Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Enterprise is Great, Jul 10, 2013.

1. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

Although I don't mind variable aspect ratio releases, in fact, The Dark Knight/Rises IMAX footage is spectacular, who's to say what's technically right or wrong?

James Cameron shot Avatar with BOTH open matte and cropped versions in mind for example. I haven't seen the STID IMAX scenes, but the framing throughout the film looked spot on to my eye - despite the cropping.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I saw the film four times in regular 2D. I doubt I'll even notice it.

3. Scruggernaut

Scruggernaut Ensign Red Shirt

*deleted this, consolidated posts*

4. Scruggernaut

Having seen the film in 2D, 3D, and IMAX 3D (twice). It's something I'm going to notice. (And did, upon a rewatch on my computer last weekend.) I want my IMAX scenes.

Well, there's that pesky artistic vision that could give you an idea of what's technically right and wrong, when you consider that shooting in IMAX is an artistic decision.

It becomes a slippery slope of editing that slips into Star Wars Special Edition territory.

*kanye shrug*

5. LOKAI of CHERON

Don't know what a "kanye shrug" is?

I've seen the open matte version of Titanic and own Avatar. In both cases the shot composition in MANY of the scenes look way too "loose" and detract from the visuals IMHO.

The perceived "artistic vision" is of course completely subjective.

6. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I think it's the stupid look on your face when you steal the microphone away from the real winner at an awards show and suddenly realize you're a jack-ass.

7. Scruggernaut

Well, no, it's not subjective really. The director is the leader of the film and has a certain 'vision' of what he wants scenes and shots to look and feel like, and achieves this (in this case) with an IMAX 70mm camera. Anything outside of that detracts from what JJ Abrams intended the film to look like and therefore is a modified and (imo) inferior product. Simple as that.

The point being, I've cancelled my pre-order of Star Trek Into Darkness and won't purchase it until a superior product is made available, whether that be an international version or an updated release (which is in the realm of possibility seeing how wide this story has spread).

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'll be honest here, when I watched The Dark Knight the shifting aspect ratio threw me right out of the movie and it isn't something I'm a fan of.

So I'm more than happy that the film has a consistent aspect ratio all the way through.

9. RollTide1017

RollTide1017 Ensign Red Shirt

I posted this in the other thread and thought I'd post it here too.

Heads up guys, go to CinemaNow.com and sign in or create an account. Search for "Star Trek" and the exclusive Best Buy extra features, with a 30 minute run time, show up as a "free title" purchase. Unfortunately you have to have a cc on the site to complete the purchase but, the price is $0.00. I have a feeling that this is a mistake so, act quickly.

EDIT: I can confirm that it works, watching the features right now. If it's a mistake, serves them right IMO.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  10. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think this release is different from previous "retailer exclusives" because the features on the regular release seem so light and fluffy. I'm most upset about the lack of a commentary track.
    "That being said"... I'm not cancelling my pre-order. I'm getting the phaser set! And maybe the target set. I can just ebay the extra film discs I have and keep the bonus discs. What am I going to do with a DVD of the movie anyways? Blu-ray is the way to go. I don;t mind digital copies, but nothing yet replaces the quality of blu ray on a nice big tv, plus, I can lend my movie out.
    I do understand the anger over this release though, but for the most part, I didn't really get into the special features on the last JJ Trek movie.
    Now, CBS and their Trek TV releases on Blu? There's some real extra value there, and they seem to be doing the fans right. Even there though, Best Buy had a few short extra features through CinemaNow not on the discs, but Best Buy paid for those features to be made. But I always prefer physical media, even for bonus content.

11. Tommunist

Awesome! Thanks! Woreked for me! Plus, if you have an Ultraviolet account and link it to CinemaNow, you get to choose ten free movies (in standard definition) from a list of films. Not the greatest selection, but the original "Battlestar Galactica" movie is one of them. Now I had already linked my UV account to them, but tried, anyways, and it worked!

As I said previously, I prefer physical media, but like the portability of these cloud based digital copies. And the fact that the different services generally play nice with each other. So the cinemanow stuff shows up on Flixtser and Vudu (and they both also have free movie offers for signing up).

Yeah, they'd like you to just buy movies through their digital services, but I will resist that. Blu-ray bit rate is just better, and I don't need an internet connection to enjoy. But if the Blu-ray I buy comes with a digital copy, why not take advanatge of that?

Thanks again for the tip!

12. Gsam

Gsam Lieutenant Red Shirt

I too have put this on my list on cinema now account. I don't know the logic behind doing this but so be it. I agree that liking the digital copy but unless I just have bad luck the last few movies I purchased had "digital copy" but really was the ultra violet format. I liked it when you bought the movie and the digital copy was downloaded. With ultra violet you need the internet connection (if I am wrong on this fact please let me know) which for me defeats the purpose of having digital copy. I like download so I needn't worry about availability of internet while on the go. At the very least I would like a choice about this because I also have found with ultra violet that you need a separate account for each studio. Again it has been awhile so this may have changed.

13. Tommunist

Upon further review, I wonder if Best Buy and/or Paramount is throwing us a bone on this. Because the Best Buy listing for their "Exclusive" set doesn't mention the 30 minutes of extra footage on the webpage for it. It was there before the bad press began.
    Maybe giving it up for all is a peace-offering? I know the Canadian Best Buy exclusive will actually have this on a physical disc (don't know if Blu-ray or DVD).
    Grab it if you can, this one actually looks decent enough. Hopefully Target's extras will be good too.

14. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

That makes my decision easy.
    I'll just get the cheapest one I can find. :)

15. Tommunist

Depending on the movie, and the application being used (and format: phone? Computer? PS3?) you can download the movies. But it's confusing to say the least! I like have a UV account, a VUDU account, a Flixster account and several of the studios. It was a hassle setting them all up. But now that I do, titles I redeem show up on all of them automtaically (for the most part, sometimes it takes a few days).

For a computer, try Vudu's VUDO2Go program, it allows you to download the titles to your computer. I believe the VUDU app for the PS3 also allows downloading to the hard drive.

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

An update on that; TrekCore have reported that the Aussie Big W release will have exclusive extras on it...but no confirmation yet beyond the website listing...

Villain Piece - Opening Sequence Piece - Movie Magic Piece - Bad Ship Piece - Makeup/VFX/Allen - Post Production Piece - Making of Piece - Fan Contest Piece - Mission Continues Piece - Deleted Scenes - Bloopers - Easter Eggs - Roundtable

http://tinyurl.com/k26tjl7

I dunno, seems like a lot of extras that aren't mentioned anywhere else to be dropping on an obscure Aussie store exclusive. But if it turns out to be true it'd be the one to snag.

17. LOKAI of CHERON

Well, yes, it is subjective really. If I perceive it to be "artiscally sound", then no argument on your part can alter that - because, well, that's my subjective evaluation.

You have absolutely no solid factual basis in proclaiming Abrams "artistic intention" while shooting STID. Again, it is not uncommon for directors to keep more than one aspect ratio in mind when composing shots.

In fact, it's highly likely they do, knowing the end product will be shown in different ways. I would remind you the VAST majority of the movie going public viewed STID in a constant aspect ratio with the IMAX footage cropped.

Well done making a stand cancelling your order - and good luck waiting for a variable aspect ratio release. To use a very old cliché - don't hold your breath.

18. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I purchased and downloaded the CinemaNow content, but I'm now getting an error saying the license could not be retrieved.

EDIT: I was able to get it to work in the browser, but it fails in the CinemaNow application.

19. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Tastes differ - I can see the difference between a dvd and a bluray but once I get involved in a story I don't actually notice it. The bonus content would be the reason for my buying a BR over a bare bones DVD.

Also I'm in no great rush to own it, I'll wait up to a year or so to see if there's a rerelease with all the features.

It would indeed - I'll keep an eye on it, thanks for the tip. :)

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I'm guessing the JB HiFi version will have something. Sometimes they have a tin box, or a 3D cover, on an otherwise-identical release to other stores.