Intrepid class VS a galaxy class, which was more powerful and advanced

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by kent, Jan 22, 2009.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Re: Intrepid class VS a galaxy class, which was more powerful and adva

With the ship being roughly the size of the constitution class and only needing 150 crewman to man her. This compared to 400 for the constitution. I wouldn't doubt it taking less time to come out of the ship yard. Intrepid seems like a Galaxy class slim. I use slim in the gaming term sense. Like the PS3 original and the PS3 slim and super slims released years later.

2. M.A.C.O.

Interesting information on the Galaxy class and other Enterprises. If you havent seen this already it's on the Star Trek Evolutions disc from the 2009 dvd releases.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnqAbgaZIuI&feature=youtu.be[/yt]

3. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Its noteworthy that during the Domino War, the Galaxy Classes that were being spit out were also upgraded compared to the Enterprise D, they were known as Galaxy 2s or Venture Classes. They had less luxuries, were designed to carry less personnel (more in the bracket of 600 officers and non-comms IIRC), but were equipped with upgraded warp engines and bio-neuro circuits to match the Interpids.

In other words, they kept pace with the advancements.

Only a handful of Galaxy Class ships are as luxurious as Enterprise D, the Yamato or the Venture.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where is all this talk of upgraded Galaxy class ships coming from? It certainly wasn't in any of the episodes.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A certain measure of common sense? Unless you think for example the USS Missouri had the same armament and layout in 1945 and 1990. Or since TNG never once mentioned bathrooms, they were holding it for seven years. ;)

If you want canon reference to Starfleet upgrading older ships, look at the USS Lakota in DS9's Paradise Lost.

6. kgartm1185

kgartm1185 Lieutenant Red Shirt

No, the upgraded Galaxy class ships were just in about every episode of the battles in the Dominion war.:rolleyes:

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Galaxy-class ships were in the Dominion War. There is no evidence they were any different in ability, crew or anything else to the Enterprise-D.
    There's a big difference between saying "they probably use slightly more advanced components" and reeling off lists of statistics and class names which are complete fanfiction.
    Which IIRC was a one-off upgrade made in secret and a big deal, not something considered usual practice.

8. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Some of them had the additional phasers from All Good Things glued to the nacelle, otherwise I agree with you, there was never any hint that they were upgraded.

I still don't get why so many people seem to argue about meaningless made up numbers for warp speeds, phaser strengths etc., look at the numbers, what do they tell you about the chances of an X-Wing vs. the Death Star? We all know how that battle ended!

9. R. Star

Designing your superweapon with a flaw a single person can exploit has led to the downfall of may evil overlords.

10. R. Star

Who says it's a one-off upgrade and not usual practice? When half your fleet consists of older Excelsior/Miranda classes, and you're preparing for a showdown with a superpower that's plain as day coming, yeah I think you'd be refitting your fleet across the board to get ready. The Lakota was the first, but there was still well over a year before the war started, so they had time given the Lakota was upgraded and revamped in the time span of two episodes.

11. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

It's quite plausible that the federation would have upgraded its Galaxies since the launch of Enterprise-D. But it's just speculation. I dunno where Lighthammer was getting his infos from, one of the videogames maybe.

12. dauntless

dauntless Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Taking into consideration that there were only supposed to be 6 Galaxy class ships in the fleet (Yamato, Enterprise, Odyssey, Galaxy, Venture and another one), I've always been amazed by how many pop up in the DS9 battle scenes. Anyhoo, in terms of being the most advanced, it would be the Intrepid class with it's bioneural gel packs...

In terms of power, I'd go for the Galaxy class any day. Beam some cheese over to Voyager and any battle would be your's.

13. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

When did they say there were only 6 Galaxy classes?
    At the start of TNG?
    Because if so, the Dominion war is ten years later and in that account there arent many Galaxy classes.

14. M.A.C.O.

^ Also remember Q Who and TBOBW occurred 2 to 3 years after the launch of the Galaxy class. With Starfleet losing 40 ships at Wolf 359. It's plausible to assume Starfleet decided to recover it's loses with more Galaxy class ships. It was a single galaxy class that had twice encountered a Borg cube, and survived.

I recall in TBOBW either Shelby or the Admiral (whose name i forget) saying they had several weapons in development to fight the Borg but they were still on the drawing board. My guess is Starfleet sanctioned the creation of defiant, sovereign, intrepid, prometheus and other starships not seen in TNG. Creating more galaxy class alongside the aforementioned ships seems like a smart step post Wolf 359. By DS9 SoA, WYLB and VOY Endgame, we can see there are many galaxy class ships.

15. R. Star

Even if a fleet of hundreds only roughly one out of ten was a Galaxy class.

16. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.

Regarding the Lakota upgrades, I would say we do not know one way or the other whether all Excelsiors were similarly upgraded.

We know that Leyton did this in secret, perhaps as a test to see if Defiant tech could be grafted onto older designs. We see that the Lakota at least held its own. Perhaps it was deemed a success, perhaps not - or perhaps Leyton's involvement scuttled the whole affair.

So we do know that it is certainly possible, but during the war we neither hear nor see anything to confirm it.

17. R. Star

A certain measure of common sense suggests that when a sizable percentage of your fleet consists of older designs that have to hold the front line, you're going to give them every advantage they can. Yes, the Lakota upgrade was a secret sort of. But he had no problem revealing it right away. While I'm sure the whole Defiant/Lakota fight was probably classified that doesn't mean the Starfleet high brass isn't going to analyze the results and come to the conclusion that if they refit the whole Excelsior fleet, they'll stand a better chance against the Dominion.

If not before the war, certainly during it. During world war 2, capital ships were routinely modified and upgraded and seldom had the same specifications they did the prior year for example. You do what you have to to win.

18. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.

Agreed. I'm just saying there's no concrete evidence that Starfleet did so. If you wanted to, you could argue that the whole thing was a flop and any upgrades to existing ships might've been minimal.

Common sense certainly does point to Starfleet, as you say, giving every ship every advantage they could. Visually, all we really ever see from Excelsiors in the DW are the traditional beams and torpedoes from the traditional locations - but this doesn't disprove that they were upgraded in some way.

19. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, where did my long post explaining sourcing go?

The long and short answer is there's been plenty of articles about Galaxy Class upgrades in Star Trek the Magazine and other officially sanctioned material. Star Trek Online, another officially sanctioned source cites a lot material about the history of the Galaxy class ships.

I had a much longer post explaining it but either some random admin decided to delete it? --- or the forums had some sort of weird reset.

20. R. Star

^
    Strictly speaking novels, tech manuals, magazines and what not are not considered canon since it wasn't on screen, no matter how "official" they are. Heck, STO can't even keep it's backstory consistent with the other novels.

While as I said a measure of common sense dictates that yeah, the ships were being upgraded, there's not really on screen documentation of that. I guess you could also say that Data's line in all good things that in the present they had a technobabble scanner, but didn't in season 1's past time period argues that, albeit weakly.