Will Star Trek 3 be a Kirk & Spock centric film or An Ensemble film?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dales, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

The last two films have been very kirk and spock centric which is fine but I was hoping maybe trek 3 will be like an avengers type of film, a film with an ensemble cast where all the characters ( iron man, captain america , black widow, hulk , hawkeye and the twins) were all sort of leads in the film than just 2 main leading characters

I will prefer star trek 3 to be about the crew this time and not just about kirk and spock with the others in supporting roles. I believe the first 2 films have done a decent job in establishing their friendship now its time for the film to evolve from there and focus on the other characters and give them the same development like they have given kirk and spock.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Re: Will Star Trek 3 be a Kirk & Spock centric film or An Ensemble fil

I see no reason to change that aspect of the film.

3. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Considering Pegg is writing, you'd think Scotty at least would be given more to do.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I tend to think the balance is pretty good in the two Abrams films. Kirk and Spock are the stars, but try to have some nice scenes for the whole cast.

5. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think the new movies have better serviced the secondary characters than the previous TOS movies. That being said, I'd rather keep the focus on Kirk and Spock — that relationship was always the driving force of the original series.

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Star Trek, to me, has always been Kirk and Spock, then McCoy, then Scotty, then everyone else. And I like it that way. I know it's not everyone's favourite formula and I certainly won't boycott the film if it has a more ensemble approach, but I like the current approach just fine (I think, with Pike no longer one of the characters, that bit of screen time should go to McCoy--at least that's how I'd apportion the screen time). YMMV.

7. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

Urgh, I am not a fan of writers having pet characters, it usually makes the characters become a mary sue or marty stu and it ruins the film or tv series.

Anyone remember why many people found Wesley so irritating in next genertion. he was a pet character and self insert of Gene Rodenberry himself. Now that Pegg is writing, I hope he will not overplay scotty's importance in the film over other characters especially if the film will still be Kirk and Spock centric.

8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yes.

That said, the original Star Trek was not an ensemble. It was about Kirk and Spock.

9. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

I like Kirk and Spock as well but I also like this Sulu. there seems something so mysterious and bad ass about sulu, I wish they gave him sort sort of back story. Same with Mccoy, all we know is he has an ex wife who took all his property:lol: but I would not mind them diving into mccoy's past as well.Uhura as well the female star of the show but we now nothing about her and no, I am not talking about her connections with Spock.

The thing is all this characters are so loveable and have potential so it will be great to see it on screen. maybe now that we have a 4th film, we can see more of this characters.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This one's about Keenser ;)

11. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The "ensemble" idea has always been more interesting to me. Centering everything around the same 2-3 characters all the freaking time just gets boring to me after awhile. The TNG films had this bad for me "it's the Picard and Data show AGAIN, do something else for once."

12. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

That's me, too. The ensemble approach (or at least the "give everyone something nice to do" approach) seems to be the way since TSFS, but I prefer the focus of the story arcs and conflict -- plus the bulk of the character development -- to stress Kirk and Spock with McCoy thrown in for good measure.

As Dennis said, TOS was not an ensemble. If it had stayed on the air longer, it may have had some occasional Scotty-centric, Sulu-centric, Uhura-centric, and so on episodes. But everyone was basically there to support the adventures of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy to a slightly lesser extent.

Kirk and Spock always were, and always should be (IMO) the stars.

13. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the balance was a bit off in STID with the rest of the crew having slightly less to do than in the first movie. But it's not like they were written off, either. It's not a major quibble.

I like the approach in Star Trek IV: the format of splitting up meant everyone had more to do, though Kirk and Spock's adventure was still clearly the focus and the most plot-relevant.

14. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Scotty and McCoy together in TVH, and I'd have liked to have seen more of it before and after. I always think of this quote from Scotty's character description in Whitfield and Roddenberry's, The Making of Star Trek: "Scotty is intensely loyal to Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock. His relationship with Dr. McCoy, on the other hand, is a different one entirely. Scotty and McCoy are extremely close friends. They enjoy drinking together and are more alike as characters as either Kirk or Spock" (p. 245).

Seems like an opportunity wasted. That could have led to a lot of good moments.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Probably too soon to tell.

16. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

"I don't know. It's all speculation."

17. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I think bringing in Justin Lin as Beyond's director bodes well. The film will still most likely center on Kirk and Spock, but Lin proved time and again on the Fast & Furious movies that he knows how to juggle an ensemble cast. The bulk of those films still centered on Vin Diesel and Paul Walker's characters, but everyone else had their moment to shine, their bit to contribute to the success of the plot.

18. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed it wasn't an ensemble, but I think it was more Kirk & Spock, and much of the time, McCoy.

I'd like to see more McCoy in the next film, as well.

19. Demon_82

Demon_82 Ensign Newbie

There must be more McCoy of course, but the main characters are three, and the others are supporting g¡roles. Just 49 years hearing about them made their shadows too long, but the story must be about Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I wonder where that description came from. Scotty and McCoy didn't really pal around in TOS.