Is My Cat’s Food Safe if a Raccoon Got into the Bag?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ro_Laren, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

My garage door was open and a raccoon went in and made a mess of things. We had two bags of IAMS dry cat food in a plastic bin and the raccoon jumped up, knocked it down and ripped the bags. According to my father, who found the mess, the cat food wasn’t thrown around. But, if what my dad says is true, that doesn’t mean that the raccoon didn’t stick his nose or paw into the bags and spread his nasty germs around.

What do I do now? Iams cat food is expensive, but I don’t want my cats to get sick. Should I risk it and give them the potentially raccoon-yuckified IAMS cat food or throw the food away and buy some new food? We just bought a new bag of cat food the other day. What a waste of $10!!!!

2. judgeroy

judgeroy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Believe it or not, Raccoons are some of the cleanest wild animals there are, even though they do eat dead things. With that said, however, I am not sure I would trust it. Rabies is spread from body fluids, so I would toss it.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

But does saliva transmit diseases that easily?

I'd throw it out anyways.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd throw it out. Your kitty cats rely on you to protect them from that kind of harm. They're not going to know about it when they eat it, so I would recommend throwing it out and getting new food. Yeah, IAMS is expensive, but I know you feel the well-being of your kitty cats is far more valuable. :)

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yes, throw it out. Better safe than sorry.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Boil it for a few hours down to a paste, then spread the paste and allow it to dry over a few more hours in the oven. Break it up into kibble.

7. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It might be ok, the thing you have to worry about with wild animals is Rabies, Toxoplasmosis, Heterakis, Hepatitis E, Fleas and Ticks and other Parasites. I would be more worried about a Rat coming into your house and getting at the food, the average human is never more than 7ft away from a Rat and Rats carry hundreds and hundreds of diseases some of them deadly to both animals and humans. If you have a habit of leaving your garage door open and you leave animal food around then you probably have a Rat problem and don't even know about it.

8. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

Hunt down the raccoon, and serve it to kitty for dinner. Justice is served.

9. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

This. New IAMS will cost you, but less than a vets bill.

10. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Maybe the cat and the raccoon can learn to share. Racoons and cats can be friends!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ5Ycohiiao[/yt]

11. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I agree. Toss the food. It's much better than a vet bill. As for the video... that is a very relaxed raccoon. The wild ones around here are mean furry putzes...

12. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

There have been a few rabid raccoons out this way in the past year. I hope your kitty has been vaccinated for rabies, but honestly why risk it?

13. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, rabies is transmitted through saliva. Throw it out; it's not worth it.

14. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I say, feed it to your kitty cat. If it dies, it was a bad idea... The call is yours.