No watches in Trek?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by MarsWeeps, May 3, 2014.

1. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I haven't worn a wristwatch in years. Everything has a clock in it now, from my cable box, to my iPhone, all of my computers, my car, and even my microwave oven and coffeemaker.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm with you. It seems eminently easier to just glance at my wrist than fiddle with some sort of high-tech device. Especially if I'm walking the dog, or mowing the lawn, or strolling down to the bank or post office or whatever.

Then again, I was on a plane the other day and I couldn't help noticing that it seemed like I was the only person who had brought along a newspaper and a paperback novel instead of a laptop or tablet or some such gadget.

Times are changing, I guess. But I still want to know how Captain Kirk knows what it time it is when he's racing to escape Gamma Zeta Omega IV . . ..

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was a decently early adopter and I think every cell phone I've ever had would show the time right on the main display without having to do anything else.

It works pretty well for those of us who occasionally have the need to know the time but don't need to constantly check.

4. Greg Cox

Okay, I couldn't resist running downstairs to the kitchen to examine our cell phone (which mostly sits in a cupboard, unused). Turns out the time is on the main display after all. Who knew?

Still seems easier just to glance at my wrist than to carry a phone around all the time, though. :)

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I stopped wearing a watch last year after I realized I was wearing it strictly out of habit. At work, the time is always right there in the bottom-right corner of the screen, at home I have enough clocks around, and since work has me tethered to a cell phone, I always have one when I'm out. The watch just became redundant.

6. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I sit at the school waiting to pick up my child and I'm the only parent not looking at my mobile phone.
    I sometimes take along a Star Trek novel (perhaps written by people who frequent this board) to read. Although I hide its cover. Don't want people to think I'm a weird Star Trek fan or anything.

But I say the main reason Kirk doesn't need a watch is that he's got Spock to tell him the time.
    If he rendezvousing with Spock, he's got the time is on his communicator or tricorder.

Also maybe in command school they teach him how to judge short passages of time like 20 minutes.

7. Greg Cox

A few summers ago, during a heat wave, lots of people flocked to our local library in search of air-conditioning. I noticed that I was the only person scribbling on a yellow legal pad instead of working on a laptop . . . .

But don't be ashamed of those incriminating Star Trek covers. Fly your Trekkie flag freely! :)

8. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering the fact we have Google Glass now, there's certainly the possibility that technology would advance to the point where Starfleet could conceivably have a HUD projected directly on the retina that includes a chronometer. It's been awhile since I've watched TOS in full but I recall episodes where Spock and Scotty give extended reports as they face the view screen. It's conceivable the information could be displayed on the main viewer. Or, on their Google Glass - Retina Edition.

The issue however is why would a communicator or tricorder be needed if such tech existed? One could suggest these devices go well beyond their apparent use. Or, ya know, audiences need something they can relate to. While I, in 2014, can accept the idea of a retinal implant, 1960s audiences probably couldn't.

9. Greg Cox

I confess: I miss watches in Trek simply because it would give the characters some physical business to do. :)

"Kirk glanced at the chronometer on his wrist-communicator. His brow furrowed in concern as the seconds ticked away on the illuminated digital display."

10. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    If they're on a planet, they can always use the Sun (or moon, if it's night time).

That's how I do it when my clock batteries are dead and I'm too lazy to check the computer clock. Mind you, it's a useless method when the sky is so cloudy you can't tell where the Sun or Moon is.

11. Greg Cox

Although, of course, you have to remember what planet you're on, what its rotational cycle is, and how many moons it has in various different orbits . . . .

Spock could probably do that in his head, but the average redshirt?

"Hey, Kelso, what time is it?"

"Well, this planet orbits a binary star-system, this is the fifth planet in its system, and the days are 76.8 hours long, so . . . oh hell, does somebody have a watch?"

12. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was skimming the thread and thought you relied on your wristwatch and land mines. It made for an interesting couple of seconds while I tried to figure out what your game is.

13. Greg Cox

Just watch where you step.

14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

..On your wrist?

What are the onscreen instances of somebody knowing the time of the day or the amount of time passed when he or she should not? That is, when there is no piece of technology with them, and Spock or Data is not part of the team?

(I guess Bashir might know the exact time, too - and it would be great fun to spot him quoting that during the early seasons, and the significance flying high above the heads of his friends...)

Timo Saloniemi

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But they do have watches in the novels. I remember a couple where a character would check their "wrist chrono". I guess someone somewhere thought that sounded more futuristic than "watch".

16. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Tricorders certainly could display internal or ship's network time. Kirk has no need with Spock around.

17. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    Timepieces are the fire in which we burn, Captain....

Not to mention that this would do very little to tell you what you probably wanted to know - shipboard time - unless you also kept up with it continuously from the time you landed.

18. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In Stephen Whitfield's MAKING OF STAR TREK book, there is are excerpts from several notes Gene Coon made on various scripts. One of the scenes called for an Enterprise officer to look at his watch, causing Coon to sarcastically remark "Is it a Timex or an Ingersoll?" This indicated that the original series creators felt that watches would no longer be used in Star Trek's time.

19. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

According to my copy of TMOST, it was a comment by an unnamed staff member after a first script reading: "On page 14, South looks at Janice's wristwatch. Does she wear a Timex or an Ingersol?"

20. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

didn't rasmusen have some kind of watch (or at least a count down timer)? been a while since I've seen that episode, plus he was from the past so even if I'm remembering correctly it doesn't prove anything about the time period the shows take place in