Crew age and nu-Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by YARN, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're right. There were pessimistic people. However, that was not everyone, nor do I think it was a consensus feeling.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Welcome to the Internet. There's always a vocal contingent of fans who are hostile to anything new.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Hostile might be an understatement. ;)

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think pessimism was the consensus, either. In August 2006 I joined this board because I heard there was going to be a new "Star Trek" movie. I was excited as hell. Here I am over six years later still posting here. (Note to self: find time soon to take a long look at your life over the last six years.)

The movie may not have been everyone's cup of tea, but it kept "Star Trek" alive, and made it relevant and fresh.

It wasn't just another derivative form of Trek being sold as new, it was a reinvigoration of the essence of "Star Trek" at its very creation. It was the fountain of youth for Trek.

And if I could, I'd give Abrams a big hug for being as true to the Trek that hooked me in the late 1960s as he actually was. Of course, that's just one old man's opinion.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Prequels being predictable? What a meaningful criticism! :rolleyes:

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"Prequel" and "reboot" always cause a knee jerk reaction in some people.

7. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Why not assume that he didn't say anything about his age in the new film? Why pick one over the other?

Right, which is why I don't see why one would need to prefer one over the other.

The age discrepancy seems to simply flow from the characters being bottle-necked into the academy at the same time. Something has to give, so the ages were fudged a little.

It's weird, because a non-Trekkie would not know or care about the ages, where a Trekkie could not help but note a discrepancy. It seems odd to make Chekov really young and thus have to make him a whiz-kid to explain his presence at the academy only to pass with the fans, when fans are bound to notice the difference anyhow (those fans who don't care about the age won't care either way; those who do will hold it to be heretical violation of canon).

Might have been better just to make Chekov a person of indiscriminate age without having to inaugurate him as a super genius. This could potentially create problems down the road. Scotty is supposed to be the engineering genius, Kirk is the tactical genius, McCoy if not a Dr. House, is at least the highest medical authority on board, Spock is the science/all-purpose genius -- with Chekov as a another super genius it could get a little crowded. Who gets the epiphany? That question may have just gotten a little tougher. The genius factor also seems to potentially throw the Sulu-Chekov balance at the navigator/helmsman station a little off -- if Sulu isn't a genius, is he going to be a our go to fencing guy?
    This isn't an insurmountable problem, but a complicating wrinkle - another thing you now have to keep track of, unless of course all reference to it is dropped in later films. In that case it just becomes a vaguely felt question "Hey, wasn't Chekov a genius in the first film? Seems like he should have some ideas here..."

It's interesting how when you move the narrative furniture around even a little bit the details quickly ramify.

8. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think this is evidence that this Chekov is not the same biological individual as in TOS, although it's entirely possible that he has a younger brother who is. TOS was often portrayed as a bit of a buffoon, although he was a mine of scientific trivia. He was no genius... Chekov was a scientist with evidence of him having a background in zoology, astronomy, atronavigation, and planetary sciences. Sulu was a physicist/astrophysicist with an interest in botany. They also made Chekov a security officer in TMP, despite the fact that he was ill suited to that role (often getting beaten up) although he made a competent bridge tactical officer.

I prefer characters to have their own niche where they can shine but those areas usually get bumped for a) convenience and b) to give Kirk and Spock the most air time.

They do seem to have an awareness of character niche hence Sulu got to go sword fighting. Chekov's niche is now different (maths and transporter use) for the sake of convenience but I can see that his becoming the go-to guy for tricky transports gives him a niche.

It's a shame though, Janice Rand became a transporter operator in TMP and that could have been her niche. She has a history of killing people on the transporter so losing Amanda would be right up her street :bolian:

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^There's a shot in the Into Darkness trailer of Chekov in a red tunic, which makes me wonder if they're moving him to security as per the earlier movies' precedent.

10. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Odd move if he really is a wunderkind. Will he have been busted down in rank, or will this be treated as a lateral move? It obviously would not seem to be a promotion to get red shirted when you're bridge crew.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

My suspicion is that ...
    After Kirk, Spock and Uhura go rogue to hunt down Harrison, Captain Peter Weller takes command of the Enterprise and reshuffles the remaining crew - leaving Chekov in engineering or security.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think Scott is one of the people who accompany Kirk and I think Chekov, is at least temporarily, chief engineer.

13. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Interesting guess, but why the spoiler tags???

14. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably because
    "Kirk, Spock and Uhura [going] rogue to hunt down Harrison
    could be considered a spoiler, since it was mentioned by one of those synopses that were alleged to contain information about the plot.