Buddy Keys for Star Trek Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excelsior

Excelsior Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sure thing! :) Sorry for not getting back to you sooner - just got back from being on tour.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I'm at 50 posts yet - I'll do a quick round of each sub-forum, and PM you as soon as I've hit the 50-post mark! :bolian:

[EDIT] Hmm. Turns out that until you hit 50 posts, I can't PM you, either! Talk about annoying!! :brickwall:

I've set up a temporary e-mail account so you can send me your e-mail address privately, and then I'll send you the Key via the STO referral page.

Here ya go:

ussexcelsior@live.co.uk

(didn't use my regular Hotmail - it's my main business e-mail, so I don't want it splashed all over the net willy-nilly!)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. TargetPainter

TargetPainter Ensign Newbie

Just shuffled through the forums, and one evident facts keeps coming back to blast me in the face. If your a new cadet and asking for a buddy key, you might as well press the "self spam" button. :brickwall:

Would it be better if I stated I found this forum in search of DS9 fanboys?.:shrug:..probably not but I'll throw it there. I'm currently an Eve online player, hence the name "Target Painter" I believe someone took the name I wanted "Commander Sisko"

My pops and I have been playing Eve-online for 4 years now, and are really interested in checking out if STO is the answer to our obsessive Trekkie needs. Eve online has truly been the only well developed space combat game out there for awhile now, so it was only natural we jumped on that band wagon. We are interested in making the shift to STO if its any good, so I'm asking if anyone is "willing" to transport a key to my email?

The game came out to $130CAD for two copies of STO but we'd rather test it out first before draining the plastic. Its a shame they don't have a 14 day trial like eve. I'd really appreciate any assistance mates. Thanks for reading:techman:

3. Excelsior

Well, STO might not have a 14-day trial, but there is the free demo, which covers the Tutorial plus the first mission.

http://www.startrekonline.com/demo

As for the referral keys, I'm happy to give mine out to anyone who wants them, but I'm not going to start spamming people over it - I've heard of people putting ads on Craigslist, or sending spam to every e-mail address in their contacts. Seems more than a little excessive to me, not to mention darned annoying! No in-game reward is worth turning yourself into the online equivalent of some idiot in a call centre ringing ad nauseum to flog double-glazing... :rolleyes:

4. TargetPainter

Awesome. I'll check it out.

5. TargetPainter

Actually I just realized that is the first thing I tried. I noticed steam had a "free Trial offer for STO" so I downloaded it. After downloading the 8gb+ file I tried to launch it, but kept getting the message "Your account does not qualify for the demo" From there I just assumed the demo period had been canceled and I would need a trial key or buddy key to continue.

6. TargetPainter

lol I think there was a little bit of misunderstand. When I said "Self spam button" I was trying to convey how there has been a wave of cadets spamming for referral keys. I was expressing how I did not want to be thrown into that pool

7. Excelsior

Lol! No, I get what you mean - there's a fair bit of both, particularly on places like the STO forums. People trying to schill referrals on to new players, and newcomers nagging for keys - and BOTH clogging up forums with endless topics on the subject, in a manner akin to bad mildew... ;)

Got to hand it to the Trek BBS in that regard - by setting up an official thread dedicated to it, people know where to trade keys with people who want them/want to flog them, all in a civilised manner.

A little common sense like that often goes a long way! ;)

Hmm... have you set up an account on the website, or have you just tried to download the demo. According to the site, you need to create an account/profile, even for the demo.

(Did you just send me an e-mail, btw? If so, I've sent a referral - if not, someone else has got it! ;) )

8. TargetPainter

Unfortunately that was not me. My email is: tkingrenegade@hotmail.com I would really appreciate a key if your offer still stands. I'll send an message to your email like you instructed earlier.

9. TargetPainter

After you finish downloading, it takes you to the website to create an account. I figured out what was causing the problem. It was an application on my system that had hooks in place that prevented the launcher from starting up its UI. I believe it was WideCap. I got the demo working and completed the first mission and tutorial.
    My question is, does the referral key provide you with the same limited gameplay as the demo or does it allow me to explore a bit more aspects of the game?

10. Excelsior

What? I've had two redeemed, and according to my referral status, by 'Helios888' and 'TargetPainter'.

If that isn't you, then why on earth would someone pretend to be you to get one?!? All they needed to do was ask, and I'd be happy to send them one - I've got an infinate amount, and they're free, so it's no trouble to send them. Now all it means is I've got a potential freeloader on my hands, which is a shame - they could have asked me up front, rather than resorting to deception... :(

Anyway, I've sent you one to the e-mail address you posted (which, btw, you might want to edit out of your post, lest unscrupulous types spam it! ;) ) - I'm not sure if having a referral key lets you do any more than what's available in the demo, but at least now you can try it and see.

11. Angelsilhouette

Angelsilhouette Lieutenant Red Shirt

I can offer up a few of my buddy keys, as well. Just drop me a PM and I'll send it right along.

(Really hoping that I can get the holo-officer :3 )

12. Kain

Kain Lieutenant Red Shirt

Sorry for asking again, but I still have not found a buddy key to try the game. I have tried the demo, and it seems interesting, but every gamer knows that often the demo is far away from the real thing. Is there still any keys available? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

13. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

14. scootrix

scootrix Cadet Newbie

I have 5 buddy keys up for grabs and this looked like the best place to offer them send me and email and i will send u the buddy key

15. stueyross

stueyross Captain Captain

Hey there. Can I beg a buddy key off you please? :)

16. Angelsilhouette

Angelsilhouette Lieutenant Red Shirt

I still have all my keys available, too, if anyone wants them. :3

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have all my keys if anyone is interested.

18. SlasherZet

SlasherZet Cadet Newbie

Hello, I have been a long time MMORPG player, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, EVE Online, I would like to try Star Trek Online as well, if you have a buddy key could you send one to slasher.zet@atlas.cz please? It would be much appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  19. Excelsior

Hey man - just saw this. Don't know if you've already had any luck getting a key, but I've just sent you one, in case you hadn't got one yet. Hope that does the trick! :bolian:

20. SlasherZet

SlasherZet Cadet Newbie

Nope, thank you very much! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.