Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Ro_Laren, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

In the fifth season Children of Time, the Defiant gets stuck in orbit around a planet called Gaia in the Gamma Quadrant. When the crew beams down to meet the planet’s inhabitants below, they meet their own descendants. Their descendants say that when the Defiant tries to leave orbit, it will meet a temporal anomaly and be sent 200 years into the past when they will settle down on the planet.

[​IMG]

When we meet the descendant with the Dax host, named Yedrin Dax, he tells Jadzia Dax that her and Worf will get married a couple years after the crash. However, when we see the Klingons on the planet, they do not appear to have any spots. And, when we see the Trills on the planet, they do not have any ridges. You could say in theory that the distinctive Trill and Klingon markings are being “breed out” because there are more Humans than any other race amongst the Defiant crew. You can see that even the Klingons do not have prominent ridges (if any at all) and the Trill do not have as many spots as Jadzia Dax.

[​IMG]

What is your theory? Did we just see a bad sampling on the show (i.e. there are lots of people with spots and ridges on the planet, but we didn’t see them on screen)? Did Worf and Jadzia divorce and then have kids with humans? Is it a weird genetic anomaly? Were the ridges and spots “breed out” of Worf and Jadzia’s descendants?

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doctor Bashir probably came out with some mumbo jumbo about them needing to have babies with different mates to create a larger gene pool. Valid point, but you know he just wanted to get into Dax's pants.

Nyotarules likes this.
  3. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

The Spots could have been a recessive trait, like blue eyes.

4. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

^ & you think the ridges are too? Look at the ridge-less Yedrin.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Trills and Klingons can't have children without genetic manipulation which would not have been available on the planet.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The original question is answered in the episode. It's not as though the Dax/Worf descendants could breed amongst themselves, they had to mix with other species.

Dax "I like your spots."
    Lisa "Most people don't have them because our ancestors were mostly human. My mom says they make me special."
    Molly "It's just genetics, Lisa. Like Torvin's ridges."

7. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

This.

With resources at the station, Bashir could help Jadzia & Worf have children (see 'Tears of the Prophets'), but not on the planet.

And we know that Klingons can breed with humans (see TNG 'The Emissary' and Star Trek: Voyager). Klingons and Klingon/human hybrids can even continue to have children (see TNG 'Reunion').

So, obviously, Jadzia & Worf had an open marriage. They loved each other but had sex with human members of the crew to keep the colony goin'.

8. R. Star

Try as I might, I just can't picture Worf going for that. :p

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Try harder, then, since he obviously did, or else there wouldn't have been any descenents with ridges or spots, but not both ridges and spots.

:klingon:

10. Dover

Dover Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Jadzia would have to breed with someone in order to create more Trills for Dax to live on with. Of course the idea that someone with diluted Trill blood can support the symbiont is a little questionable, but necessary for the plot so I don't think too hard about it.

11. R. Star

Worf's the guy who got insanely jealous when Ezri had dinner with Captain Boday. Maybe the split up after their 'beautiful wedding."

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Worf got jealous about Ezri's dinner because 1) jealousy was still an option in a large, ever changin' population aboard a space station and 2) because of his unresolved feelings over Jadzia's loss.

In 'Children of Time', there wouldn't have been an untimely death for Jadzia, she & Worf could have lived together quite awhile, and even if they boinked other people (which they totally did for the sake of the colony's gene pool), they would still be together as a couple and could have non-procreative sex.

13. R. Star

I get that. I just don't see Mister Klingon honor, our souls and bodies are joined and our hearts beat for each other and each other alone going along with it no matter the circumstances. Worf's not exactly flexible and adaptable.

14. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I'd say he's adaptable. First Klingon in Starfleet sounds adaptable to me. Also he, like all Klingons talks the talk but is a pragmatist at heart.

15. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Under normal "home" circumstances, yes, Worf would be strict about fidelity. But in this situation where they're basically isolated from the rest of human existence, it would get to the point where he wouldn't have a choice - he'd have to "spread the wealth".

16. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

this was a good episode... I felt terribly sad when everyone got retroactively erased...

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the spoilers. Fuh!

18. Deckerd

spoilers?

19. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

First quote.

20. Deckerd

Ummm ... when did this episode air?