Aurora in the northern USA

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by RAMA, Apr 14, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

If you're looking for some in-depth science details on the potential of seeing the Northern Lights across Central PA and Northeast tonight, check out this link.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/Aurora/.

Look north between 8-11 pm, and get away from city lights if possible to help better the view.

2. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Would be cool, if it was viewable from here.

3. Talosian

Talosian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

New Jersey's supposed to be prime territory for viewing the aurora.

So far, nothing has been seen. The word from people throughout the state is that nobody's spotted it yet.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I didn't see shit

5. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But did you see any auroras? <rimshot>

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ive had bad luck with the last few meteor showers and this as well...which saddens me because my stepdaughter has taken an interest in astronomy and celestial happenings.

RAMA

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes::lol:

8. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's the US north-east coast. I'm in Massachusetts, and if there is anything cool going on in the sky, it will be overcast at least. Space probes and telescopes are now providing the most amazing views, yet there is still something magical about seeing planets and nebulae "live" through a backyard telescope. You need to find a "star party."

You probably know of the free, multi-platform space simulator Celestia. While it is not inherently designed for education, like many commercial variants, the Celestia Motherlode includes educational add-ons.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

In Canada, I get to see them fairly often enough where I'm located. Sometimes the naked eye won't really see much other than a faint glow, something to keep in mind when looking for them. But cameras can capture some amazing views. The last time my Dad and I were out shooting, we had captured an aurora by accident. These were taken in March of last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yes, Ive been to the local astronomy club meetings before as well as the local college viewings, thought its been some time since I have. I wanted to take my stepdaughter to the observatory, only to find that its been closed to the public for a few years.

Hale-Bopp was one of my favorite viewings with the club:http://www.bobthealien.co.uk/cometshalebopp.htm

I've used Celestia before though I plan on buying a new telescope with a drive and planetarium software of it's own.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yes i know you can, you bastards! :lol:

I've only seem them once, in late 1989 during a major flare. I even remember the episode of STNG that aired that week: "Booby Trap"