‘Star Trek 3′: Roberto Orci Wants to Direct

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by HaplessCrewman, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

From Slashfilm.com

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-3-roberto-orci/#disqus_thread

Were this to happen, Orci's tumultuous relationship with fans would probably go to the next level.

2. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

i don't think he's be that bad a choice actually..

think wed get alot of call backs to original trek for the 50 and maybe even some TNG

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  3. Casas9425

Casas9425 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't think he's a bad choice either. He's hinted that he didn't agree with a lot of the decisions that were made on STID.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I'm skeptical. Orci doesn't have a single directing credit on his rap sheet. I certainly wouldn't trust a novice first-time director on a high budget franchise, regardless of his success in producing or writing.

5. HaplessCrewman

Devin Faraci of Badassdigest.com doesn't want Orci to direct Star Trek 3, either.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/04/22/please-jesus-dont-let-roberto-orci-direct-star-trek-3/

Frankly, though I still believe it was unprofessional and beyond the pale for Orci to tell fans to "fuck off" - no matter how much fans deserved it, I think he would be an interesting choice.

He's clearly passionate about Trek and there's some part of me that is happy to see a dyed-in-the-wool fan ascend to the very top of Trek. I don't think this has ever happened before.

6. Casas9425

Since this is the third film in the franchise the only other kind of director they'll probably get is either a no-name commercials guy or a journeyman. Why not just let Orci make the movie when he has been working on the property already for years.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think Orci is a good choice. Plus, Abrams is still producing and will be available to offer advice, criticism and encouragement.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Well, if Orci falls through I hear William Shatner is available.

9. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Duncan Jones would be a great fit. He's already proven he can do solid science fiction (Moon, Source Code) and he still hasn't had his big break yet.

An arrogant fanboy (Orci) directing? Oh hell no. Might as well have Lindelof direct Prometheus 2.

10. HaplessCrewman

Ha ha. I would watch that.

11. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Well, if Devin Faraci doesn't want it to happen, then I say:

OR-CI, OR-CI, OR-CI!!!!! YEAHHH!!!!

(not my first choice, but I doubt the world is ready for a Tarantino take on Trek :lol:)

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek. Phaser fire, even on stun, leaves a hole clear through a human torso. Spock says "fuck" about 300 times.

13. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

wonder if Singer could be a possible? (maybe XMA might get another director now)

14. Casas9425

Singer has bigger fish to fry right now...

15. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's almost worth it for that reason alone.

I can't think of a good reason why he shouldn't do it. He's clearly passionate about Trek and has been deeply involved in both films.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Orci certainly knows the characters and universe, that's a huge plus. But is he the guy behind Spock yelling "Khaaaaan!" and Nero meeting V'ger in the comics? If so, that's probably an even bigger minus than his lack of directorial experience.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

17. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I remember correctly he was against John Harrison being Khan, favored an original character instead but was overruled, so that earns him points in my book.

I wonder, if Abrams backs Orci could that force Paramount to give it to Orci?

Perhaps more telling would be Abrams NOT backing Orci. That could spell doom for Bad Robot as we know it, yes?

18. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I think Orci is better off leaving. He did two films already and should just let someone else take a shot at it. I didn't like his truther bullshit in a Trek, so having him possibly direct only crushes whatever optimism I had for TREK 3.

19. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Orci should get the gig, why not? He's been on the reboot creative team from day one and clearly wants the chance to prove the detractors wrong once and for all; he'll either succeed and Trek's future on its current model is assured, or he'll tank and spoil the 50th in the process and we'll be looking forward to a change in direction. As long as he sticks to the formula the studio would probably figure they'll at least make money in China, and it should be no skin off Abrams' nose since a success for Orci vindicates him by association, while a failure for Orci will stick to Orci alone and Abrams' golden record of Getting Out Before the #!&* Hits the Fan remains intact.

(As for Devin Faraci, people seem to overreact to him.)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Indeed. Devin Faraci opposing something is almost the equivalent of a ringing endorsement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.