DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Scott Snyder confirmed that there is a link in a Talksplode interview. He and Jeff Lemire are good friends and they share scripts.

Snyder said it's less of a crossover at this point (though they have a story planned) and more of a shared universe. The "villain" is another elemental force, which is neither good nor bad. He said it's a case where any of the forces, be it the red, the green, or the "villain" work best when they are in balance. When any of them are dominate, it's a bad thing.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, I didn't think she was as gorgeous as she was last month.

Corben sounds familiar. I assume he's someone from previous Superman continuity over the last ten or twelve years? I did think the writing in the set-up of his attraction to Lois and how it motivates him as regards the exo-suit was somewhat clumsy and choppy. He comes across as pretty adolescent.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ John Corben is Metallo. One of Superman's long time rogues.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

He is Metallo

I think this version with the military background borrows from Johns Secret Origins and the New Krypton stuff.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Ah, okay. I remember Silver Age Metallo and Byrne's version early on, but the name never stuck.

The Silver Age story about "Evil" Superman taking over the world had him split between a super-powered half and an earth-normal Clark Kent, who gets shot interfering with a crime and has himself turned into a Metallo in the hopes of getting close enough to King Superman to expose him to Kryptonite and kill him. Seriously. It was a real cool story for the time.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Usually how long after the "shelf date" can one expect to get their copy in the mail?

7. Admiral_Young

Yes this John Corben is very much seems to be inspired by Geoff Johns' version (and the Brian Austin Green version on Smallville). This one is obsessed with Lois who couldn't stand him after dating one or two times and has a hatred of Superman and becomes Metallo in an attempt to stop him. Secret Origin had Luthor creating him.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

I just read the Wikipedia entry on Metallo and judging from that some of the Secret Origin Metallo storyline is definitely in there.

The Brian Austin Green thing is...well, I paid so little attention to fucking Smallville that if you told me Zod was Clark's father in that version I'd have to believe it.

9. Hound of UIster

I think there is also a good dose of animated Superman in Action Comics.

Corben is going to fight Superman in the exosuit. That goes back to their first encounter in the cartoon with Superman against him in a giant stolen mechsuit.

And I think Morrison may probably use the animated version of Brainiac (Braniac as the Supercomputer of Krypton) seeing his preference for that origin in All-Star Superman.

10. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Er? A statue of Brainiac appears in the corner of one panel in All-Star. I mean, Solaris, the Tyrant Sun, exists. Sans any explanation whatsoever (A-SS, not the perfect comic it's been accused of being), but he exists. Brainiac's not in it at all.

I dunno. I mean, I read the backmatter. But a scratchy sketch of Kandor (IT'S FULL OF INFORMATION!) or Rags Morales explaining how he hates any Superman that isn't a domestic terrorist isn't worth a dollar to me. Especially when I realize that it spoils visual surprises like the neat back-of-the-head mask Gene Ha designed. Why would I want to see that in pre-production before I saw it in my story?

I think what I found really off-putting was how arrogant it was. "This is a great comic! You will listen while we explain aspects of its creation and pay for the privilege!" You wanna do that with V For Vendetta in the ten year anniversary release? Or, hey, not to be mean to Morrison, The Invisibles? Yes. These works have been tested by time and placed in the sequential art canon. Action Comics vol. 2 has not. And, going back to what I said about spoiling, it's also universal practice to put that stuff at the end of a completed story.

And finally, I don't think it was clearly labeled. Checking... nope. Comixology lists its page count as 27 pages,* and doesn't mention that the story is only 20 of 'em. I would not have purchased a $4 comic if I'd known there would be only 20 story pages. I mean, other people can, that's fine, that's market forces, but saying it's 27 pages? That's misleading. Yeah, I know it's pretty immaterial in the long. Just a dollar. But it's obnoxious.

*Which is wrong. I am clearly counting 20 + 8.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  11. Hound of UIster

He has said that if he had done more All-Star, he would use the animated Brainiac. Barring the problems of the shared universe, an animated Brainiac would work the best imo with Superman story instead of the Coluan scientist.

12. Admiral_Young

We do know that Morrison loves to pull from all aspects of the character's past so yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he used the Animated Brainiac...who happens to be one of my favourite incarnations of the character.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Brainiac as Kryptonian is certainly a tighter story; it's what you'd probably do if you were writing the character into a Superman movie - the tendency is most often to try to tie the lives and even existence of the hero and villain together.

14. Admiral_Young

Oh and Dennis...I wouldn't be surprised if Kandor was bottled in the city ship, just to reply to your earlier comment. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this arc and beyond when we catch up to the present. I knew that I was gonna love Action.

15. Myasishchev

I dunno. I like Colu. My favorite Brainiac's still animated, though, but it's not really DCAU, it's its own little bubble--the LSH Brainiac. That is a perfect example of reimagination done right.

Then again, they were making him the nemesis of Brainiac 5, not Superman, so the narrative purposes differ.

Of course, if they used the DCAU Brainiac, Querl really makes even less sense than he already does. "Hi, I'm Hitler 5--no relation."

Here's a fun query: does the colloquialism "brainiac" exist in the DC Universe? Explain your answer.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Of course, it won't be a literal glass jar like in the old days, right? Check out the concept drawings and notes for Kandor on Krypton - instead of shrinking it he probably folds it into an nth-dimensional tesseract maintained at the edge of a naked singularity...or something. I have no idea what any of the words I just typed mean.

17. Admiral_Young

Unless Morrison goes an entire different direction completely with Krypton and has all facets of the planet destroyed making Kara and Kal-El truly the last son of Krypton. That would be something different for once.

Johns retconned the shrinking technology for New Krypton, I think Brainiac used some kind of highly advanced Coluan nanotech to shrink the city.

@Myasichev...indeed if this is a Kryptonian Brainiac it makes Brainy's existence rather interesting. We also know that Clark still has some connection to the Legion since the three founders were referenced in issue one.

18. Myasishchev

Brainiac = computer. (Probably. Maybe. He at least has a computer.)

I actually sort of like the bottle, but if you were gonna update it, I'd eschew technobabble and just have it be a bit more direct.

Apropos of nothing, remember when Morrison claimed that the Matrix was a ripoff of the Invisibles?

Yeah, I mean, that's par. Brainiac 5's been a bit fucked, or at least convoluted, ever since they turned Brainiac 1 into a robot back in the 80s, let alone all that post-Crisis Milton Fine/Vril Dox stuff. I think I've mentioned this before, but I thought Brainiac 5 was a robot well before I ever watched the cartoon.

19. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do I need to read the rest of Dc universe if I just want to read Ivampire.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Is the 80s when they made Brainiac look like a robot? Because they turned him into one in the mid 60s - they claimed at the time that they'd known in-house that he was a machine ever since his second or third appearance.

Pretty much you need to read about fifty of the comics, yeah, if you want the vampire story continuity and mythology to make sense. I think you can skip OMAC; I'm not sure about Blackhawks.