Generations Concept Uniforms?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by CelticViking, May 31, 2013.

1. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I remember seeing this concept art in a magazine around the time of the films release.
    [​IMG]

2. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm happy they didn't use those.
    Resembles someone tucking the "skirt" of the TNG dress uniform into their pants and it looks ridiculous.

3. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

HOnestly, looking at these drawings, they look similar enough to the uniforms from TNG that I'd have to ask the question "Why bother?" I would guess someone was just trying to find ways to spend their extra budget for the movie.

4. Andymator

Andymator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would guess that they were trying to incorporate some of the formal look of the "Monster Maroons" from the TOS movies, so general audiences would take the whole situation a little more seriously than a bunch of space people running around in baggy sweatshirts with raised collars.

5. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty cool. Have you seen this guy?

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I didn't say that I liked them, just that they should have used them since they paid for them. I think they look stupid too.

But the only space station personnel we saw were on TNG, before DS9 started production. It's obvious that the change in uniform design for DS9 was to delineate a station uniform as opposed to a ship uniform at that time. And I believe the uniforms were referred to as station uniforms in the ST Encyclopedia.

7. Andymator

Well, all I can say is that I completely disagree with this sentiment. I'm happy they did the best they could to address the problem instead of just having the movie look crappy.

We saw space station personnel wearing TNG style uniforms in season 6's "Aquiel" after Deep Space Nine began.

It's not obvious at all. In fact the only evidence that points to that conclusion is the fact that we don't see them in use on starships until "Generations".

We also don't see them in use anywhere else until "Generations" except deep space nine, but it would be silly to think that following that logic they must only be in use on deep space nine and nowhere else.

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

They were probably just a new design that was being phased in. As DS9 was a spanking-new Starfleet acquisition, they got started with the new uniforms. It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

9. Galactic Alignment

Galactic Alignment Captain Captain

I like the idea of having different (but similar) uniforms for the cast of separate TV series - the darker jumpsuits in DS9 to distinguish the series from TNG when both were still on-air simultaneously, with the intention of having a different uniform (the abandoned GEN concept uniforms) in what became Voyager when that launched. Perfectly sound plan, there, and would've worked had the costume designers come up with a non-rubbish uniform for Generations.

Edit: could've been worse though, they could've used the All Good Things uniforms for GEN and VOY... :barf:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  10. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

^I love the AGT uniform. It's pretty close to being my favorite Starfleet unform!

11. Galactic Alignment

Galactic Alignment Captain Captain

Well, IMO they might've been OK if the tunic was longer, the rank pins were on the collar, and they were made out of better material than didn't look so cheap! I do like the idea that post Dominion War, after the dust has settled, Starfleet dump the dark uniforms and go back to their tradition of brighter uniforms.

12. Captain Verata

Captain Verata Lieutenant Red Shirt

The problem with this idea is when anyone leaves the station, like the time Sisko went to Starfleet Command in "Paradise Lost", they would change into the regular uniform from TNG. Even O'Brien was seen wearing the new DS9 uniform then changed back into the TNG one when he went back to say goodbye to Picard on the Enterprise.

13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Using the crappy new uniforms wouldn't have made that movie any more crappy than it already was.

That's easy enough to rectify. The subspace relay station was manned by a temporary two-man crew, probably for three months or so, before transferring to starship duty. So not being permanently attached to the station (like Worf wasn't until he accepted a permanent transfer to DS9), there was no need to switch duty uniforms.

So what was the purpose in having them at all in DS9 then? Why didn't they just use the standard TNG uniform then if it wasn't a nod to having a station duty uniform instead of a starship duty uniform?

Because as I said before, we never saw any other space station personnel other than DS9 while those uniforms were being used, with the exception of Relay Station 47, which I've given a hypothesis for. I don't find it silly at all, since it seems to me that the whole point of switching the uniforms was to delineate space station duty, as I said above.

But DS9 was originally just some backwater assignment, overseeing the new Bajoran provisional government out in the boonies. If it was a new across-the-board uniform that was being phased in, I'd think DS9 would have been the last place it would have started.

This is true.

Really? You like a uniform where the pants look like they're hiked right up to your armpits? You must be a senior citizen :p

14. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to disagree with you there:

-The high waisted pants make them look like zoot suits.
    -The red color for command is a magenta that looks weird as a full shirt.
    -They look even more like pajamas than the TMP uniforms.

My favorite/the best uniforms are the ones from the new Trek reboots:

-Simple design
    -Bright, primary colors.
    -Expanded upon TOS design with more uniform options like a real military/exploratory service would have.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The AGT uniforms are the worst. Bizarrely, they're almost idenical to the USS Kelvin uniforms, which looked fantastic. What a difference a bigger budget makes!

16. Andymator

I didn't say that it would (not that I agree with your assessment of the film). I said that it would look crappy. Whatever you may think about the movie's story, it was visually impressive.

You're jumping through hoops to explain away something that doesn't need explaining. They were assigned to a space station and wore TNG style uniforms.

The purpose was to show that they are using a different uniform variant on deep space nine than they did on the Enterprise D at the time? Why does it have to be any more involved than that? And they aren't starship duty uniforms as you've designated them; they're used by all kinds of officers on planets, stations, and ships.

You've imagined a whole scenario in your head where the deep space nine style uniform was exclusively associated with space stations despite not only evidence to the contrary at the time, but also knowledge we now have that they get used on several starships later on. Based on what?

17. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

The simplest explanation would be that they were a new uniform being phased in to replace the TNG uniforms, at least for duty in space, and new commands got them first. That's why DS9 and Voyager got them before the Enterprise (Caretaker was 334 stardates before Generations).

But since a difference in uniforms was never really talked about on screen, we'll never know.

18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Based on the fact that they were referred to as such in the Star Trek Encyclopedia, which was written by members of the show's production staff.

Look, if you don't think the DS9 uniforms were originally meant to be station uniforms, that's your outlook. But there's more evidence than not (to me anyway) that that's what they were supposed to be.

19. Andymator

Well, the simplest explanation is really just that there are different kinds of uniforms, not that one is newer or being replaced or whatever.

The intent in Generations seemed like the Enterprise crew was gradually changing over to the deep space nine kind, but we saw many starfleet officers much later than Generations still using the TNG style.

I have the Star Trek Encyclopedia, and it says nothing of the sort under deep space nine, space stations, or uniforms.

Huh? How can there be different amounts of evidence for different people?

You claimed that the jumpsuits were clearly delineated on Deep Space Nine as the uniforms for space stations, and that just isn't the case.

20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Perhaps I misremembered; it might have been in the official Star Trek The Magazine publication.

I believe it is. So I suppose we're just going to agree to disagree.