new star trek trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Apr 16, 2013.

1. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

FYI - That background is an altered image from the Hubble Space Telescope..

2. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Starfleet does build warships... Constitution Class could act like one when needed. It was not strictly a science vessel, one of their missions was to protect federation planets. The Enterprise could lay waste to a planet if it had to. (General Order 24)

-Chris

3. Jen

Jen Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved that line. Love the way Chris Pine delivered it. It was almost heartbreaking.

I will echo pretty much everyone and say this trailer looks freaking awesome! May 15th cannot come quick enough! :techman:

4. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Fan-freaking-tastic!

5. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek literature is non-canon. :p I'm sure the story for this movie will be completely self-contained and non-reliant on pre-release literature.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

If they kept that it makes me wonder what the Dreadnaught can do, blow a planet in two? Lay waste to an entire star system?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
  7. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I ... dunno. What is it about this trailer that has everyone feeling it's so epic? The scary ship that's bigger than the hero ship? We got that in Star Trek: Nemesis, and we saw where that went.

On the other hand, Harrison looks like a helluva better villain than Shinzon.

My fingers are crossed.

===================================================
    EDITED TO ADD:

Watched two more times. There's a lot of action ... I just hope the story is as good as the ka-boomy stuff.

8. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

Those smoke trails leading to the Enterprise nacelles and blowing them up is its own photon torpedoes (the ball things) being used against them. You can see where the smoke trail clearly leads out of the front of the torpedo launcher on the neck and towards the Dreadnought and then turns back. Looks like the Dreadnought somehow rerouted the torpedoes back to the Enterprise.

See the images the bottom of the shot by shot analysis from Trekmovie.com.

http://trekmovie.com/2013/04/16/sho...-domestic-theatrical-trailer/#comment-5056218

9. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think anyone said that they thought the trailer was great on the merit that Harrison's ship is bigger... just that it's regarded as a well put together trailer.

We got that in Star Trek '09, and we saw where that went too. Not really any correlation.

10. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
  11. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping they don't. I'm seriously sick of time travel in Trek movies. This has all the makings of a blockbuster AND critical success story w/o the added lameness of time travel TYVM.

12. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wrong, on your first point. Starfleet would absolutely know about the advanced, huge, and vastly more powerful ship thanks to the crew and logs from the utterly destroyed Kelvin.

They just wouldn't know what happened to it. What power was behind it. They certainly wouldn't know that it was just one ship from the future controlled by a man driven mad with grief.

Knowing it was by the Neutral Zone, the might have thought it a Klingon ship, but easily could have thought it to be a an example of the Romulan Empire (who weren't active at this time).

Imagine how that would impact fear in the Federation and Starfleet that a once bitter, bitter enemy that has been hiding from you, has a ship (and possibly many of the same type) that vastly outclass anything your fleet has? It would have pushed Starfleet into having bigger weapons, stronger push for military power over exploration, and certainly would have given any intelligence agency/ covert military group great reason to build up.

As for why the Enterprise wasn't builfd up like that. Easy first what 15 years have passed to show of new ship, that reduces fear in Starfleet and Federation, but it doesn't mean you don't develop some ships, a class a prototype. remember in this new universe we don't know what type of classes of starships are out there (which is actually true of original TOS as well).

Think of TNG, and how much the actions of the Enterprise C changed the duty of the Galaxy class Enterprise (its a warship, no families, no counselor), and thats with a long standing war. How much did that change the focus of Starfleet during the career of that alternate Picard?

Look in the normal universe. The Defiant class. Not all new ships were built to be destroyers? Nor do to the Borg Threat (something similar to a degree) did Starfleet start throwing out huge numbers of that ship. Sisko even talks about how the production of the ship stalled as the Borg Threat seem to lesson, but it still created several that we know of it that class.

If that incident happened in just the wrong time, I could see the threat pushing for more military sided buildup, and I can see it if it hit at a bad point in time and the wrong people are in positions of power pushing a group like Section 31 to do something similar to say the Obsidian order that went above its mandate and actually started building its own private ships.

It wouldn't be Starfleet or the Federation at its finest, certainly, but its absolutely possible and even reasonable.

13. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Psion it's not teh size of the ship (and seriosuly why would someone think that int eh first place?), its the overall feel of the material.

1st. Its produced extremely well. Strong across the board production values. Something that wasn't true of Nemesis.

2. A continuation of part of a story that many felt was rushed (a Kirk with too little experience given command), I love that they are continuing this.

3. Character beats the seem to have real meat behind them (this is of course a railer and the story can fall completely flat in the film), but the scenes show have gravitas to them.

14. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Just because Trek literature is technically non-canon doesn't mean that it doesn't inform and inspire events in the movies which are cannon. The "Countdown" comics clearly influenced the events of ST09, even though ST09 worked as a standalone film in addition to being a continuation of the Countdown story. I expect the same to be the case here, with STID working as a standalone film even though it's also a loose continuation of the "Countdown To Darkness" storyline.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great trailer! :techman: :bolian: :cool:

16. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

That's probably the best trailer yet. Most impressive. I still have misgivings about this film, but I hope it does well.

17. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, on an even finer point - love the sound FX at 1:14. Who knew dropping out of warp could sound so sinister? :evil:

18. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

Just to get my two cents in. I'm now thinking that the new starship is from Section 31, and was built in response to the Nero attack in the first film. Also that John Harrison is an engineered product from Sec. 31 as well. To add to my theory, the secondary hull does seem to have a stealth fighter faceted design and look.
    [​IMG]

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Noticed that. That's the sound of "Yeah, you're pretty much fucked right now" showing up in front of ya'.

20. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think something like "Section 31" is likely to be referenced in the movie.