TV Ratings (Monday 23rd March)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Jax, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

-Total Viewers:
    ABC: 16.71 million, CBS: 10.29, Fox: 8.99, NBC: 6.36, CW: 2.23

-Adults 18-49:
    ABC: 4.2 rating/11 share, CBS: 3.4/9, Fox: 3.0/8, NBC: 2.4/6, CW: 1.1/3

ABC

CBS

FOX

NBC

CW

2. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Hopefully good word of mouth will turn Heroes numbers around... demo is hanging by a thread.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Wow, bad ratings all around for my shows. I guess it was unrealistic to expect the actual rating of Heroes to go up because it was the Bryan Fuller episode; after all who outside of internet chat groups would even be aware of that? Hopefully next week will match or raise, though.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Heroes should be canceled right now, NBC should just go "We already canceled that shit show". It's not only a terrible show with terrible ratings that deserves to die, but now it's taking Medium down with it.

5. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

am I the only one who is enjoying this Volume (BBC 2 pace) ?

6. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

No, Chuck is taking Heroes down with it! :mad:

7. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

I really hope you're joking about that.

8. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I personally think it's the other way around.

9. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WTF happened to How I met your mother?? Is DWTS taking it down? And is that a good rating for Castle??

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^

CBS screwed up HIMYM by airing it in the normal slot for TBBT but no one knew so most people thought it would be a TBBT repeat at 8pm and normal HIMYM at 8:30pm, so they loss 2-3 million viewers in the process. Whoever made that call to air it at 8pm should be sacked for being a total idiot.

Chuck is taking itself down just like Heroes, neither have anysort of affect on each other. Chuck for me is dead now as is Medium, which is suffering from Heroes as many 10pm shows really need a strong lead in to survive unless your a house hold name like CSI but then again CBS always has strong 9pm lead ins.

Heroes will be cancelled next year, there is now no doubt, what a fall from grace ey :(

11. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Dancing with the Stars does seem to be a beast. I like seeing how it does against AI.

12. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Except most experts have been saying the exact opposite. When Chuck started out this season they were averaging 8 to 9 million viewers. Now it's 6. Heroes is the flagship show on Monday's. That's just a fact. Chuck is the orderves to Heroes main course to Mediums desert. The decline in viewership to both Chuck and Medium occurred at the exact same time as the decline in quality of Heroes and the publics dissatisfaction with it. I don't think that's a coincidence. If it is, it's one hell of one. The decline in Chuck and Medium's ratings have nothing to do with their quality. But rather the stiff competention on Monday's combined with the publics distain for Heroes. If people don't like the food, they ain't gonna eat the onion rings before it or the ice cream after it.

Medium probably is gone. Because it's never been that great ratings wise and it's becoming expensive. The only reason they didn't get rid of it after last season is that Lifetime would have gotten the rights to it.

Chuck could go either way. It's ratings and demos are crap. But it still does better then a good portion of NBC's other scripted shows, which is just sad. But it costs less then most of their shows, so they do make money on it. It's also a critics darling, and NBC loves those. And the higher ups seem to like it as well. The only thing keeping Chuck from getting Friday Night Lights numbers is the fact that it has a very vocal cult following as well. And most people seem to understand that a small little cult show going head to head with juggernauts like DWTS, House, 24, and CBS's Monday Comedy Block just isn't going to happen. What it needs is a new night or a move to USA, where it would fit in nicely back to back with Burn Notice.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ I fail to see how a 9pm show can affect a 8pm show in Chuck, lets face it the show has never grabbed an audience and the writers strike made sure of that In fact the writers strike may of been a blessing because if it had a full 1st season, what we are seeing now could have occured in People don't want to watch it just like Heroes because they don't like it, sadly TREK BBS viewers don't make up the normal viewings of the TV world or TV might be actually half decent :)
    Chuck should be cancelled but I still call it 50/50 and Heroes will end next year unless it can rise to at least 8 million, ideally a 18 or 19 episode season 4 could leave into a 5th season of 21 or 22 to hit 100 and end the show but I don't see that happening now.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shows overall have been showing erosion in ratings - it's a general trend as cable sucks up more broadcast network viewers. And I have seen way too many counter-examples to believe that there is any correlation between quality and ratings.

I'm also skeptical about the whole "lead-in" phenomenon. That might be true for lowest common denomenator shows like reality TV and cop shows, where the audience is just watching whatever happens to be in front of their faces, but for both Chuck and Heroes (and Medium too) I'd say they all have established audiences that watch a particular show or shows and the placement of those shows is irrelevant. Networks cling to the lead-in philosophy because it gives them an illusion of control over increasingly uncontrollable TV audiences.
    And there's that, too. :D But the whole NBC Monday night is advertised as a package with cross-promotion between them, so presumably they can help each other out by sharing audiences. But it's futile; I watch Chuck and Heroes because I like them, but no amount of advertising will induce me to watch Medium. Already tried it, not for me.

15. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I've demonstrated in the past, I readily admit I don't understand all this ratings stuff, but count me as another person skeptical of this as well. It makes no sense to me that I'm going to necessarily watch the show following the current show I'm watching just because it's on the same channel. (with the possible exception of 1/2 hour sitcoms)

This isn't 1960 anymore. People have remote controls. People have multiple channels to choose from. I just think the concept that people are tied to a channel is outdated.

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Renew/Cancel still sanguine about Chuck and Medium returning.

Parks & Recreation looks DOA to me. Southland looks like a wholly generic cop show, and a lot of those survive just fine, but do we really need another? And since it's not on CBS, it won't be advertised to the audience for those shows. If those two crash & burn like I expect, Chuck is absolutely safe.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

NBC might need to drop that sort of thing because at the moment they can't get a single mega hit never mind a group of them together. I know its good to build a good night around shows that can keep each other numbers for viewers but they need to focus on just the slots where they can pick up viewers and the only real night they can do a big package is Thursdays due to 4 comedies airing that night...

I was thinking about NBC earlier and had a look at there lineup and this what I think they must do...BUT will post in new post cause quite large post

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

MY NBC 2009/2010 Basic Plan

* Scrap all 10pm shows with the exception of any overrun from SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (I know the Jay Leno thing is happening but am unsure just how many hours that will be taking).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fall IDEAS.

* Heroes given 18 episode pickup, if it gets back into 8 million-ish range then extend episode pickup by 1 to write something could lead into a final 5th season of 22 eps to hit and end on 100. Day One at 8pm so it can try to bring a good start for the night that could follow into Heroes but even that show sounds dodgy TBH.

* Law & Order SVU should be moved to a 9pm slot and cancel LIFE (sorry people needs axing)

* TBL needs no change its a solid show for NBC

* 30 Rock can kick off a night and score at least 7 million IMO, better to use The Office to lead in for the new show being created by The Office creators. My Name is Earl should be given 12 episode pickup to break 100 then END it and replace for midseason. If 30 Rock is struggling then shift it around with The Office.

* Assuming Chuck doesn't go below 6 million again and stays there, I would give it a 9-13 episode pickup to anchor a friday night lineup at 8pm so pressure would be off a little. On Fridays I would accept 6.5 -7 million though at the same time no more than 18 episodes a season.

FALL

MON - Day One/Heroes

TUE - New Show/L&O SVU

WED - The Biggest Loser (2 hour)

THU - 30 Rock/The Office/Parks & Recreation/My Name Is Earl

FRI - Chuck/New Show

SUN - Football In America/Sunday Night Football

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mid-Season IDEAS.

* No need to for much change unless shows are being canned, try to keep the aduience you get in the fall without moving too many things around

* My Name Is Earl replaced for new comedy

* Dateline heads Sun at 7pm with FNL at 8pm, which I knows doesn't seem to have the same type of audience but fridays don't work and why not have FNL on the night NBC normally airs NFL on after the season ends.

* Law & Order given a shortern FINAL 20th season to burn off on sundays at 9pm.

MID-SEASON

MON - Day One/Heroes

TUE - New Show/L&O SVU

WED - The Biggest Loser (2 hour)

THU - 30 Rock/The Office/Parks & Recreation/New Show

FRI - Chuck/New Show (assuming Chuck not canned)

SUN - Datline/Friday Night Lights/Law & Order (after NFL season and remember night starts at 7pm not 8pm)

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

What's wrong with Parks & Recreation? It's from the Office folks and it stars a bunch of funny people. I'm really looking forward to it.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Nothing who said anything about it being bad ?