DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm on the fence about I, Vampire, but I think Justice League Dark has been great so far. I don't mind a slow introduction (presumably written partially for the trade) and am more than happy to support the title by buying the digitals. Does anyone else thing the Enchantress looks like a bit of Bolland art thrust into the title's otherwise-different style? It's really effective as a way of suggesting how she's unnatural and off-kilter.

2. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

This, combined with your signature... :guffaw:

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I didn't read it ($3 is almost a pack of cigarettes, and I've literally got a thousand comics I haven't yet read), so I can't really give my own personal take, but what it seemed to be--and from review pages did appear to be the case--was that the fucking at the end was just the icing on an objectification cake, and worse than that seemed to mirror earlier scenes where Kyle used sex as a weapon, or more technically a physical and psychological shield against someone she had previously known, and who had engaged in sexualized violence against other women she knew, if not her specifically.

Now, I can see how this could bother people. Sometimes women, when threatened, will try to seduce/fuck their way out of a situation. This is a valid thing to depict, since it happens in real life, like, literally all the time. Especially if the character's backstory is that of a street prostitute whose income and career were controlled by violent and domineering men. And you could even have the ending as is if the tone of the book was different. So what's unpleasant about it is that it doesn't really seem to be aware of any of it, or is aware and doesn't care, and tries to have its cheesecake and eat it too. I think for some people it's very difficult to square the constant set-of-ass-and-tits framing of the protagonist with a serious-minded I Spit On Your Grave-lite revenge trip, and a Tijuana Bible stapled to the end of the book only raises further questions about motivation and psychology, which Judd Winnick is neither interested in nor, one fears, capable of answering. Like, does the meagre validation of anonymous sex make you feel better after a straight-up murder? I suppose it's possible. Next time I kill a guy I'll have to try it.

Tl;dr version: Winnick brings up Serious Business, and him and March treat it with all the dignity of an Austin Powers movie.

Like I said, though, this is a synthesis of others' opinions, not my own close read of the issue (but I've seen enough to know these opinions are supported). But if that was a genuine confusion, maybe I helped? Maybe not.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Derishton

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Derishton

10. Admiral_Young

Most of Rich's articles are like that. I don't think he really cares about proper structure or grammar or any of those things. He just gets the story out.

Gen 13 would be cool. I still don't think the "Red" has been named in "Superboy" or "Teen Titans" yet. Lobdell just needs to come out and call her Dr. Fairchild.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The story doesn't get out very well when you can't decipher the article.

12. Admiral_Young

Yeah I got that Trekker. I was merely offering speculation as to why they're indecipherable...

13. Hound of UIster

Untreated ADD?

14. Admiral_Young

^ Perhaps. Or maybe it's just his DC related articles given his um...reported attitude towards DC.

15. Hound of UIster

What attitudes?

16. Admiral_Young

Someone pointed out in the previous thread we had when he broke the story in the first place that he did so because he didn't sign any waivers like the other sites did and because he doesn't like DC. If you read most of his articles compared to his Marvel ones, there is a telling difference.

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It makes no difference to the number of hits he gets - if it did, then he'd care, it doesn't so he doesn't.

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It goes a bit further than that - most of the other major sites are basically into churnalism, they don't print much that will upset DC or Marvel - if they do, then access to exclusives and creators is cut off. That's why there is so much soft-soap and toeing the corporate line.

A lot of the sites were very pissed off with Bleeding Cool around the time of the Nu52 because they had articles lined up but they had agreed not to publish them until DC approved it - then Johnson leaks it all and they are left playing catch-up.

As for "He prefers X over Y" - I notice that people who are fans of one company (A odd concept in itself) over the other always complain that he's is biased but he seems to shit on both sides equally from what I can tell.

19. Admiral_Young

Interesting. I didn't follow Bleeding Cool at all or even really know about it until the New 52 story broke so all of this was new to me. Now it has become one of my daily go to sites.

Here's a preview of Detective Comics #3...Rao I'm so glad that I dropped this book. Ugh.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=10272

20. Hound of UIster

Tony Daniel really needs to get a Marvel exclusive and go ruin some Marvel books perhaps Red Hulk or Spider-Man.