Batman: Arkham 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RoJoHen, Feb 28, 2013.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

http://batman-news.com/2013/02/12/batman-arkham-3-confirmed-for-2013-release/

So I guess a couple weeks ago it was confirmed that a new Arkham game would be released later this year. I just got finished playing through a bunch of the downloadable content for Arkham City, and I am more than ready for another installment.

Points of interest: It looks like Rocksteady will not be developing this new sequel, which could end up being a good or bad thing (who knows?).

There were also a rumors of a new Silver Age Batman/Justice League prequel, which may or may not be this new Arkham game. I personally hope that they are different games, as Arkham City's story did certain things that set it up for a continuation.

If they want it to be a multi-character game, I'd rather they do what they did with Arkham City by including Catwoman. You could also throw Robin or Nightwing in there if you want, but I'd prefer the story to be solely in the Batman universe.

2. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not developed by Rocksteady? This game just went from "definite buy" to "wait and see."

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

The article makes that sound like thats a rumor and not definate.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

We have no concrete information. We know precisely three things: That there is a new Arkham game in development, that Rocksteady has been working on a new project since Arkham City was locked, and Paul Dini is not involved.

We literally know nothing more than that.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Frankly, I'm just happy that a new game has officially been announced.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

That reminds me, I really ought to finish Arkham City one of these days...

Also pencil me in for "interested but wait and see." If neither Rocksteady nor Dini are in then I don't see how exceptions could be very high at all.

7. Timby

Dini isn't a great loss. Arkham City is a great game, but the writing and plot structure are easily its weakest links (unless you're a fan of relentless misogyny and Jeph Loeb-style "shove everyone into the story regardless of whether it makes sense" plotting).

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

For a video game, I don't mind that kind of storytelling. All it means to me is longer game play!

9. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

cool looking forward to this, hopefully rocksteady are doing it

10. AlphaMan

I agree. The rogue's gallery of Arkham City certainly enhanced the game play. Had it been a movie or animated feature, it would've been a disaster. I give kudos to Dini for recognizing the difference.

I'm still on the wait and see list. It's hard for me to get excited about another Arkham Game that might be by an unproven studio and another writer.

11. Timby

Isn't it a little premature to say that one is in a "wait and see" mode when we know nothing about the game, only that it exists? It's like saying, "Oh, there's a new Star Trek movie, but we don't know who's directing or starring or writing or what it's about, I'll wait and see."

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Premature? No. I'm pretty sure the only option right now is to wait and see. :lol:

13. Timby

I'm just saying that it's a meaningless statement. No shit, we'll wait and see, because we don't know a single thing about the game. It's like saying "XYZ could be good, if they do it right." Again, no shit.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

No need to get crabby about it.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The distinction is one of expectations. If we knew for sure that it'd be the same key players coming back, then expectations would be high. Since all we know is that there's another game in the series that may not include *any* key players, then expectations are of course going to be low to neutral. Premature is probably the last thing this is.

16. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, no shit it's a meaningless statement. Everyone knows it was a meaningless statement that was only intended to carry on a conversation. In fact, your post pointing it out is even more meaningless, so ... yeah. Take that!

Man, Batman is cool. Like really fucking cool. Hopefully they don't pawn this franchise off to some crappy developer and ruin the franchise like they ruined my beloved Spyro. Poor, poor Spyro.

17. AlphaMan

I'm guessing that since the first we heard of it was on an investor conference call and its due this year, it's probably going to be a launch title for the next gen consoles released later this year as well.

I'm sorry this disturbs some, but if this game had the same development team as the previous Arkham titles, I wouldn't need know more about the game to know that I'd be buying it on day one. I have complete faith in Rocksteady Studios. Now that I hear this may not be the case, well yeah... Now I'll wait and see.

18. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

I'm hoping for good things though the possibility that Rocksteady and Paul Dini won't be involved does put a damper on my enthusiasm. Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are the best games I've bought in years. They both have great stories, great gameplay mechanics and are totally immersive.

Even without Dini or Rocksteady, Kevin Conroy must be brought back. He is Batman.

19. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

What, no love for Adam West?

20. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

Beyond the 1966 film, I've only seen a couple of episodes of the Batman television series. The 90's animated series has been my favorite incarnation of the character and I'm glad Rocksteady brought back Conroy, Hamill and Dini.

That said, should Rocksteady create the silver age Batman game that's rumored, West would likely be good since he did a great job in the B:TAS episode Beware the Grey Ghost.