The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by surak-toc, May 20, 2013.

1. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

Right so we have a lot of material to go on for a new series, temporal agency thingy, section 31 is possible, or maybe a series from the klingons point of view, maybe something to do with the vulcans, all series set around the abrahamverse trek, the sky's the limit if anything happens...

2. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

God, please, NO TEMPORAL COLD WAR, PLEASE!

3. surak-toc

By the temporal thing I meant department of temporal investigations

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Wow...pretty much everything I don't want to see in a new Trek show.
    :weep:

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

So Timecop then? Or if they travel through time Doctor Who.

I'm just not sure if it has the legs, it also sounds expensive to produce multiple sets for each episode, little to no real standing sets if you are travelling through time.

Whilst maybe an interesting idea I don't think it's feasible.

6. surak-toc

ok, so yeah maybe its not that feasible and a big budget may be needed, what would be a good idea you reckon..

7. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I really don't think that a Klingon PoV or Vulcan PoV would be appealing to anybody but hardcore fans. A Klingon PoV or Vulcan PoV could work as an episode in a series, but making the whole series like that would not bring in casual viewers. Temporal Agency Thingy would be once again hard to do to bring in casual viewers, Section 31 could work if it is done right, as a spy series intersecting from time to time with the main universe. It would be more OK to do a series in the abrahamverse set aboard a starship different than the Enterprise that would be kicked of by a crossover with the movie Enterprise and some of the crew, and it would have higher ratings if they could cast some of the stars of the movies as recurring or regulars characters. But than again, I don't think they would do a series where they would compromise their own big screen adventures with some on screen continuity. I think it would be more interesting rebooting TNG in the abramsverse though ... Because of the new universe they would have the liberty to choose from established characters not only from TNG but DS9 and VOY as well, and they could mix them up as well as give them different roles. Now there they could have some fun with the established continuity, there you can have a sky is the limit scenario :)

8. surak-toc

now that idea sounds a lot more promising

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Time travel is overused in Trek as is. It's freaking easier to go back in time a 100 years than to warp from point a to point b conventionally.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Humans on a starship or GTFO.

11. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Humans on a space-station can work too, if done properly. :)

12. surak-toc

i think if another series like that would happen then it would have to be far further into the future maybe, either that or maybe a series of star trek vanguard if that's plausible or not.

13. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The relentless insistence on treating the fictional science in SF as equivalent to fantasy means that all you have left is the characters. Treknology is retro, and it makes the stories retro. Going retro means choosing the old ideas.

The recent movies have given us Bond in Space meets the Odd Couple. But Spock is not Felix Unger. Given the ineptitude of the character work, there are very few ideas for a new show. That's why we're already reduced in the movie series to an alternate-universe remake of Wrath of Khan.

What they're not going to do is write SF stories with any relevance, no matter how strongly the characters' choices would define them. The only conceivable "interesting" characters in this mindset are cool, bad ass clichés, which means modern day characters. The disconnect between those characters and the supposed future will inevitably disconnect real emotional investment for anyone who doesn't identify with a particular sock puppet.

14. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Vanguard would be fun :)

15. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I seriously have no idea what you're talking about.

16. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^That's okay, there won't be a quiz. What I'm saying only matters if I'm right. Otherwise, either you like the cool new characters or you don't, and there's nothing to discuss anyhow.

But if this is a hint to rephrase?

Para. 1 Good style in fictional science is more interesting and entertaining than mashing everything together without any thought.

Para. 2 The new characters are not really thought through, and already the only story idea they can come up with is to remake Wrath of Khan.

Para. 3 If you don't happen to identify with the extremely conventional, marketing driven approach to characterization in the new franchise, you're out of luck.

17. surak-toc

i think if the shows done right then one about a new enterprise team set on the enterprise J, we don't know to much so it will be good to see.

18. C.E. Evans

Oh God, any ship but the Enterprise-J! Can't stand that overgrown pizza cutter.

As far as I'm concerned, that was something from only a potential future like the "All Good Things..." Enterprise-D was.

19. surak-toc

i'm sure they would redesign it to make it look alot better

20. C.E. Evans

A totally different design would help, but any glimpse into Trek's future really isn't set in stone anyway. The real Enterprise-J likely won't look anything like that one shown in "Azati Prime" and may even come at a different point in time.