Halo: Reach

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SPCTRE, Sep 9, 2010.

1. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

It just occured to me there isn't an active Halo: Reach thread around here. :wtf:

Here's the new, extended cut for the Deliver Hope live action trailer:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKRlWLDWhGI[/yt]
    Goosebump-worthy I'd say.

Anyways, only five more days to go! Amazon.co.uk claims to ship my Legendary Edition on September 13th :techman:

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I only pre-ordered the regular edition. I like Halo, but not quite enough to drop $80 on the limited edition, and certainly not enough to drop $150 on the Legendary Edition. :lol:

I did get a $20 credit toward a future game purchase at Amazon, though, so that'll come in handy when Call of Duty: Black Ops releases in November. :techman:

3. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

The multiplayer beta was fun. Otherwise I wouldn't be giving it a second thought. Not after ODST.

4. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Im kind of burned out on the Halo franchise. That being said, Halo: The Fall of Reach was a great military sci-fi novel so I'm interested in the story. I for may bite if only that.

5. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

That's actually the main reason I am so hyped about the game - reading The Fall of Reach back in the day made me a glutton for Halo lore. :techman:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  6. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Indeed. That novel (and perhaps a few of the other ones) is the best thing about the franchise. Make of that what you will :p

7. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Co-op matchmaking is the only reason why I'm interested in picking up the game when it releases. Here's hoping it works anyway.

8. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I had originally purchased the Legendary Edition (yes, I'm a sucker for the franchise and I really want that kickass statue), but I had to downgrade to the regular edition after losing my job a couple months ago. Seriously looking forward to the game, though I'm finding my anticipation somewhat different this time around. In the past, I was paying attention to pretty much every scrap of news that came out about each game, but with Reach, for the most part I've only watched the trailers. I haven't intentionally avoided reading about it, but I haven't actively sought out information either.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I'll get this sometime in 2011 when a price drop occurs because I only care about Halo for co-op play. I have zero interest in online versus mode due to well annoying little kids and bunny hopping mad OTT gameplay.

10. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hah, well, it was leaked and someone uploaded the ending if you want to avoid that stuff. :lol

11. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Just read the news over at halo.bungie.org, no danger of spoiling anything - Louis Wu & his buddies know their stuff and go to extreme lengths to avoid spoilers.

12. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

After realizing that I probably wouldn't be able to walk in a store and grab the limited edition, I opted instead of preordered it on Amazon last night. I sprung for the super dooper delivery because I really want to get it on launch :p I also opted for the limited edition because I really want Halsey's journal. That looks like a quality tie in product.

As for the leaked stuff, i came across a cutscene from the game but only managed to watch 2 seconds of it before my spoiler sense kicked in. Unfortunately, I think that 2 seconds was enough to get the gist of the scene though. :(

13. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

the only reason i wont buy reach is because i stick by my principles. fps should be played on pc. otherwise i would have ordered it weeks ago...

14. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

My principles say any game where a sticky grenade on someone's face fails to kill them 50% of the time is a waste of money.

15. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Was that something in the beta? Every sticky grenade I've stuck has always been a kill in Halo 2, 3 and ODST firefight.

16. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think that's fair, ODST wasn't a bad game at all, it just didn't feel the same without Master Chief, and it was short.

And by all accounts, Reach beats the shit out of it.

17. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I for one quite enjoyed ODST, and thought it was just as worthy of inclusion in the franchise as the trilogy. I still haven't played Halo Wars, though.

18. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

ODST was awesome. It was great because it wasn't about the MC and Cortana. It was great because the Halo universe is great. (I hope 343 Studios will deliver more games that feature new perspectives on the Halo lore by the way.)

I haven't had this much fun gameplay-wise since the original Halo. Don't get me wrong, I had fun in H2 and H3, but the mechanics just couldn't live up to the original (*cough* pistol *cough*). ODST was a step in the right direction. From what I've seen so far, Reach will take it one, maybe two steps further in that direction. Not to mention a couple of nice innovations and improvements.

Also, it basically had the entire cast of Firefly :cool:

19. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Agreed. Plus on a simple thematic level, I know the extermination of your race is a big deal, but ODST's story, especially with you wandering the streets in the rain at night really made it feel personal. Add to that the audio logs and you had one hellova poignant story which put a less grand spin on the franchise but managed to maintain a sense of urgency and drama previous Halo games failed to achieve.

Plus like you said, its the closest we'll ever get to a proper Firefly game, so that's also a big plus. I hear Buck is back in Reach in some form, so I look forward to that. :)

20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

^ It's good to be Nathan Fillion. :techman:

[​IMG]