The Lights of Zetar

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by evangelist6589, Mar 28, 2014.

1. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I've never known it to fail. Some big hard-boiled egg gets a look at a pretty face and bang, he cracks up and goes sappy! ;)

2. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

By the 23rd century, they've "learned not to fear words", something we would do well to do today. :) (though I do see your point)

Indeed, I remember seeing one of our old high school 'tough guys' some years later in a store, carrying a big bouquet of flowers. :lol:

3. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

GOD yes! "What about the girl?" "How will this affect the girl?"

JEEZ! No wonder women's lib hit hard a few years later! :lol:

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

In "Is There In Truth No Beauty?", it seemed a bit jarring even back in 1968 when both Kirk and McCoy referred to Miranda Jones as a "girl." She's clearly a grown woman! :techman:

I could post a link to the title song from Guys and Dolls, but I think one movie reference per thread is enough.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

It gets even worse when the aliens say "We only want the girl." If anyone should have referred to her as a woman or a female it was them.

6. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There’s a “WOW!” moment – or an intended one – when Spock answer’s Kirk’s question with: “Not what it is, Captain. What are they.” Bah-bah-baaah!

Obviously this is the big moment when Spock tells us they are life forms, but all he really did was tell us there’s a number of “things.” I always felt the line should have been “not what is it, Captain. WHO are THEY.” A very minor nitpick, but it always jumps out at me. Meh, I just wanted to contribute...

7. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The new main screen graphic was a welcome addition.

8. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The what? :confused:

Edit: I get it now. The girl.

9. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Absolutely!!!! Two reasons this is an episode to watch.

------------------------

I usually don't have any issues with silly science in Trek, but the idea of high atmospheric pressure affecting incorporeal energy-thought beings who are remnants of fleshy folk (aka ghosts) was a bridge too far for me. It's just too inconsistent with the premise of the Lights.

But I do enjoy this episode.

10. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

I assume you're making a veiled reference to the episode's writers, Shari Lewis (of "Lambchop" fame) and her husband?

(I wonder which of the two was responsible for all the appearances of "girl" in the script...)

11. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amen to that. But couldn't the point be that the pressure was a way to torture the g... Mira Romaine without actually doing serious permanent harm to her, thereby making the ghosts very uncomfortable? I mean, it's not as if they'd worry about Romaine feeling pain as such - but they'd be very uneasy with the prospect of her body failing. They even express moral qualms about the earlier deaths, adding (ever-so-slightly) to their motivation not to remain in a dying body.

Sure, that's not what the writers meant, but it's better than trying to believe high pressure is the "environment deadly to the alien form" they speak of earlier on... And it's consistent with Kirk's threats about putting an end to it after speaking about cost. The Lights would have every reason to think Kirk is killing the g... the female guest star.

Placing Romaine in zero gee would then make it doubly enticing for the Zetarians to leave the body of the... woman and return to an environment they are more comfortable with.

Timo Saloniemi

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

At least Spock was enlightened enough not to yell, "THE GIRLS!!!!!"

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4MCMHFGtks[/yt]

13. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

For a great many years, the sound quality of the copy I had watched made me think Spock is yelling "No women!" there, having used his superior logic to deduce the foolishness of including fertile breeders in the landing party - just a few seconds too late...

Timo Saloniemi

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Shari Lewis intended to play the part herself. Maybe she referred to herself as "a girl" in those days?

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Spock hadn't taken Introduction to Logic yet.

Shari Lewis was pretty hot when I was watching her show in 1960. Of course, she was 27 then, I was 9, and didn't think of girls as 'hot' in those days. She was the first female ventriloquist I'd ever seen, and she was better looking than Paul Winchell.

16. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Scaddy-waddy-doodoo- baby!

Shari did a Man From UNCLE episode around that time. Yah, she was a hottie!

17. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She was actually a decent actress and would have looked amazing in the short costume. In The Man from UNCLE (The Off-Off-Broadway Affair) she revealed an amazing pair of legs.

{which Forbin already stated and I was too lazy to read...}