"The Time of the Doctor" Images, Clips, Spoilers & Speculation

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Tom, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

New intro. New screw driver. New costume. New hero theme. Same TARDIS.

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering all the complaints we've gotten about the show struggling with a shrinking budget, building yet another new console room (which I love btw) would be a pretty stupid thing to do.

3. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also like the current console room -- to a point. It's certainly an improvement over the previous one, but one thing that struck me in that "Day of the Doctor" scene where we flashed quickly from Ten's to WarDoc's to Eleven's set was how cold and stark Eleven's console room is. This is due in part to the metallic feel of the whole thing. There's just not much warmth to it, I find.

One change that I would like to see is the exterior of the TARDIS. I never really warmed to it, apart from the return of the St. John Ambulance badge. It's just too clean and, frankly, too blue. I don't like the windows. I don't like how they shine so brightly white sometimes, especially when there's no bright light inside to give that effect. And I don't like that they've made the notice board on the left door a backlit thing now too. That scene at the end of DotD when all three TARDISes were parked next to each other made me miss Ten's all the more.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

A change I could see them doing is making it brighter in(Runaway Bride) since they moved locations.

The set's barely a year old. They need to break it in.

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i really like the current console room. the previous one was too manic. like a playground for kids. besides, they've only had this current set for a year now.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Meanwhile, I loved the old Amy & Rory console room.

And 11 had the nerve to describe 10's room as his "grunge phase." The current is more bleak and depressing than that room ever was.

7. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

the current desktop theme has got to be him re-discovering a love a progrock ;) :lol:

8. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

They should just take the current set and repaint it in pearlescent whites and silvers and such. Cheer it up a bit and give it even more of a retro-cool look.

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

....and bring back the round things?

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. The basic design I think is pretty damn cool. It's just the fact the room is so damn dark and... blue.

It was fitting for where the Doctor was at in The Snowmen, but by this point it just doesn't seem to fit him at all. And I would imagine Moffat would want to make the room look a bit more warm and inviting for Capaldi's first series as well.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I like the newst console room, it's not as busy looking as the last one and I didn't like the red color, blue is much better cooler looking color. And I like the catwalk going around the upper level.

12. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I liked Smith's first console room the best of any of them. Steampunk, whimsical, bright, charming. Yes, the new one looks like more like a machine like Moffat was going for and the top has the cool Gallifreyan symbols, but it's just....blegh. Every time I see it I expect there to be mist, strobe lights, and a rock ballad to start playing.

Maybe it's the blue/green light. If they changed the lighting I might think differently.

9 and 10's console room WAS a bit too grungy, and I remember thinking that even back in 2005. I mean, I get why they made it that way but I remember thinking they could've at least spruced it up. Didn't the chairs have exposed foam and duct tape?

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Gawd. Who in their right might would like PROG ROCK? :barf:

I think they will stick around with it, I don't mind it, but I can't say it's my favorite. It's a little dour.

14. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm fine with dour. The last was just a disaster. Too many random shapes and colors. The whole room was a jumbled mess without any cohesion.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  15. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

As something of a designer, I disagree. There were aspects of the last design that were (arguably) a mess, but the central forms and stylings were fine. The random shapes they used to fill in the walls were the only real problems I had.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The off centerness was too distracting. It was like looking at a expression artist's painting. All these funny angles and the diagonal doors

17. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain