DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So, which Superboy in Krypton Returns was the one from the first couple years of the TT and SB mags?

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Was epically disappointed with "Justice League: 3000". Won't be continuing.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Not sure if I was "epically" disappointed but it wasn't what I was expecting from Giffen/DeMatteis. I like the general idea of the storyline but I'm not sure if they are the best ones to flesh it out. Will give it another couple issues to see where its going.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got the feeling that Howard Porter designed the characters... But how much of the back story did he staple into the plot before Giffen and DeMattias were brought into the mix to carry the ball?

5. BillJ

I thought Porter was brought in after Kevin MaGuire got fired from the book?

EDIT: You're right. Porter designed the characters.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I consider the original Giffen/DeMatties JL/JLA/JLE to be one of the best comic runs ever, but saw nothing here that would make me think this was written by the same team. Let me know if it gets better. I would love to see that kind of magic recaptured.

7. Guy Gardener

I checked on wikipedia to confirm before I posted. Porter did the original character sketches, then Maguire was brought on but then he was fired so the Editors went back to Porter.

8. BillJ

Their work on those books is the only reason I picked up JL3000 to begin with. :techman:

9. Guy Gardener

Have you read their Defenders mini series?

Hulk to Namor "Hey fishface! You found Nemo Yet?"

If they were going to do anything Justice league related, I'd think that they would be trying to bring dignity back to Sue Dibney?

Jurgens isn't awful, but he didn't have the balls to waste the Justice league International brand like he did. Cancelled after 11 issues.

He all know when Giffen and DeMattias stopped in the 90s and he started, but I'm guessing that Dan doesn't, not that that's any fault on his part for coming in second place.

10. BillJ

The Jurgens JLA books were dreadful.

11. Guy Gardener

I was being kind.

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Well yes, anybody could told you that it was a turkey on arrival. If you looked at the stuff he has written after he returned from Marvel, none of it has been very good.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yeah, I used to like Jurgens but his stuff just isn't doing it for me anymore.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I quite enjoyed Jurgens' run on Booster Gold in the post Infinite Crisis days.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

From the teaser images am I the only one who gets the feeling that New 52 Earth 5 years later is going to be one of the horrific nightmare futures, because it looks like some kind of robot monster thing hacked up a decent amount of the heroes and turned them into its cyborg minions.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Might have something to do with Brother Eye.

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like it will be a rehash of a2001 or various other alternative futures that never happen - still might make a good story...

19. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think he started out okay when he took over for Giffen and DeMatties. I really liked his Starbreaker story, where the League went against him, Guy quit, and it took the team of Blue and Gold to save the day.

He also did a good job with the post-Death of Superman issues, with his story called "Destiny's Hand."

At least I thought so at the time, before I learned he ripped off Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme in a story line where our world was replaced by one in which the Justice League went fascist. Though, it was awesome to see Hawkman with Sinestro's ring.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

He was good up into his run of Thor at Marvel. The Reigning was likely where he lost it. Everything he has done afterwards just hasn't been very good at all.