Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I haven't actually read anything with him yet, but from what I've heard it sounds like he could work for me too.
    KRAD, when I was looking over my SCE cast list after the discussion earlier, I saw that you picked Tress MacNeill for P8-Blue, and so I was wondering if you had a specific one of voices in mind when you picked her. Here's her very long list of voices on wikipedia, including The Simpsons, Futurama, Anamaniacs, Tiny Toons, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, and the Land Before Time series. Wow, I can't believ how shows I've heard her in.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^OT: I met Tress MacNeill when she and the other lead Animaniacs (Rob Paulson and Jess Harnell) did an in-store appearance at a Warner Bros. store. She (and actually, all of them) were a lot of fun to meet. She greeted me as "Dot Warner", and when I asked her a question about Tiny Toons, she answered as "Babs Bunny".

Rob Paulson saw a friend of mine who had come with us to the appearance, a 6'1 female blonde, and said loud enough for everyone in the store to hear (As Yakko, of course), "Hellooooo, Tall Nurse!" :guffaw:

After that, Paulson, at the request of another customer, went into character as Pinky and had the whole place rolling with his ad-libs.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  3. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rhys-Davies isn't insufferable in any of his roles really, whereas Stiers as Winchester definitely is.

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Rhys-Davies was pretty insufferable as the Professor in Sliders.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^Oh, absolutely. Professor Arturo was very Tev-like.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still can't get over the fact that Agnes Skinner, Mrs. Muntz, Mom, Dot Warner, and Babs Bunny are all the same person.:eek:

7. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

You need to see more of Rhys-Davies's roles. :lol: Gimli, Professor Arturo, Alexandre Dumas (The Secret Life of Jules Verne), Lord Hades (Justice League), Johnny Windsor (The Great White Hype), and that's just roles I remember off the top of my head where his character was insufferable.

For that matter, Stiers has played plenty of non-insufferable characters, most notably his regular role as Reverend Purdy on The Dead Zone.

8. Christopher

To be honest, I've never seen Tev as being quite as self-consciously arrogant and condescending as Arturo, or even as Charles Winchester. As I see him, he's so confident in his superiority that he's entirely matter-of-fact about it. He's not actively trying to put anyone else down, the way that people do to compensate for a sense of inadequacy, because he has no sense of inadequacy. He just treats it as axiomatic that he's smarter than they are, and is surprised when anyone questions that axiom. So if anything, Rhys-Davies is maybe too bombastic for the role.

9. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

And here I was about to suggest Brian Blessed.

10. KRAD

^ Too old. And, honestly, too bombastic (though Blessed can play calm, he just mostly doesn't).

11. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Very true.

Did you see him host Have I Got News for You a few months back, it was very scary yet very funny in almost equal measures.

Although I've not read any SCE/COE yet so not "met" Tev, how about Edward Woodward? Although if Mr Blessed is too old........

12. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

You're taking a post from the guy with Data dressed up as a bandito 100% seriously?

:lol:

13. KRAD

^ Hey, you're taking the guy with the Rygel avatar seriously.... :lol:

Besides, this thread is inherently pie-in-the-sky, so it's all equally serious and ridiculous. :)

14. Kermett

Kermett Ensign Red Shirt

Star Trek Vanguard: The Characters at Starbase 47 Part 1

Commodore Diego Reyes - Benjamin Bratt
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1576704000/nm0000973

JAG Capt. Rana Desai - Kelly Hu
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm721327872/nm0005026

Journalist Tim Pennington - Jeremy Piven
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1180080128/nm0005315

Dr. Ezekiel Fisker - David McCallum
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4022179584/nm0564724

The Spy Anna Sandesjo/Lurqal - Meagan Good
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm886216704/nm0328709

Diplomat Jetanien - Fyvush Finkel
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1955502080/nm0277882

Lt. Ming Xiong – Brian Tee
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1778029056/nm0974575

Another perfect all star cast!

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

16. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yet another list where everyone is absolutely wrong, on oh so many levels. I'm beginning to wonder if whatever Kermett's smoking isn't even legal in Amsterdam.

For starters, it's Ezekiel Fisher, and he's black. I'm serious here: have you even read the novels you're casting?

Try not typecasting actors so much, and looking for people who fit the character rather than only "pop culture stars" and you'll get closer to the mark.

17. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I recall correctly, Captain Desai is of Indian descent, not east Asian.

18. Christopher

^^Yes, as the name "Rana Desai" should make evident.

19. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be fair, names don't necessarily mean anything. My last name is anglicized Finnish, but I have almost no real connection to Finland, and I'm also 1/8th Cherokee, but you would never know it from my name OR from looking at me.

20. KRAD

As Sci said, the name doesn't necessarily mean anything. I mean, if you were told a character was named Al Giardello, Yaphet Kotto isn't the first person you'd think of to cast based on the name............. :guffaw: