cassandra Cain back as a Talon. Instead we get Mary the Talon in Batgirl, to go with the Talon who will star in Talon. So many Talons! A Talon for everyone! A car in every driveway and a Talon in every pot! Talons forever!

11. Admiral_Young

Cass is Black Bat right now...why would they decide to reveal her to be a Talon? Oh wait...I detect sarcasm? :)

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

There's some speculation that the Talon in Batgirl Annual #1 is Cass, but it's not based on anything solid, just on the way the Talon on the cover looks.

13. Derishton

That was my guess at first (hence my disappointment) - I'm surprised others had the same idea. My interpretations and guesses can be ... idiosyncratic. :sigh:

Why, Admiral, I have never been sarcastic a day in my life.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Today:

Huntress/Power Girl (World's Finest): #1 - #3
    Batman #11
    Batgirl #11

Non-DC
    Spider-Men #3 of 5.

None of IDW titles I follow this week (though I'm not sure when they come out anyway.) And none of the LCS I use have the Splinter TMNT Micro-Series that supposedly came out last month. :shrug:

I read World's Finest #1 and enjoyed it, WF may be another one I'll follow. I'll likely drop Detective and TDK when their current story lines end.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

[Oprah] You get a Talon, You get a Talon. Everybody. Gets. A. Talon! [/Oprah]

16. Admiral_Young

^ That's awesome :) LOL.

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Daniel apparently left the book because he didn't want to do more Joker stories. His plans were more Batman and Gordon stories according to someone who talked to him at a comic convention.

Gail Simone would be roasted alive by her fans if she did that.

18. Derishton

:guffaw:Nice!

Hound of UIster, the fans survived de-volving Oracle into generic redundant Batgirl, so I assume they'd survive a new origin for Black Bat. The whole thing feels like another example of DC's reboot always taking the hard road, when the big organic change is right in front of them. But I suppose since Batman Inc is somehow mysteriously still in continuity (now with less Metamorpho!), doing anything with Cassandra would be more difficult than it had to be.

19. Admiral_Young

Batman #11: The conclusion to the long and prolonged Night of Owls story line. Well...this issue didn't really resolve the issue of Lincoln March and who he really is...it kind of does, but also leaves it open as well. Batman and "Owl-Man" battle above and across Gotham City which results in Batman "winning" but injured. It would appear that the "Tron" New 52 suit does have several electronic features to it as Bruce mentions "suit is out of power" so I guess he has it heavily wired and it has a power source of some kind.

Overall, many of the points that I've made over the course of the eleven issues, I still stand by. Exceptional writing by Scott Snyder, and it would appear that the Court of Owls now (at least for the time being ) is going to remain as a force to deal with, although Bruce has crippled them. Greg Capullo's art work has been a stand out of the series and we're left with all these remaining Talon's all over the place. I'm glad that this is over...and am looking forward to moving on to the Joker.

Batman and Robin #11: This has to be one of the most inconsistent of the Bat Books. It's awesome for a few issues, then it isn't for a couple issues (I understand a little bit why Trekker dropped the book...I'm on the verge of doing so now as well) . I'm not the biggest fan of the art either still. The most interest aspect out of this Terminus story (the second most interesting aspect is that this guy is turning Bruce's own symbol against him) is the Robins battle going on, Damian's ambush of Jason at the start of the issue was awesome.

20. Captain Craig

I got 4 titles yesterday: Swamp Thing #11, Resurrection Man #11, Demon Knights #11 and Frank/Shade #11

Non-DC: Bloodshot #1, the Valiant relaunch which it seems the first arc is going to have our protagonist on a hunt for his origin. It's not neatly spelled out in this first issue. However on the inside front cover is a write up of known/unknown affects of the nanites in his system and I can't help but think those are easter eggs for possible future stories.

Probably crack into some of my DC books tonight.