Plane registered to Horner crashed today...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by tharpdevenport, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Shocking news. Was wondering if hed be scoring Alien 5 since its going to be a sequel to Aliens :(

Makes you realise just how lucky Harrison Ford was

2. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Terrible news. :( One of my favourite composers. RIP.

3. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

More than appropriate!

Aw, Peach, you went and made my cheeks all wet...

...thank you.

4. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Very sad news indeed.
    It seemed like if it wasn't Jerry Goldsmith doing a score for something, James Horner would be the other stand out name, especially during the 80's.

I liked a lot of Horner's work too.

I think they forgot to mention one little sci-fi movie that he also did the score for (and the main title is one of my favorite themes) "Battle Beyond the Stars". (this was in response to a report a friend of mine had posted in another forum I visit)

RIP James Horner. May you and Mr. Goldsmith make great scores among the angels.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  5. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A terrible loss to music and film. The score to TWOK is my favourite Trek soundtrack.

RIP James Horner.

6. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is a huge kick in the gut for me. James Horner was my first film score obsession, the first composer I hunted record stores for music from. Like a number of folks, Star Trek II was my introduction to his work and it remains a brilliant score and one of my favorites. Star Trek III is breathtakingly beautiful and was my first LP purchase at 16 years old. When all my friends were buying Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top and Van Halen albums, I was scouring the soundtrack aisles for James Horner scores, and those are some of my favorite memories. Walking up and down Tower Records buying cassettes of Aliens, Brainstorm, Willow, Gorky Park, Cocoon 2, Red Heat and others, listening to them in the car on the drive home from the store. Wearing them out over the weeks and months, getting my friends sick of music from Star Trek's II and III, Krull, Clear and Present Danger, The Land Before Time, and The Rocketeer. My closest friends knew his name before the rest of the world did. I even got a call from one of them when Horner won the Grammy. His music ignited my passion for film scores.

Over time, his style and my tastes didn't match, so he dropped from #1 to #2, but that was still a rarefied place in my list of composers and it's not a criticism of his work; it's an indication of where my interests were. His music moved me and shaped my feelings. I will always appreciate the years of joy he provided.

7. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

I've been a fan for many, many years. Outside of TWOK and TSFS, I love Apollo 13, Uncommon Valor, Battle Beyond the Stars, The Rocketeer, Titanic, Avatar, Aliens, and so many others.

We have lost a true, gifted and defining talent. :(

8. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

RIP, James Horner. Sad, sad news.

Star Trek II and Star Trek III contain some of my very favorite musical scores. I still love to listen to them every once and a while. It's not easier following Jerry Goldsmith but Mr. Horner was very much up to the task and then some. I'm also a fan of his Willow score.

He was an extremely talented musican and artist who will be deeply missed.

9. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Terrible end for the man, but his earthly trouble is over.

He was such a talented the composer who created the next best theme for Trek after Courage, and the villain music for the entire franchise.

10. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

11. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Geez. The only TOS film composer left is Cliff Eidelman. WEHT him?

12. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

13. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

He was one of the best...
    A real shame. :(