Best Audio Book?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Sindatur, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Tom previously appeared in some of the novels (Verdigris, maybe others), but Wildthyme at Large is Panda's first appearance. His backstory has been hinted at in the short stories (especially Miss Wildthyme and Friends Investigate), but that's it so far.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, I finished Wildthyme at Large. She's over the top, brash and abrasive, a character I would generally be quite annoyed by, but, once I got over the shock over her abrasiveness and loudness, I found I quite like the Character. I've got the First two Series, so, I'll be lsitening to them for a little bit. She's just so Trailer Trash, it's hard not like her :D

Omaha, if you see this thread, I was wondering if you like Iris Wildthyme any better than Jo Grant?

3. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I've done my best to avoid her so far. The one and only story I've listened to with her in it was a Six story (with Seven doing a cameo) where they were stuck in a bar she owned, and there was something about a regenerated Iris trying to kill the first one. Since she isn't even trying to alter the voice to make Iris a different character from Jo, and they are acted exactly the same, I just pictured Useless through the story and wondered why Six didn't just try to kill her?

4. Sindatur

Voice not altered? Hmmm...that sounds like a very different portrayal than I am listening to now. The Iris I am listening to, is coming off as a loud mouth, slurring, Trailer Trash floozy. I had no idea it was Katy Manning at first, LOL.

Speaking of Irritating companions, I gained a whole new appreciation for Mel in the Unbound Valleyard story

5. OmahaStar

Uh huh ... Like I said.

6. Sindatur

Ouch. Fair enough, I know she's never been a favorite of yours.

Jo never sounded like to me though

7. Stevil2001

Yeah, I don't really like Jo (at least in the 1970s, she was fun in Death of the Doctor and The Companion Chronicles), but Katy-as-Iris is fantastic. I've not heard her own series, but I did like Excelis Dawns and The Plague Herds of Excelis.

8. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Snap.

Excelis was pretty good, I keep planning on getting the Iris stuff but haven't yet.

I like the multi doctor adventures done in that style.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The trouble with this nine hour recording is that I'd fall asleep listening and it would still be playing when I woke up.

David does a really good take on his dad. :)

10. Sindatur

Just downloaded Spare Parts (Still have to Unzip it and burn to Disc), and I've still $9.00 in My Paypal Account (Spare Parts was $7.99 US, however, it charged me 5pound31 [Or 5.31 Pounds, if that's wrong terminology] which converted to $8.86, so I figure $9.00 one more download will be covered)

So, I think I want to try a Colin Baker. Is The Holy Terror (as mentioned early on) The Best Colin Baker, or is there a better one (Or one, that might be a good companion to Spare Parts?)

If a good companion to Spare parts, should one be listened to before the other?

Oh, and is Lungbarrow, the only Media that Covers that area (That's related to Cartmel Master Plan, Right?) or are there some audios that play with Cartmel's Master Plan?

Edit: Ooh, just realized Sally Knyvette (That's Jenna from B7 right?) is in Spare Parts

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  11. OmahaStar

Have you already gotten The Marian Conspiracy? If not, I would recommend that with no reservations. TMC introduces my favorite Colin companion, Evelyn.

12. Sindatur

No, I have Colin in Gallifrey Adventures, and I believe Zagreus and/or Neverland, but, I don't believe I have any other Colin Audios

I'll look for that one next. Is there a good Colin/6 Cybermen/Companion piece to Spare Parts, to listen to back to back? Iris will take about another week, and then I'm going to need something else to listen on the commute (Spare parts and Now Marian Conspiracy will be on deck, after Iris is done S1/S2)

ETA: Downloading Marian Conspiracy now
    (Just noticed, your Favorite 6 Audio is BF#6 according to my Download Account record at BF)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  13. OmahaStar

I didn't say it was my favorite. That may still be the pirate musical one. Yes, Six sings!

But we all have our favorite companions - audio, print, and on screen. Evelyn was, in many ways, the prototype for Donna Noble. She's much older than the typical companion, and in every way a match for the Doctor. This one is her introduction. She's been in quite a few of the audios, but it's good to know how they met, and the early early early stories are usually less pricey than the more recent ones.

Also, this link might be of interest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_audio_plays_by_Big_Finish

If you're looking for a Cyberman specific adventure, try The Reaping. It's Six, the Cybs, along with Peri ... and Babylon 5's Claudia Christian as Peri's mother.

14. Stevil2001

Evelyn is great, but I find The Marian Conspiracy so-so outside of its fabulous introduction for her.

The Reaping is indeed a good Cyberman story.

Everyone praises the bejeezus out of The Holy Terror, but I have not heard it yet. My favorite standalone audios with Colin Baker are probably Davros and Jubilee. The Condemned and Arrangements for War are excellent, too, but slot into complicated story arcs.

15. Sindatur

OK, so, I have 2 1/2 Iris Episodes left (Commute is about 3/4 of an episode per day) and The Stone Rose, which is 2 Disc BBC(?) 10/Rose story (I got this one and the Steam Punk Tennant/Rose one, before I learned about Big Finish, but, haven't listed to it yet). So, I'll finish up that CD Wallet, and then on to:

Spare parts
    The Reaping
    The Marian Conspiracy

Then I'll move on to something I already own, like The Harry Potter Books (This will be a few months), or another listen through Gallifrey

Once I get through all that, I intend to have a few more Big Finish Stories in my pocket ready to listen to.

I think I'd like an Arc. Perhaps the Charley/8 Alt Universe Arc or a Sylvester McCoy Arc (Or maybe I'll fall in love with Evelyn/6), or is there any good Arch Villian Arc?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  16. OmahaStar

That's so cute. :) I love the way you think there's an option. :rommie:

17. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just listened to spare parts for the first time. That was excellent.

One of the best Big Finishes I have heard.

18. Sindatur

I'm loooking forward to listening to Spare Parts. At the tail end of Iris Wildthyme 2.3, so only 1 more episode to go. Rather confusing who Iris' target audience is? The stories are a bit juvenile, but, there's far too much approval of overindulgence in alcohol (And some pretty strong sexual inuendos) for them to actually be aimed at kids? Episode 2.3 is kinda neat though, there's a bit of a parody of Davison to C. Baker Regeneration in parts of it, including a couple lines lifted directly from it such as, "There was only enough for you, I might regenerate" and "For Good or Ill, I AM Iris Wildthyme"

19. Sindatur

Finished Spare Parts, loved the Story, thanks for all the Recommendations for it. Bonus points for the references to the properly used "Creepy Cloth Faced" version. They really are the creepiest version, IMHO. :bolian:

Finished the first disc of The Reaping. In the opening, Peri's voice was really off and childish sounding, I thought she was playing a 10 or 12 year old, until they said she was 18? Throughout the first disc, she often slips into that "little girl voice", though msotly she sounds properly like Peri. I didn't notice this at all in The Doctor Who Unbound story she's in, so, I wonder was this Nicola Bryant's first (Or one of her first) returns to the character after alot of years, and she was struggling to get the voice down? Enjoying the story so far, and definitely nice to do back to back Cybermen stories like this

20. OmahaStar

I just listened to another Cyberman story that I quite liked. It's from season 1 of the Companion Chronicles. Caroline John returned as Liz Shaw in "The Blue Tooth" ... In it, it's several years after she left the Doctor and UNIT. She is telling someone the story of the end of her tenure. It just happened to be during a Cyberman invasion. Only, a very different sort of invasion, with a different sort of Cyberman.

Loved hearing Caroline as Liz once more, though it's sad that I didn't do it until after she passed away. Now I want to get the rest of her CCs.