The Tardis Exterior of the Interior Realization Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by starsuperion, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin Commander

^Actually, I think it was established earlier in the novel series.

Interestingly, the idea that the TARDIS is "alive" and "Organic" is one of the ideas that came from the novels, I believe.

2. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

in the Deadly assassin it is established that the Tardis is linked and all tardis are linked to the eye of Harmony on Gallifrey..

While this is true. what I have found in my research is that the original eye of harmony is used to Polk holes in the fabric of reality, whereby the Tardis engineers begin their growing of the ship's main body...

then an artificial eye of harmony is created, and is charged with the original eye's energy..just enough to keep the ships active within their own reality pocket.. at one point all older Tardis were connected to the original eye of harmony, but with the invention of the artificial eye within the later ships those tardis would be able to exist if the original eye of harmony were to be destroyed some how..

if you follow this link, and read at the bottom, this is just one of the many web sources that tell of the artificial eye of harmony..
    http://www.tvacres.com/weapons_atomic_eye.htm

the episode which has this is called Dr. Who: Enemy Within (1996).

3. Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin Commander

I think the one in the TV movie might've been a link of sorts to the Gallifrey one. Of course that makes things a bit tricky-what's powering the TARDIS with Gallifrey "gone" (Or at least stuck in the time lock?)

I'm not sure but I think the concept of The Eye is linked to the black hole mentioned in The Three Doctors. Omega basically created it and the Time Lords harnessed it or something like that.

The novels BTW do a ton of backstory on Gallifrey, more than the TV shows ever did. Cats Cradle Time's Crucible for instance shows the origins of Time Lord time travel (and the weird stuff that happens when the TARDIS collides with the original Time Lord prototype TARDIS).

There are also BTW TARDIS battleships in the comics & novels. I think RTD mentioned in one of his time war writeups that these were used in the time war.

4. starsuperion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An_3C2pCGwk

In the Robots of Death episode the Doctor explains how a small object like the police box can house a massive interior like the Tardis..it is because they are in another dimension.. and with the larger box further away, it symbolizes how a dimension which is larger can fit inside a police box..which is further away (much further since they exist within 2 separate universes..)

However they are linked together as one..

ah now here is the point of how this works.. the dimension is relative to the police box, that is to say that the police box itself (is kinda like the interior Dimension IS the Police box, and vice versa) houses the gateway and the Dimension, the entire Dimension.. so when the ship is struck outside, it effects the ship within, and vice versa.. because the exterior of the ship is the dimensional rip in space, it is also housed within ( Edit: I am sorry, it is not housed in matter it is the matter) a structure of matter which can be reformatted via the Tardis inside the alternate universe..Artron energy(which is like a mental type energy part psychic and able to convert energy to matter and back), the singularity, and matter to energy conversion make this possible, though the doctor's ship is stuck in the box mode..

but this is also why the outer blue box can seem automatically repaired, because the interior ship can restructure its matter back to the point it originally was intended..hence why in episode 1 of season 11, we see that the ship's windows and exterior are in perfect shape..and explains a lot about how the outer shell works.. the outer shell is the inner shell.. they are relative to each other..

the Looms were used early on, as I understand it, and this is where the conversion of the Timelord physiology came from, it allowed their race to become reborn and genetically altered, so they can be linked to a Tardis and given regenerations..

If you take numerous accounts of the Gallifreyan history both in novels, and in some of the comics, and bits and pieces found in the shows.. what you can gather is this:

so the Doctor's ancestors, and the masters earlier ancestors were grown from the looms, and then those people were able to have children and the race of Gallifrey went on from there.. thus Time lords can have a childhood, and still regenerate... and it is still a process developed by them artificially to their original physiology..

so while I take a bit of influence from Lunbarrow..I still wanted to make sure my assessment through research was correct or at least plausible relative to the show and the established canon.. to do this I had to realize that at some point the sterilization of the Gallifreyan race was done through the evil deeds of the Pythia..

even the end of time has (what is implied a Pythian) telling the future of the time Lord race.. which I believe is also a nod to the lungbarrow history in a way.. what i take form that is that maybe part of that notion is true, and that at some point they had to be grown from looms, only that once it was perfected, it became a practice not used, unless to revive a fallen time lord..it could be said that since their minds inhabit the Matrix computer on Gallifrey they can be redownloaded into a clone body..

though in the five doctors, it is said that Rassilon was able to perfect perpetual regeneration..I am assuming this was done through genetic manipulation of his own body structure similar to that of the master in an older classic series episode..(I forgot which one...but I have a file of online research written down on my computer..)

I could site my sources here all day long, and still I know someone would question this thesis..but like I said at the beginning of this entire thread..

"I know not everyone is going to agree with what i have pieced together."

LOL.. :)

but I am glad to atleast have the opportunity to flesh out the hows and whys behind the design and its relation to the time lords.. this is fun! :techman:

5. starsuperion

not necessarily, since the singularity and heart of the eye of harmony still exist in its own reality.. it can still be accessed by the tardis.. (this fact also leave open an unlikely escape for a would be time lord locked in the time war..) even if Gallifrey is gone lost, the eye of harmony still exists, just not in any place in this realm..

Still I think that with all the research I did, it is more plausible that the artificial eye of harmony that exists within the Tardis is self sustaining, while the original eye was the initial energy catalyst used to power up the artificial eye..

this is true, but at the end of that episode, that reality of antimatter imploded and formed a nebula of energy...

yeah the research I did included my extensive purchase of novels and Doctor who magazines with the comics within.. which were a pain and drain on my wallet, but worth it..

the battle tardis are awesome and I am working on those designs as well as a Dalek Time ship design..

6. starsuperion

do any of you want to see my work on a war Tardis??

7. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. starsuperion

thanks Pike, I will most likely do that one later as well as the dalek time ship.. the one from the "chase" episode..

I have attached here a tardis tool kit page 1 for those interested in creating your own tardis mapping and schematic design.. the next one I upload will be the dome rooms sections and then a bottom tool kit.

after that i will do a side view tool kit, and a war tardis tool kit with lots of time lord weaponry options.. i have been reading up on a few of their war things, and with a war tardis i will also have upgrades in the watch towers, and some things a normal tardis does not have..like a central nerve cluster!!..

anyways so here is the basic frame work you guys could use to do your own tardis..

this is from the top view
    [​IMG]

Next up the domes, and the Omega Hexagon floor tab, and some minor additions..tomorrow..

here is the example I did for the "Tardis theory" once again, for reference..
    [​IMG]

9. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Well ... wow.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a nonsense comparison, since far away objects only look smaller due to an optical illusion.

In any event, that begs the question...

That begs the question of why the Time Lords would design a TARDIS that way, though. Surely it would be far more sensible to design a TARIDS in such a way that it could sever its connection to whatever its external "portal" happens to have manifested itself as, and then generate a new "gateway" apparatus, if the "gateway" ever came under attack?

For instance, we see the TARDIS interior exploding and experiencing all sorts of damage after being dropped into the core of the Dalek Crucible in "Journey's End." Wouldn't it have been more sensible for the Time Lords to design a TARDIS that wouldn't be threatened by the destruction of its outer "shell?"

Glad to hear it. :bolian: You really do produce amazing work, I don't in any way want to come across as dismissive of it. I just disagree with the premises upon which you base your work.

11. starsuperion

actually what that is, is a simplistic way to say that the dimension which the Tardis Exists is massive, but it can fit inside the small box, because the box is further away (in another dimension)..it's a very simple way to explain how the Tardis exists or as to why its bigger on the inside then the outside.

that is because the Tardis has to have a gateway that is always accessible, it takes tremendous power to punch a hole in space and create a small pocket of reality using the singularity which is the Eye of Harmony..so to have a gateway that is severed and re-opens as you propose would mean that the eye of harmony would have to keep punching holes into that pocket artificial reality that the Tardis Ship lies..

the reality of the physics behind this premise of doctor who relies on the "Relative Dimensions in Space" aspect, which I finally understand, after all these years.. LOL

anyhow, the Dimension is the gateway.. and vice verse, that is how the time lords got around having to punch a hole in the fabric of space every time they wanted to reach their ships..(tardis interior) the outside, if destroyed, would sever the link to that pocket reality and the tardis within would simply cease to exist for all intents and purposes.. it would also take damage because that pocket reality is the same as the gateway construct (police box)..

its not that they couldn't do what you think they could, but the reality of doing so wouldn't make a Tardis viable..or allow the Time lords to have multiple ships out in the universe, since the True eye of harmony on Gallifrey (as apposed to the artificial eye of harmony in the tardis) would have to be used to open a gateway and shut a gateway over and over again..the artificial eye of harmony the Tardis possesses is only powerful enough to maintain an access to the time vortex, it can not punch a hole in reality when needed.. as the original singularity on Gallifrey is used to do, and power charge the artificial eye of harmony on their tardis ships..

it would if that were possible, they couldn't build a tardis that was completely sealed off from our universe. think about this, when the singularity (eye of Harmony) is used to punch a hole and create an artificial pocket universe, they need substance to fill that void, cause literally nothing existed there before the rip that created it.. so particles, and debris of gases and energy are pushed into that pocket reality to make it habitable for the Time lord engineers to grow their Tardis ships.. and then they have to wade into that reality and add the Auxiliary engines and build the time sceptre at the center of the Tardis and install the artificial eye of harmony which is charged like a battery from the original..and keeps the pocket reality open to this one, which it needs to draw matter from and energy from to exist.. so the link which the doorway is tied to is necessary for the ship.. and the link to the time vortex via the artificial eye of harmony is also necessary for the ship to survive..cause the pocket reality also needs to be grounded..

the door the doctor leaves in is the ground..the link to reality..the hole in which the artificial eye of harmony (they really should have chosen a different name for the one on the tardis ships, it gets confusing when you try to explain them, as it is separate from the original one on Gallifrey) is open to is the link to the time vortex, and sub-space which is the highway the ship uses to travel..

the Ground (gateway, police box, etc..) dematerializes and re-materializes, and can fly via the precise control of the eye of harmony and its interaction with the time vortex, while using the Dynamorphic generators, which bend space and time around the pocket reality..and thrust the (police box) about the universe..

the reason the ship dematerializes is because it is a quick way for the ship to catch up to what the dynamorphic generators are making the ship do.. in some cases when the ship is not moving vast distances the tardis just spins and then lands.. (the tardis inside the artificial dimension is constantly spinning as to produce an artificial gravity for the ship itself..which is why the box itself, sometimes spins as well in flight..)

to make the tardis fly precisely as when the doctor was chasing Donna Noble along the highway in "the Runaway Bride" episode.. takes a tremendous amount of power to maintain the dynamorphic generators (dynamorphic generators are similar in premise to the warp nacelles of star trek, they warp the realty of space around the pocket reality, which is how the Tardis traverses space and time) and the eye of harmony to bend reality around the ships dimension and maintain it flying..this is a hard thing to do, even for the doctor.. (likewise this is how the tardis could move earth in tow, it extended its warped space field around the earth and bended space around it until it reached Earth's original orbit) this may seem impossible but consider the artificial singularity housed in the tardis is extremely powerful, its essentially an artificial black hole core..which has extreme gravitational power.. so basically the earth was towed by a black hole of sorts..this is also why the tardis can escape a black hole with a ship in tow.. "the impossible planet."

I GOT OFF ON A TANGENT...LOL but it was necessary to explain how the ship works.. everything that the Tardis uses and has links to this reality, are necessary for it to survive..

this is why a Tardis is vulnerable, and it needs a force field..

LOL... no worries my friend.. I do not take offense.. I can not make anyone believe my research all I can do is explain it, and leave the realization up to those who choose to read it.. I am not the ultimate authority on this subject, just a person who has done tons of research over the last year, and conversed with those who study physics, and such.. this is the culmination of that research.. it makes sense to me.. :)

to any degree, I hope what I have provided explains it better..:techman:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  12. starsuperion

thanks man, I shall try to add more options as I do more Tardis Tool Kit sheets, for use by Doctor Who fans..

:)

13. starsuperion

Okay, sorry.. I took so long.

here is the 2nd part of the build your own tardis tool kit..

this is the cluster of Tardis rooms.

once you build your basic frame and establish the outer wall of the ship, complete with 3 at the maximum auxiliary engines, make sure you have a fair amount of pillars of destiny outlining the ships perimeter.. then attach the room clusters any config you like.. once that is done, add the main control room, and then the observation towers in the outlying areas close to the pillars.. and then you will have your own schematic of a Tardis from the top view! I will do the side view tool kits next, and then the series 100 Tardis designs with Time war era weaponry, upgraded watch towers, upgraded pillars of destiny, and upgrades on most of its vital systems, including the engines and the time sceptres!

trust me, you guys who want to design your own tardis are gonna have fun with these.. I will also be adding some minor outside designs for your amusement, starting with a police box, and then on to the Rani's tardis and so forth.. fun fun fun, or mix and match and make your own Tardis outside..

but for now, here are the two tool kits..(make your ship as big as you like!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and my original ship design for reference:
    [​IMG]

and the side view for posterity.. :)

(the entire section running through the center of the tardis including the main control room is called the "time sceptre")
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  14. 26138

26138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. starsuperion

I have :p, that was an awesome design, I came across that in my research as well. that is a great rendition:techman:, though I choose to believe the tardis rooms are much much larger and are partitioned into smaller rooms within those domes..
    the issue I have with that brilliant image is that going back to the original description, it says the tardis is replete with thousands of massive domes on a flat plain, with massive Corinthian columns supporting a ceiling lost in gray and black clouds..so promus-kaa does well trying to bring the concept alive, more so then a lot of others have done..but it is missing things

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  16. starsuperion

Sorry For the Delay, I am currently finishing up the final design for the Type 40 Tardis which Belongs to the Doctor, including the 25% that is missing which was jettisoned...

you guys will love that final work, trust me, but not as much as the War Tardis I have begun working on..muahahahaahaa:lol::lol:

You guys, I love the War Tardis!! It is fantastic! seriously!! the massive Time lord weapons, and everything is new.. the Artron Stabilizers, the Observation Towers, the Main Control area, the Auxiliary engines, even the Design of the War Tardis when it comes to the dome rooms are different! they are more symmetrical in design, whereas the Type 40 and Older Tardis were more free ranging with their Dome Rooms.. this I rationalize as that as Time Lord Technology advanced and they Built more Tardis going forward, the Time Lords were able to produce tardis with optimum dome rooms in a specific Pattern.. you will see.. the Dcotor's Tardis has rooms all over the place at Random, while the War Tardis, I am going to call "Sedition" which is aptly named, since the War Tardis goes against their original intent..and rebels against that premise..

anyways, I have received a bunch of emails from some on here who want a better view of the Main control Dome, and the Observation Tower.. so I have broken out their art, and placed them here for you guys to see..

First up is the Main Control Dome:
    (the Doctor's Time Rotor is off center, and though it is connected to the Time Sceptre, which is the main engineering that runs through the center of his Tardis, it does not have to be sitting right on top of the structure.. this is due to the placement and the need to have the Dimensional causeway open and free of the dome.
    The Dome itself and the extra rooms are inside the rim of the cap, and extend below.. the Blue circle is meant to represent the Doctor's entire control room.. here we finally see perspective on how the Tardis is Massive! The Little boxes around the smaller Dome are Maintenance hatches.. the only place where the Tardis Has Windows is on the Observation pods on the Observation Towers, see below.. This Control Bridge is added later after the main Tardis Structure is grown.
    see Diagram Below:
    [​IMG]

The Observation Tower:
    The Observation Towers which overlook the whole of the Tardis hang high enough to see the massive structure spread out before the observer, yet far enough below the Tops of the Pillars of Destiny, and to most onlookers it seems as if the Tardis has a Sky of clouds.. this is because the outer reaches high above the Observation Towers are filled with Particles which reignite themselves after falling downwards to the Singularity and the opening to the Time Vortex..
    The Observation Towers have shock technology built into their Long Elevator Shaft, and can lock the elevator at each level in case of extreme turbulence..the Elevator to the Observation Towers are massive and could house 4 Suv's front to back in a row in each direction. In times of great distress, the Observation pods can be jettisoned as well. The Pods have large massive polarized Transparent Plastic like Windows, virtually indestructible and somewhat flexible, like the Skin of the Tardis Domes..These Towers are added later after the main Tardis Structure is grown.
    see Diagram Below:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  17. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't decide if you're a disturbed genius or just disturbed. Either way, this is very bloody nice work and a fascinating read. Thanks for posting!

18. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Honestly... What he said.

I'm both quite impressed and a little wary.

People like you remind me why I'll never actually be able to put my own ideas on paper with any hope of matching the initial spark of inspiration/creativity (that excited me so much in the first place) that I wanted to show others.

I just don't have that particular talent.

Well done that you do.

19. starsuperion

I think I am a little Disturbed and Quite mad..:techman:

that said, I appreciate the support.. I want to get this stuff out of my head on on to the net so I can finally relax and get back to other projects...

Problem is that I have already committed to presenting designs for the War Tardis and the Dalek Time ship from the episode known as the "Chase."

Ouch... I am not sure if I should be elated, or ashamed of what I am able to produce..Honestly though, this is more like work then fun.. there are definitely others who can make better images then I can..

actually the artists who produce work for 3D models and such would be what I would wish for to apply to this concept art..so in a Way we are more alike then you think.. I too wish I could take this idea, which I am initially excited about and do it in 3D.. since I am unable, I have to stick to the line work you see here..( you have the option to find a friend to put your ideas to paper..)

I do appreciate your compliments and viewing what I have placed in this thread.. I hope that you might one day grace us with some of your ideas, and if you are not able to produce them yourself, you at least ask those who are willing. It would be a shame to have the world not able to see your own inner brilliance simply because you are without a particular skill.:)

20. starsuperion

I have to apologize to most of you..

I was a bit hasty in my research, and when I finally did my design for what the research said the Tardis "would" most likely be.. I did not take into the account the Tachyon field particles which are used with the Chroniton Particles, and graviton particles, flowing from the Time Vortex, all of which are used in the Main reaction chamber to create the Artron Energy, which the Tardis Lives off..So the outer rim of the ship reflects the particle collectors a bit better.

The Main reason for my transgression is that in designing the Tardis itself, my first rendition didn't take into account a very fundamental aspect of the Tardis..

The Ability to Jettison sections!!

"Vengeance on Varos," was one deciding factor in my modification of this work.. not to mention some kind advice from other Doctor Who Tardis researchers, who corrected me on the interaction of the Particle collectors which extract the energy flow from beneath or around the Tardis..

So in the new Design below, you will notice that the Dome rooms that proliferate the flat plain of Tessallate Membranes are in much more diversity in sizes, and in number..this is in no way to convey what a full Tardis would look like, mind you..

but consider this, that on the outer perimeter of the ship, the Pillars of Destiny stop, and a new layer of Membranes form..as the Tardis Grows in size, the membranes grow outward, eventually forming new Pillars, and dome rooms.. this type of design could stretch out to infinity, provided the Tardis has enough energy to maintain that type of structure..

for the purposes of pure time constraints, I have done the very basic inner Tardis area..I didn't want the Image to be too big, as to loose detail.. so for what it is worth, this is the new TOP VIEW of the Tardis.. as it should look..

[​IMG]

So discount my earlier work, since it did not include the Tardis ability to be Modular.. the Dome rooms also jettison with the rest of the ship and the "twisted and winding" corridor separates and the dome left behind is sealed before jettison, leaving the integrity of the ship in tact.

I do have a theory about the War Tardis.. that since it is meant to be a war ship, it would conserve its energy and would not have as many rooms as a normal tardis would have..the ship would be small and efficient..

Just a theory..Plus I wonder if Raston Robots were standard cargo on a WAR TARDIS?? Invasionary forces??

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010