A Star trek CGI series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Admiral Pike, Jun 4, 2009.

?

CGI Star Trek

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    76.6%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I'm all for it. But it really comes down to writing. The best CGI can't make up for bad writing.

As for the CLONE WARS? I totally agree. I can't stand the characters, but the vocal work is pretty good. The dude doing Obi Wan has his voice down good!! Sounds just like McGregor. The FX (space fighting and ships and all that) are pretty damn good. Imagine that for a TREK CGI? Yeah...go for it.

Rob

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Star trek CGI series - backgrounds/ ship interiors

zach21uk's game has some great CG models that would be adequate for a CGI series ship interior backgrounds. They need a little atmospheric effects interaction with lighting but they look good.
    check out the these screenshots:
    Sovereign Class Interior
    Defiant Engineering
    Nebula Bridge

since a show could essentially use an engine and CG model like this for backgrounds and other software for the characters it is possible if rendered at high quality 1080p.

It has it's own thread here.

3. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I would love to see any show attempt to employ "A Scanner Darkly" methods. It allows for actual actors to look cartoonized, and interact with CG sets and characters much more seamlessly.

4. jefferiestubes8

Very interesting idea O'Dib.
    I thought about it too last month but using live-action.

The downside is you would have to have the actors in basic costumes, pay the actors for screentime (vs. just narration), do all the rotoscoping work which is VERY time consuming as well as the cinematographer has to light it with some lighting for mood as the rotoscopers are basically emulating what they see.

It would be less work to do reference video with actors doing the narration.
    The video sped up the animation processes of the facial movements. No costumes needed at all and no makeup.
    Image Metrics is a animation company that uses mo-cap. and does cinematics for videogames. They used this technique for the God of War III videogame.
    source: Post Magazine, May 2009 , page 26.

5. jefferiestubes8

6. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Right, I did some research myself AFTER posting the idea. I thought rotoscoping was an effect you can achieve by running footage through a computer filter, no animators involved. It's probably possible, but not as good looking.

7. jefferiestubes8

example of location in CGI

another great example of a location/world envisioned with CGI.

2014 Commonwealth Games village
    42 second HD video for
    2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

8. jefferiestubes8

full size screengrabs with different lighting adjustment

I took the screengrabs from the NX-01 mod for 'Star Trek Elite Force' PC game.
    from here & added some grain and darkened the lighting to show it a little more filmic. They can look pretty good.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. BrownShatner

BrownShatner Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek Elite Force is an older game based on the Quake 3 engine. So that doesn't even reflect what can be done with modern video game technology, much less production-quality CGI.

My problem with the CGI approach is might come-off as more of a low-budget Saturday Morning type show. It's hard to imagine it being used as a 'prime-time' production.

10. jefferiestubes8

I only used what I found that was adequate for a visual example. While it was not 1080p high definition...
    BrownShatner check out these two posts:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=3044371&postcount=3
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=3080442&postcount=20

Lucasanimation spent 1-2 million on The Clone Wars series per 22 minute episode they say.I doubt Paramount/CBS is willing to spend that much but based on the examples on this thread it can look good for less.
    If we can get over the facial animation being so realistic (spending the time & $) this medium is adquate for Trek storytelling broadcast in HD or Blu-ray.

and this CG model
    http://images116.fotki.com/v713/filemxLq/9b3b7/2/1293622/7699857/eeringcgieliteforce25350_1copy.jpg
    looks pretty close to a photo from the set
    http://www.startrek.com/imageuploads/200307/gal-ent-main-engineering-02/320x240.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  11. jefferiestubes8

12. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

Personally, I like live action Trek much better. No matter how beautiful the scenery or characters are; I simply can't get in to it. Just look at Beowulf, for example; while some others liked it, I really couldn't get into it; the people weren't real enough to care.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Clone Wars has managed to transform 3D animation from an art into something like a social disease.

14. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    A new CG show could be the way CBS could go, do it very alien too, let the imagination of the writers go wild, but I also don't see anything wrong with CBS also doing a show that kids could watch, do a good family oriented Trek in the tradition of the better family films which have different elements for both the young and mature to appreciate and just have fun with it.

Star Trek needs to expand to be more successful, maybe even becoming as successful as Star Wars finally but without losing any of its sophistication, not going the latest Star Wars approach on cartoon network, but something with a lot of passion, vision, and thought:techman:.

15. jefferiestubes8

Star Trek XI was made to get a wider audience. The PG-13 (which people say is the new PG) rating is to get kids aged 9-12 in the group as fans.

GhostFaceSaint you gotta pick one. Either you want a kid-friendly animiated series or you want it aimed at age 18 and up with serious thinking and science concepts going on all within 22 minutes.

If you want the animiated series aimed at kids solely then check this out:
    Star Trek Kids Cartoon
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=96540
    otherwise you can't have it both ways.

I posted The Clone Wars tv series season 2 trailer as it has gone darker than season 1 and perhaps is trying for an older audience. I don't think Star Trek can do the same once they start down the animated path with one series.

I want TV14 rated Star Trek. Not just for the violence but for the adult-related (not sexual) themes that are complex.

16. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I doubt non-sexual, non-violent themes would generate a TV14 rating. The censors just don't care about much beyond sex, language, and violence.

17. jefferiestubes8

motion capture and Trek

Will James Cameron's Avatar change things for Trek TV in 2012-2014? As far as motion capture being used for CGI will it become feasible for a 13-episode series to use this?
    I'm not talking 3-D with the glasses I'm only talking about using motion capture on a tv show for a 100% CGI series.

Resident Evil: Degeneration MoCap 2 min. video
    already did it for a CGI feature film released in 2008.

July 15, 2009
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ia13021641b2079d289fc3dc3a2865694

There's a lot of talk about Avatar changing things and I'm wondering how Trek may be affected in this way. Would this technology make it actually economically possible for a 13-episode series? a 22-episode series?
    If Steven Spielberg and James Cameron can use it then why not a Trek TV director?
    Is pretty amazing for a guy like Spielberg but then again who knows how much time they will spend on lighting, atmospheric effects, and camera movement in post production...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  18. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, this is clearly the way to go for a TV series. Any era, any characters, as many aliens as you want, sets as big and as imaginative as you want, etc.

With the right voice casting, you could do any of the established characters with no problem. New characters would be limited by imagination alone.

19. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: motion capture and Trek

The article talks about Avatar costing $227 million. Whatever approach is used for TV Trek needs to be cheaper, not more expensive. With budgets like that you might a well use Abrams Trek production techniques.

20. Bluesteel

Bluesteel Commander Red Shirt

There are two main problems with CGI.

1: They age horribly. I was watching What You Leave Behind a few days ago and I noticed in the last scene when the camera was panning out from DS9 to outerspace that the station was obviously CGI. Watch Lord of the Rings.

2: They look to fake. Can't capture human emotion properly. The scene in First contact with Picards eye or in DS9 when the camera was focused on Ezris eye had more range of emotion in it then an entire episode of CG can.

In my opinion people are to crazy over CGI. It should be made to complement the scene not take over it like Star Wars. If you have it all over the scene or make the entire show out of CGI then it will come off as fake and in a few years it will look horrible,