Star Trek: Tesseract -- Part II

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by kes7, Jun 20, 2010.

1. tau136

tau136 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeh "noble" not quite the mot juste but couldn't put my hand on the right word. I'm aiming for the idea that after all her very recent troubles with these exact Borg she's still sufficiently big-hearted/idealistic/noble/whatever to champion Dena.

2. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Wrenching and intense. Thank you for another fantastic chapter! You continue to impress me with your consistency and characterization. I look forward to reading your next!

Are any of the holographic doctors avail to assist Bashir in the removal of Dena's implants?

3. tau136

Class idea . . . they'd embed all the data from unimplanting 7/of/9.

4. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for the review, oldstredshrtevr. That's a good question about the EMH ... and one that will be addressed. We haven't had much opportunity to get into this, but at least in this story's universe, Voyager's EMH changed everything for that program, particularly when they got home and he started fighting for "holographic rights." The "sentient holographic crew" can of worms is one Starfleet is not quite prepared to open yet on a large scale. The debate still rages back home, so while the Tesseract is equipped with holographic tools to assist in various areas, they do not have an EMH as such -- at least not one they're supposed to be using while there's still a Doctor in the house. So Bashir might not have to perform hours and hours of surgery with his own hands ... but he still has to be in charge, make the decisions, give the commands. The AI is purposefully limited.

(That said, if they ever need a real EMH, O'Connor is a hell of a programmer and spent a year on Jupiter Station doing holoengineering. It's possible she could program an entire holographic replacement crew if it ever came to that.)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  5. KimMH

I confess I asked that with real trepidation - first not knowing how the Doctor's fight for holographic people's rights would fit into your work, and second because of the Doctor's fight - I confess I cannot think of holograms the same way.

It's odd - here in real life I would not worry about such things based on the progress we've made in holograms. But in the ST-verse it is a very real thing and sometimes the two worlds bleed in my head into a little bit of a scramble.

I cannot think about robotic arms constructing automobiles without thinking of Asimov's "I Robot" or Data and the thought they may someday be sentient - particularly given the advances made in AI. The idea that robots are people is a seed that has germinated in my head for a very long time now. Holographic people are rapidly becoming - in my way of thinking - the next "Imaginary" people to consider!

A brave new world indeed!

6. kes7

Oh, I totally agree -- hence the "can of worms" comment.

In a society like the Federation, if you can produce completely sentient holograms more or less at will, then what is society's obligation to those holograms? Should they have the right to "chart their own path?" Potentially displace others from their careers? Since they can be tailored for particular jobs and have stamina, abilities, and such far beyond most organic species' level, and never die, and can theoretically be upgraded as time goes on ... is it fair to allow them to potentially rise through the ranks and take over organizations like Starfleet? What happens when they outnumber the organics? Will it be the Eugenics wars all over again?

I'm sure these are the kinds of questions that were asked when the EMH started fighting for holographic rights, and I'm sure that debate would last for years. Given the general ban on genetic enhancement, I confess I'm not optimistic about the results of his efforts. I can see them treating him as a special case, much like they treated Data -- but more than that ... I'm just not sure.

Anyway, for purposes of this story, "our" EMH is definitely still around (on Earth, for now), but Bashir and Co. are the doctors on the Tesseract.

7. kes7

I missed this comment somehow the first time. "Idealistic" nails Maren completely. She's got an innate sense of fairness and justice, and will fight for what she sees as right even if it hurts her. With time and a little maturity, that idealism could develop into something resembling nobility. Right now, she's still just a bit too green, and her worldview is a little too myopic -- everything is colored by her own personal experience. She forgets the bigger picture sometimes.

8. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Forgot to subscribe earlier with my first post, missed the second section there till now.

I'm really starting to appreciate the form factor of this type of writing. You can just keep ratcheting up the tension and your only limit is whether the crew in the story, or the readers, will crack first (as opposed to a time or word limit for TV or dead tree versions).

9. kes7

Hey, Milo! Thanks so much for subscribing, and for the comment. I hope you don't crack before the crew does!

10. kes7

CHAPTER TWO

USS Tesseract -- Diplomatic Quarters

“We will not comply!” The shiny white top of the flimsy Starfleet-issue console table unexpectedly gave way under Malik B’akhti’s cybernetic hand as he slammed it angrily down on the unfortunate piece of furniture. Adele looked at the spidery cracks that had formed in the plastic with a weary expression, and just managed to suppress a sigh. She had had it with the Borg resistance leader’s attitude problem. Even so, as security stepped forward to intervene, she waved them off.

“I don’t see how you have a choice,” she replied calmly. “Your entire crew is in my brig, your ship is in a tractor beam, and you’re here behind a level ten force field. If you want our help, you’re going to have to compromise. You had your chance to coerce us when you held my exec hostage. Now it’s my turn.”

“I will not permit your engineer to board my ship,” Malik insisted hotly. “Send the drone if you wish, but no Starfleet.”

“The ‘drone’ is Starfleet,” Adele reminded him. “And he’s no more a drone than you are, and hasn’t been in some time.” She fixed Malik with a level gaze and said firmly, “I am sending Commander Icheb and Lieutenant O’Connor to secure your ship and bring it into our docking bay. The only choice you have is whether or not you will assist them. I recommend you cooperate. Let’s try to build a little trust on both sides, here.”

Malik looked at her for a long moment, and Adele could sense him weighing his options. Finally, he nodded. “I wish to bring one of my own engineers as well,” he said.

Adele nodded in reply. “I think that can be arranged.” She gave him a pointed look. “Just keep in mind we’re building trust, here. There isn’t any yet. My officers will be accompanied by heavy security. As will you.” So don’t even think about taking advantage, she thought silently.

Malik nodded, a bit dismissively for Adele’s liking. She knew he wasn’t impressed by Starfleet security. She had to admit she wouldn’t be, either, with the tactical advantages he had. She hoped the combination of Icheb’s and Maren’s quick minds and security’s firepower would be enough to maintain control of the situation.

“Very well, shall we proceed?” Adele asked Malik.

Silently, the cyborg nodded his assent. As security moved to flank him, he stepped forward to follow Adele.

USS Tesseract – Office of the Chief Engineer

“Are you certain you feel well enough to do this?” Icheb asked Maren O’Connor with concern. He watched as she tried unsuccessfully to secure the closure on her engineering bag for the third time. Her hands were visibly shaking – he was sure he would have been able to see it even without the aid of his ocular implant.

Maren nodded silently, once again fumbling with the closure. Icheb stepped forward and caught her hands in his, then gently removed them from the bag. “Please allow me,” he said, efficiently fastening the overstuffed bag shut. Maren stepped back, looking slightly embarrassed.

“You’re officially on medical leave,” Icheb reminded her. “If you don’t make allowances for your injuries, you’ll end up back in sickbay.” He chose not to remind her that as executive officer, he had the authority to send her there himself.

From what he had been told, she had sustained serious injuries when the Borg had attacked – much more serious than she appeared to be making any allowance for. He could tell she was feeling weak but trying to push herself, and made a mental note to closely monitor her observable biosigns. There was no doubt in his mind that she would work herself right back into sickbay if he wasn’t careful to enforce some reasonable limits.

“Yes, sir,” Maren assented quietly, but as Icheb hefted the heavy engineering bag onto his shoulder, she reached for the strap and blurted out, “You don’t need to carry that; I’ll take it.”

Icheb gave her an impatient look. “We’re alone in this office. Don’t call me ‘sir.’ I’m carrying the bag. You’re injured. Stop pushing yourself.” When Maren looked like she was about to protest, he added, “That’s an order.” He gave her a small smile to try and soften the impact of his words, but he knew he sounded more exasperated than he had intended.

She looked up at him for a moment, then sighed and nodded. “Fine … thank you,” she said quietly, letting go of the bag as she accepted his assistance. She closed her eyes for a moment, as she often did when trying to collect her thoughts. Feeling guilty for snapping at her, Icheb reached out and touched her arm. Startled, Maren quickly opened her eyes, and Icheb realized she had actually been fighting back tears.

“Are you really all right?” he asked, cautiously stepping closer to her and encircling her slender arm with his fingers. In a flash, the vulnerability was gone, replaced by the iciness he had begun to get used to since their assignment to the Tesseract. He could feel her stiffen in his grasp. Regardless of how familiar her rejection of him was becoming, it still stung. “Maren --” he started.

“Stop,” she whispered, cutting him off. She looked up at him, and a moment later the dam broke and a torrent of words came pouring out of her. “I’m not all right, Icheb,” she admitted quietly. “Of course I’m not all right. We’re in the middle of a Borg war zone. Four hundred people are missing, and one of them is our best friend. Malik B’akhti wants to use your DNA to annihilate trillions of people. I just saw a woman tearing herself to pieces right in front of me and then I saw you put your life at risk to stop her after I just got you back.” She paused for an instant, realizing how she had phrased that, but recovered quickly and continued, “I might not have a job anymore. I have a thousand things I need to say to you and time for not even one. And one of those things, I have to tell you anyway, even though we don’t have time, because if I don’t, someone else will, and I have to be the one who tells you this.”

As Maren’s statements became increasingly confusing, Icheb narrowed his eyes questioningly. Before he could ask for clarification, she was already talking again. “I know the timing is horrible,” she said, her voice starting to waver, “but you really need to know this. I told them about your implants. Risa, the lying, The Doctor … all of it.” She looked like she might cry, but managed to hold his gaze. “I’m so sorry for betraying your trust,” she whispered, eyes locked on his, “but I’m not sorry I told. I should have done it a long time ago.”

Icheb stared at her for a long moment, stunned. He was unsure of how to react to her confession. Her green eyes were moist with tears, and he was torn between embracing her and saying something he would probably regret. “Whom did you tell?” he asked, sounding steadier than he felt.

Maren took a deep breath. “The captain, the doctors. They’re the only ones I told,” she said. “And John,” she added, closing her eyes. “John was there with me in sickbay the whole time. He overheard everything.”

Icheb looked confused for a second as he wondered how John had gotten clearance to be in sickbay the entire time, but he quickly decided it was irrelevant. “Did he take it very badly?” he asked, genuinely concerned. One of the reasons they had never told John about his condition was the tactical officer’s tendency to react rashly when he was seriously upset. Their major concern at the time had been that he would go straight to Admiral Janeway, but here on the Tesseract, 40,000 light years from Command, Icheb was more worried about what his friend might have said to Maren.

Maren closed her eyes and nodded. “He was pretty upset,” she recalled. Her voice broke a little, and Icheb suspected that had been an understatement. He resisted the urge to reach out and comfort her.

“What did the captain say?” he asked.

Maren sighed and looked up at him again. “Not much, yet,” she said miserably. “I’m on medical leave indefinitely because she doesn’t know what to do with me. Between this and that thing I did with the Borg, I may lose my commission before this is over. I don’t know what she’s going to do to you.” She closed her eyes again. “I really am sorry.”

Icheb moved closer to Maren and took her by both arms, turning her to face him. “You won’t lose your commission,” he assured her. “This wasn’t your idea. I’ll do whatever I can to make sure they know that.”

Maren looked away, suddenly unable to look him in the eye. “I never should have lied for you. I should have told Starfleet a long time ago -- given them a chance to fight for you.”

Icheb kept his voice carefully level. “You and I both know Nechayev and the others would have used it as an excuse to experiment on me.” This was an argument they’d had many times. He really didn’t want to have it again right now.

“Maybe not,” Maren snapped back, once again meeting his gaze. In a softer voice, she added, “And anyway, we’re thousands of light years from Command right now. Doctor Bashir and the captain want to help you. I want to help you. Let us, please.”

Icheb stared at her for a long moment, remembering with perfect detail the day he had made a nearly identical argument to Seven of Nine. The bitter irony of the entire situation was not lost on him, but he didn’t feel like smiling. He wondered if he should tell her about the offer Malik had made.

Frustration seized him as he recalled that discussion. He didn’t appreciate being manipulated on any day, but having his most deeply felt emotions toyed with like that by a stranger – his own future being dangled like a bribe – was particularly difficult to handle. More than anything, Malik reminded him of First. As a young drone, newly severed from the hive mind and desperate to survive, Icheb had turned his back on what he had sensed to be right in the face of First’s clumsy manipulation. He was determined not to succumb to the same temptation this time.

As he looked at Maren, he longed to tell her about everything that had happened, but there simply wasn’t time for the discussion he knew would ensue. She would lose her composure, yell at him, probably cry. He was beginning to realize the emotional toll that lying for him had taken on her over the past four years.

Unable to think of a response that would not begin a protracted discussion or a fight, he instead reached out and caressed her cheek, letting his fingers linger on her soft skin for a moment before pulling his hand away. “We’re due in transporter room one in three minutes,” he reminded her. It was a shameless attempt to change the subject, but he hoped she would understand it was necessary.

She surprised him by catching his hand in hers and squeezing it briefly. “I know there isn’t time for this,” she said softly. “I meant what I said before, though,” she added. “I’m ready to talk. There are a lot of things I need to say to you.” She sighed, and let the faintest trace of a smile play at her lips before adding with false bravado, “So let’s make sure this little excursion of ours is a success, okay? No getting kidnapped or wounded or killed or any of that,” she said firmly.

Icheb smiled in return. There was still a wall of ice between them, but even this small crack was an improvement. With his eyes locked on hers, he nodded his agreement with her sentiment, then turned to lead the way out of engineering.

USS Tesseract – Transporter Room One

Maren eyed Malik B’akhti and his companion with curiosity. She stayed close to Icheb as they approached the transporter dais, partly out of a desire to be near him and partly out of fear. The last time she had been this close to a Borg drone, it had thrown her headfirst into a tritanium beam, and she had considered herself lucky -- a fractured skull was nothing compared to the horror of assimilation. But then again, she told herself, these aren’t drones. They were Borg … but independent. Free of the Collective. Like Icheb had been, before she met him. As a result, she found them fascinating.

Her knowledge of that part of Icheb’s life was limited to what he had chosen to share with her during their five years together, and the little she had managed to glean from hacking into classified files. She had known at the time that hacking into those files could cost her her commission, but it had seemed worth it. Her curiosity, as usual, had been overwhelming. She had to see for herself -- had to know what Admiral Nechayev and the others saw in him that she didn’t, had to understand why anyone would ever consider Icheb a threat or a liability … because all she had ever really seen in him was the other half of her.

She was pulled out of her thoughts by the captain’s voice. “O’Connor.” From the look on both Adele’s face and Icheb’s, it was clear this wasn’t the first time her name had been called, and Maren blushed.

“Yes, sir?” she answered, embarrassed.

“Are you ready?” Adele asked pointedly. Her tone was unusually harsh, and Maren blushed harder. She nodded.

“Yes, captain. I’m ready,” she said.

“Good,” Adele replied, maintaining her critical gaze for another moment. “You’ve met Mr. B’akhti, and this is one of his engineers, Jeytl,” she said, gesturing toward the second Resistance Borg. In marked contrast to the quick-witted, acid-tongued Malik, Jeytl appeared stiff and reticent. Unsure of what to do, Maren nodded politely toward him, a gesture which he returned. She then offered a smile, which was not returned.

Adele turned to her exec. “Icheb, you and O’Connor will be working with Mr. B’akhti and Mr. Jeytl to secure their vessel and bring it into our docking bay. I want weapons, propulsion, everything offline. I want you to ensure it’s completely safe before we bring it in. Work quickly. We’ll tractor you in when you’re ready.”

“Understood,” Icheb replied.

Adele glanced at Malik. “Just so we understand each other,” she said, “I have no intention of losing my advantage here until I’m sure you can be trusted. If that means I have to destroy your ship with nine of my officers on board, I will do it. Let’s be sure it doesn’t come to that.”

Maren remembered her training and forced herself not to react in any way to the captain’s statement. She quickly glanced around at Icheb and the seven security officers assigned to go with them to the resistance ship. Icheb, Lieutenant Commander Ryzal, and the others all stayed equally stonefaced. This was the bad part about Starfleet, thought Maren. Sometimes you were assigned to the away team that got killed. She was sure the captain was deadly serious, although she suspected she wasn’t nearly as calm and indifferent about the prospect as she sounded.

“We understand each other perfectly,” Malik replied coolly. “Try not to kill your officers, and I’ll do the same.”

The two stared each other down for a long moment as Maren watched with interest. She knew the captain was an empath, and wondered how well she could read Malik. Finally, Adele nodded.

“Very well,” she replied. “Commander,” she said, nodding toward Icheb. It was his cue to take the lead.

As the Brunali started giving orders and directing people onto the transporter pads in preparation for their transfer to the Resistance ship, Maren was once again lost in thoughts of the past. This was the kind of thing the two of them had dreamed about back at the Academy – exploring the galaxy together, discovering new technologies and new ways to bend the physical laws of the universe. Of course, while lying there looking up at the stars and planning their future together, a galactic war hadn’t been part of their shared vision. Then again, neither had a lot of other things that had happened since then. Life, they had both learned, did not often adhere to expectations. As Maren stepped onto the dais and waited to be transformed into pure energy along with ten other people, she offered up a heartfelt prayer that this mission would be an exception. The last thing anyone needed was another unpleasant surprise.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  11. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The liberal use of commas aside, I really enjoyed this chapter.

Maren and Icheb together again. It's about time. And it's a good thing that she came clean with him about what she has done and said in his absence. Iceb is taking it well so far, even while the repercussions of the truth are not quite clear. That there will be repercussions, for both of them, is obvious.

For now Maren needs to get her head on straight. She seems awfully distracted and could become a liability on a mission that can't afford any mistakes.

12. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The ‘drone’ is Starfleet
    That's something all of them could do with remembering. From Malik, to Icheb himself and to the Admirals such as Nechayev. The reaction to the past from both Maren and Icheb in regards the attitude of some Admirals is very telling. It speaks of a time when Icheb as it can be easily imagined was not so welcomed among the ranks of Starfleet.
    A lot in this chapter to take heed of. Firstly, beaming over to the Resistance Borg ship is going to anything but uneventful. I can feel it in my waters. Malik's attitude to it is less than co-operative and like Adele [wisely] I wouldn't be so keen to trust him. The Captain and Malik have a very strained relationship. Considering Malik is the one normally in charge and the one who escaped the control of the Borg Collective, it is easy to tell that he does not take being dictated to or having terms dictated to him very well. How far will he be willing to co-operate. And even with the brains of Icheb and Maren at hand one wonders at the trickery the former drones could pull, especially once their ship is onboard.
    As for Icheb and Maren. The see-saw relationship continues into Book 2, but it seems that the two of them or making some sort of progress and share some connection still, whihc both are beginning to realise even as they are tested by circumstances and one another in their relationship - whatever it is. But it seems they are able to work together. And they will need to be able to do so as things continue. There can but only be trouble ahead.
    Oh and I just loved Maren's rant. It seems she really has a lot to say and affording herself the chance to tell Icheb just one thing she lets loose with her tongue and lets as much information spill out. That was fun to watch. And it shows how much has indeed been going on. And that despite some secrets at long last revealed, there are some, like whatever the resistance Borg have as their weapon and like Icheb's offer from Malik, that are yet to be laid out on the table. How these secrets play out will continue to intrigue and thicken the plot.

13. kes7

CeJay -- But I LIKE commas! :lol: (Just for you, I went back and took a couple out, though. You're right, not every sentence has to be a compound one.)

Seriously, though, I'm so glad you enjoyed the chapter. Icheb and Maren are still light years from getting things back to the way they used to be between them, but then again, so much has happened that things may never really be the same. That's growing up for you. But yeah, it's definitely nice to see Icheb touch her and not get slapped, and to see her hold his hand instead of trying to run away.

You're right about Maren -- she's extremely distracted. We'll see what happens with that. Thanks for the review!

Miranda Fave -- Thanks so much for the review! You're right, Adele and Malik are not instant buddies. Adele is still pissed off about the "you kidnapped my first officer" incident, and Malik does not like trusting or giving control to anyone else. Besides all that, these two are a just match made in hell, personality-wise. If nothing else, maybe Adele will appreciate Icheb more now that she's getting to know some other ex-drones. :lol:

As far as Icheb goes, yeah, he had a rough start with Starfleet for sure. Good thing he's stubborn, plus he had Janeway and the rest of the VOY crew (and later Maren ... and John, in his own way :evil:) advocating for him and encouraging him. A less stubborn person might not have stuck with it.

I have no idea why you think things will be anything but smooth on the resistance ship. :angel: As for Icheb and Maren and their relationship ... see-saw is one way to describe it. I think I'd compare it to a yo-yo. Rather than a straight back-and-forth movement, it's sort of two steps forward, one step back, like what happens when someone isn't very good with a yo-yo (that'd be me). And with that, I'm off to find coffee, because clearly my metaphors start to suffer with lack of caffeine.

Thanks again for reading and reviewing!

14. KimMH

I too have unconventional ideas about commas. That is to say, I have no real idea about when/where/how/why to use them. I just do. ;)

I am a little worried O'Connor is not quite up to what is in store for her. I know Starfleet is made of sterner stuff than we ususally see but things are getting soooo interesting!

And Beckely. What mischief is he causing? He is in the back of my mind like that iron/stove/coffee maker you forgot to turn off before you left the house. I do hope he will complicate things horribly!

Another wonderful chapter! Thank you!

15. kes7

oldstredshrtevr -- Thanks so much for reading and commenting! Beckley's still around, doing his Beckley thing. We'll see him fairly soon, actually. We'll also see if Maren can pull herself together for the mission she's on. She's sort of at the end of her rope right now ... she's had moments in her past when she's proved to be very, very good in a crisis, but after the events of the last three days, she's just a mess. She definitely needs to get her head in the game again.

16. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some wonderful character moments between Maren and Icheb. As usual, more went unsaid between them than was voiced, though both of them are clearly psychologically bruised and aching after recent events. The person each of them wants most in all the universe is right next to them, but they may as well be on opposite sides of the galaxy so large is the emotional gulf between them.

The intensity of that final exchange between Adele and Malik was formidable, and it’s clear the captain has mustered her best game face for the confrontation. Here’s hoping Malik & Company don’t put Adele’s resolve to the test...

Keep it coming, daddy needs his candy! :scream:

17. tau136

Oh that interchange between Icheb & Maren; a primer in what not to do — just like two ships sailing by and flashing code lights at each other; but they’re working from different code books. Maren might be the genius young engineer but right now she seems more like a computer with an antivirus system that’s only half a step ahead of a morphing virus » she unloads a secret that’s been crippling her for years but gains a fear of Borg that she’s never had before; its hot to cold and back again, ad infinitum it seems. Mayhap, Adele and Maren herself have downplayed the extent of her injuries and emotional state overly much as the needs of the mission loom large in front of them; is she going to be sacrificed on the altar of concern for the missing ships? The only good to come of Maren’s vulnerability is to begin to draw Icheb back but it can’t be good at all once they move from emotion to needing effectiveness. Icheb certainly has food for thought when he is put in virtually the same position he had 7of 9 in on Voyager; and it is so neat how well canon backstory is dovetailing into this chapter.

As if . . . :evil:

18. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Now that I've finally caught up (stumbled across the first thread a few days ago and have been voraciously reading it ever since)... I can ask a question that's been bugging me since then and which I don't recall anybody else asking:

T'Pring. Is she any relation to the infamous T'Pring of Amok Time? Surely she couldn't be that same person...

19. kes7

Wow, go offline for the weekend and come back to reviews! Gotta love that! Thanks, everyone! :)

Gibraltar -- This:
    is so true it damned near made me sniffly. (What can I say? I've been writing these two for over a year now! I can't help but feel for them even though I'm the one torturing them -- and oh yeah, of course, they're not real, either :lol:, but you know as well as I do that they feel that way after a while! I remember you saying writing a certain scene with Liana in particular really hit you hard. :() Anyway, they're definitely leaving a lot unsaid for now, and time will tell whether they'll ever be able to discuss the past, let alone the present or a possible future. As for Adele, yes, she's got her game face on. We'll see how it goes ... thanks again for reading and reviewing. I'll try to have more "candy" for you soon, "Daddy." :evil:

tau136 -- Thanks for another thoughtful review! I think you may be surprised by how much was actually communicated in that little exchange between Icheb and Maren. The fact that he touched her like that and she didn't run away or try to slap him this time is significant. They may not know quite what to do with one another right now, but they're making some kind of progress. We'll see if it continues -- both of them still have secrets to tell each other that may not be handled well. But the biggest one is out in the open, so we'll see how that goes. Speaking of Icheb's little situation, I'm glad you like the connection to the backstory. I thought the ending of Imperfection was over the line even for Voyager in terms of technobabble reset buttons, so I went ahead and broke the reset button. That'll be something of a theme ... actions have consequences, even if it takes them years to happen.

timewalker
    -- Welcome, new reader! :D Glad to have you along; thanks so much for reading and reviewing! To answer your question -- I don't know. When I named her, I honestly forgot about the original T'Pring (having not seen Amok Time since I was a little kid), and actually failed to even Google the name (a mistake I stopped making early on, but not early enough!). So really, the name is a coincidence. That said, there's nothing in canon to indicate she couldn't be a distant descendant of the 'original' T'Pring. So ... I guess I could leave it to you all to tell me what you think ... T'Pring -- descended from infamy, or just rather unfortunately named? :vulcan: (It won't affect anything but backstory for this book, but it could affect a future story. Any thoughts?)

Anyway, thanks to all for the great commentary. Sorry for the slowness on these early chapters, but life has put me through some big stuff recently and I'm just now getting back into a normal routine again. More story soon, though. :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  20. CaptainSarine

CaptainSarine Commander Red Shirt

Why do I get the feeling that Maren's last thought does NOT bode well for the next chapter... :devil:

Another excellent chapter. As usual I am jealous of your character building skills (I think only Gibraltar is on par with creating awesome characters through scenes like these!) The confrontation between Adele and Malik had sparks flying all over the place, and it is nice to be reminded once again why Adele is captain - she can be a hardass when she needs to be as she shows in this chapter.

The following scene between Icheb and Maren... I really feel for these two. As you said in one of your comments, there has been definite progress since the beginning of the story, a testament to how well you have written their arcs. They have both been through a lot, together and apart, it is nice to see that they are finally ready to talk.

Of course whether you will give them that time in the middle of a galactic war... :devil:

As usual, a fantastic chapter. So glad to see this back. And can't wait for more!!! :drool: