My Trek Through Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

Well, you've probably watched more of it to be able to have that opinion. I only watched part of one episode. I tried again, and that time I didn't get past the intro. It got to the part where there's the evil looking guy in black leather with animal teeth, and I was like "No, that's okay." I hope you enjoy it. Please tell me what you think when you've seen the whole first season.

I try to be patient with first seasons, but I tend to give a series half a season if there's anything in the pilot that's worthwhile. After that, my patience has worn itself out. There are other things to do I guess.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

With sci fi you need to be heroically patient at times..

Enterprise will reward you!

3. Spock/Uhura Fan

Sounds like you're winning that battle. :techman:

4. teacake

No, I just pretty much hate all other genres and I'm too low on my fix to be picky.

5. Spock/Uhura Fan

So, you've watched all of the best stuff? What do you think's best?

6. teacake

Babylon 5. Now that's old school if you're weaned on NuBSG but it's great. Story arcs, character development, SURPRISING developments (something Trek sucked at), politics, huge cast, grey area ethics, humor.. frankly if there was a fandom as active as Trek and a forum as active as this one devoted to Bab5 I probably wouldn't be here.

That said I did love NuBSG. I watched it recently in 5 weeks and I was quite obsessed with it, to the point of dreaming about it.

7. Spock/Uhura Fan

Oh okay, so I'm not so bad. I saw both of those. I saw Babylon 5 because I love DS9 and I heard it was based off of Bab5 to an extent (shame on Paramount). What I liked about Bab5 was the sheer number of ideas and themes that were being dealt with. It surpassed DS9 in that area. What I think DS9 did a little better was thoroughly working out the fewer themes and ideas it dealt with. Now I didn't see the movies, so I'm going to guess that this was done there. Just going off of the series, though, I think there were things that were left hanging. Like, I know that Leeta went with G'Kar, but we never got to see her (in the series) be able to control herself and find peace. We also didn't get to see Psi Corps destroyed (IIRC) and some kind of peace worked out between them and the "mundanes," with the outcast telepaths included and represented as well. That would have been nice. Still, I really enjoyed the series. It had some really great characters.

I thought nuBSG was good, and the last season and a half was just okay for me. There were some great twists in there, though. I didn't like the "triangle," or "quadrangle," or whatever it's called. Kara and Sam seemed to work itself out, but the rest of it was a mess.

8. teacake

I notice you commented on Treklit in the VOY forum..

(oops,that was alpha flyer.. well you may have my 2 cents anyway)

I will say that the Babylon 5 trilogy, "The Passing of the Technomages" was pretty much the best fiction I ever read. It soured me for Treklit big time because it was just so good. I also read the Psi Corp trilogy which very believably shows you the corp from genesis to present day as well as Bester's story. It's not as developed writing as the Technomages trilogy but it's incredibly satisfying.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  9. Spock/Uhura Fan

Fight or Flight

[​IMG]

This episode starts off alright, and it’s nice until we get to the part where Captain Archer decides to send over the coordinates to Earth’s star system without even getting past “Hello,” with a potentially new found species. That’s really bad, and it makes him look like he failed “Captain 101.” I know this is the first exploration mission for them, but even common sense should have kept him from that. What he did would be like going up to someone at a club and saying “Hi, here’s my home address and a map so you know how to get there,” before s/he even has the chance to say “Hello,” back. But at the same time, it’s the beginning and he’s learning.

I’m really not trying to keep saying things about Archer, but I didn’t like it when he was basically chewing out his second in command and the chief engineer during dinner over a command decision he made. He gave the order to resume their course, so if he had a problem with that then he should have taken that to his private quarters to either get over or rethink it. I hope to warm up to him, though.

It looks like Hoshi has some growing to do too. I would think that after seeing what was done to the other alien race, she wouldn’t hesitate to try to do what she could to get help, knowing that without that death was imminent. I think it’s too bad that she had to be kind of coddled into helping while the hull was being breached. When she tried, she ended up being able to speak pretty fluently, so I guess that worked out. They also made some friends, which was nice.

Grade: C minus

** I think I ‘m going to just give my overall impression of episodes and kind of group a few posts together from now on. **

@teacake
    Thanks for the information, but I don't read the literature. I've only really read one fanfic writer for S/U, and that was enough for me. I tried another, but I stopped before I was halfway through the story. So, I'm happy with the one, especially since she's still writing.

10. Spock/Uhura Fan

Strange New World
    [​IMG]

This has been the best episode so far to me. They got to explore a new planet, and T’Pol got to be the hero. I felt sorry for Trip, and I really like the interaction he has with T’Pol at the end. It’s nice that everyone worked together to get past the danger of the situation. I’m also starting to think it’s T’Pol’s job to save them from themselves when necessary.

Grade: B
    ---------

Unexpected
    [​IMG]

I like Trip, and this was a nice episode for him. I liked the alien race they came across and the fact that they had the best (and first?) holographic suite humans had come across. I couldn’t believe Trip didn’t realize sooner that “the game” got him pregnant. T’Pol’s reaction was funny, “Three days, you were only there for three days…” :D

Grade: B
    ---------

Terra Nova
    [​IMG]

This one isn’t my favorite, but it had some bright spots.

Grade: C minus

----------------

The Andorian Incident
    [​IMG]

Well, lol, Andorians are a part of Star Trek canon. The first time I read about them was in fan fiction, and I thought the writer made them up. They don’t look like what I imagined. This is a small gripe, but I think T’Pol uses too many contractions. I’m still not a fan of Archer, but at this point I’m not holding that against the series.

Grade: B minus

11. I am Surak

I am Surak Captain Captain

Great Teacake. Now you have me watching Nikita because Lady Heather is in it...............

12. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

... That's really about all the discussion "Terra Nova" deserves. :p

I remember "Strange New World" fondly from its first airing. Definitely better than the first two eps.

13. Spock/Uhura Fan

:p

14. teacake

:: looks up Lady Heather ::

Oooooo... could I actually watch CSI for this? Yes.. yes I could. The perfect Melinda Clarke role. She's in Nikita a lot more in season 2 btw.

Oh and as for Andorians S/UF they were in TOS and people wanted to see them again for a loooong time. Now that the makeup etc.. is so great it was very popular. You will not have seen the last of Shran.

I'm the only person who loved Terra Nova, aren't I.

15. I am Surak

No you are not Teacake. I really enjoyed Terra Nova. I found the concept interesting that within a generation space faring scientists can be reduced to subterranian shale dwellers.
    And also because of Erick Avari who is a wonderful versatile actor.

Now I always think that I am the only one who enjoys "A night in sickbay"

16. teacake

I always get all teary when the old lady realizes she was the little girl in the photo in Terra Nova. I was quite surprised to realize it was so disliked.

As to ANIS.. I like ALL the Phlox parts but none of the Archer parts. The Phlox parts a fabulous :)

17. I am Surak

Methinks you have to watch ANIS again Teacake. Archer/T'Pol kissing, DeconChamber Gel action, T'Pol in a skirt, Spinning wars and the list goes on. There were so many unexpected images in that episode that I thought it was a feast for the eyes:)

18. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

The hunt for the Pyrithian bat.

'Course that skeered the Flying Fox, but what can ya do.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since it's a discussion thread, I'll pipe in.

Strange New World... seemed very cliche to me, with no real purpose beyond to demonstrate how ignorant Archer can be and how racist Trip is. He sure didn't do his Southern sterotype any favors that's for sure. Couple that with bringing the dog along and I found the episode rather annoying.

Unexpected.. I actively disliked. The premise of the aliens towing along was neat and original, but it went down hill from there. Trip getting pregnant? Technically since she impregnanted him without his knowledge(or consent) he was raped. And they just laugh and/or scorn him? Talk about victim blaming. Though I did lol at the Klingon's "I can see my house!"

Terra Nova... cut from the exact same plot of Strange New World, this episode has very few surprises. Basically Planet of the Apes meets Star Trek, with any interesting acting or plot elements removed.

The Andorian Incident... an episode I liked! This one was interesting on many levels. It introduces us both to the Andorians and Shran! It introduces some interesting political rivalries too. The Evil Vulcan Syndrome is pretty thick in this one, but that can be overlooked this time.

20. teacake

I think The Andorian Incident was the showcase for this season, the one that grabbed people and showed them ENT was capable of less pedestrian stories. That and the wonderfulness that was modern Andorians. And of course, Jeffery Combs.