Future Imperfect

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Photon, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

I wish FI would have remained a Romulan episode and a two-parter. I hated the way it ended.

2. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I liked the ending and found Barash tragic and sympathetic. Another "intrigue" episode with fake scenarios to gain info is too reminiscent of a lot of other episodes.

the twist they went with made it more unique.

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^I'm with you, Sonak.

4. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

I too, liked the ending. :bolian:

5. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed it, it was good misdirection I thought, we watch it thinking "those sneaky Romulans, what are they up to now?" and it turns out it's the boy! Who doesn't even look like that, and was just feeling lonely! Well done I think!

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Barash looked like one of those Gray aliens we always hear about. I wonder if they intended to follow up on that.

7. TerragonSix

TerragonSix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good episode, but I will agree it did seem a little rushed. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I would prefer an episode with a too fast tempo instead of a slow one.

There's only so much you can stuff into a 50 min episode though, I thought it was well done. The music scores are pretty good in this episode, especially at the part where Riker says to the kid/alien "I don't wanna play anymore."

8. Photon

Riker to picard...."shut, that close your mouth, stop talking" WIN:guffaw:

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I also enjoyed this episode. Being mislead a couple of times made it interesting.

10. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember being a bit disappointed that it was not the Romulans behind it all in the end. I liked TNG's Romulans so nothing against anyone else's point of view.

11. Photon

It seems that had them a great Romulan episode but couldn't figure out what to do w/Rikar stuck on the Warbird, in one episode.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I thought it was wrapped up well with a double twist ending.

RAMA

13. TerragonSix

TerragonSix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, that was pretty good.

Riker: "Shut Up!"

A pause.

Picard: "I beg your pardon?"

Riker "I said shut up! As in close your mouth and stop talking!"

Yeah, that was pretty funny. :lol:

Also, the part where Riker figures out that his 'wife' was only a holographic program. That part, and watching Riker's facial expression turn from bright to dark in a nanosecond as the realization hit him - was pretty good acting, as well as a great music cue.

14. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I admit the bit with Minuet was good. That was when Riker knew something else was going on, and he didn't like it one little bit. Go, Number One!

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Fun episode, and brilliantly utilized for the 20/20 feature broadcast prior to the start of season four, when we were all up in arms about how Best of Both Worlds would turn out -- suddenly, Riker's a captain! Geordi can see! WTF!!!!

I also love the hook that Minuet was his wife and that this one little clue was what burst Barash's little bubble.

16. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Future Imperfect is definitely one of my favourite episodes. I thought the pacing was spot on and like RAMA, enjoyed the double twist ending.

Yeah, that was cool. I didn't catch the issue at first (hey I hadn't seen the Bynar episode in years), so it was a nice reveal when they explained it.

17. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

... I wonder how many microseconds Riker spent thinking "I married a hologram? What was I thinking? Save for the obvious, of course..." until he realized that "If my wife was a hologram, then how come I have a son?" and abandoned the first line of thought.

Although, given 24th century medical technology, Riker couldn't really rule out having a son with a hologram, either.

Timo Saloniemi

18. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

^Entirely irrelevant. The whole point about 11001001 at the end was that the Minuet program was gone, deleted, lost forever. Which is probably partly why Riker's memory of her remained so special, and why he was able to realize (nearly) instantly that the whole sham was ... well, a sham.

19. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Riker were driven enough to marry the thing, he'd probably also have the drive and thus eventually the means to bring it back from oblivion.

Yes, realizing that you're supposed to have been married to a corpse can be unsettling. But in Star Trek, that's not really guarantee of anything much. Riker is having a reaction the audience intuitively understands, but Riker himself should not.

Timo Saloniemi

20. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

come on, you're being silly. Riker's supposed to accept that he married and had a son with a hologram? This is mid-series TNG, not late-series VOY.

It works for the audience and the character. He should very well know something's up. At that time, holograms couldn't even LEAVE THE HOLODECK, much less reproduce and live as a spouse.