RUSH: Clockwork Angels

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by 1001001, Apr 11, 2012.

1. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I noticed that right away.

I am loving this album. I haven't taken it out of my CD player since I got it.

Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, and Carnies deliver a solid 1-2-3 punch to the kidneys.

:techman:

2. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Headlong Flight is massive.

3. 1001001

The music is epic.

I think this one ranks just a little lower for me, because of the lyrics. Not quite Neil's best, IMHO.

4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

And given today's date, there is but one post to make:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW72Gmqjse4[/yt]

5. 1001001

Nice.

That's a cool fan-made video. I like it.

Still two months until the tour starts. Can't wait.

:beer:

6. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still holding out hope for a spring leg that visits Albuquerque. Not much in the travel budget right now, I'm afraid.

I'm liking this CD a lot more than I did Snakes and Arrows.. The music seems more accessible to me than the past few efforts..

I've made a fairly startling revelation in the last week or so... I miss 80's/early 90's era Rush more than I thought I did..

I know they took it on the chin from older fans who thought Alex's guitars had really taken a back seat to the synth, and they were correct... But I felt that with Roll the Bones and Presto, there had been created a better balance..

Counterparts and Test for Echo were good, but just kind of middle of the road for me... And while I was ga-ga for Vapor Trails, I know now, it's just because it had been so long since TFE, that I was desperate for anything Rush related.

I find I miss the synths... I know.. BLASHPHEMER!!! Don't get me wrong, musically, Snakes and Arrows was superior in all aspects, but I found I really missed the melodies of Signals, GUP, Hold Your Fire, Power Windows and the aforementioned Presto and RtB...

With Clockwork Angels, I'm hearing more variety, not just driving, pounding guitars and bass... It's more etherial in places with nostagic nods to the past, but with a brighter sound and hopeful words.

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Presto and Bones are seminal albums for me.

8. 1001001

Not blasphemy at all, at least not to me.

I consider Permanent Waves - Hold Your Fire to be the "Golden Years". I still listen to Power Windows all the time.

After that, I think it is a mixed bag. I loved Presto, but the production is very thin. I was glad to hear Presto on the last tour. It sounded great.

Roll the Bones is probably my least favorite Rush album. Other than Dreamline and Bravado, it's mostly middle-of-the-road pop/rock.

I love Counterparts. A couple of clunkers, though (The Speed of Love? Yuck!).

Test for Echo is half-good, half not so much. I like the title track and Driven a lot. Dog Years? Double Yuck!

Then we come to Vapor Trails. A very interesting album. No solos, no keyboards, and production values as hot as the sun. And still...I love it. The songs on there are all first rate. Ceiling Unlimited is in my Rush Top Ten.

Feedback...I don't count that. :lol:

Snakes and Arrows was very good, especially the front half. Armor and Sword and The Main Monkey Business are favorties.

The new album is fantastic. I think the best since Power Windows. The instrumentation, depth, atmosphere...it's all there. Classic Rush riffs and timing changes. I can't wait to see this stuff live. Just brilliant work.

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ I consider the first four to be the true classics, yet absolutely loved the 80's era stuff, and everything else for that matter.

That's the best part about being progressive, you get to progress and not just create the same thing over & over.

My favorite "quiet" song of theirs has always been Rivendell. From their heavier stuff, By-Tor/The Necromancer & the 2112 opus.

The late 70's seriously needed that kind of hard rock.

10. 1001001

Nothing beats Natural Science and Subdivisions, IMHO.

11. marillion

^^ This, this this... And Camera Eye...

12. 1001001

That was great to finally see live on the Time Machine Tour....

13. Neroon

3 days.......

14. 1001001

Sweet. I still have two months to go.

:scream:

I have seen the setlist though.

Very interesting....

:shifty:

15. oberth127

oberth127 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Absolutely love Rush, seeing them in May next year. Super excited, never seen them live before.

16. marillion

^^ Boy, are you in for a treat.. My wife never understood my affinity for them until I took her to the Vapor Trails Tour... Words cannot describe how wide her eyes were and how "on the ground" her jaw was... Especially after the drum solo...

17. Neroon

And that set list would be....... ?

Plus, they apparently have a couple of different ones, according to the Lerxst

18. 1001001

Here they are. Let me just say Marillion, you and I will be in Heaven...

[​IMG]

I have also read that TSOR has permanently replaced Working Man, although that might change from night to night. The Synths are back!!!!!!

19. oberth127

oberth127 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm taking a friend who isn't that much of a fan, he is only interested in a few songs by them, I'm hoping he'll have a similar reaction when we go!

20. 1001001

I've dragged my poor wife to a dozen or so Rush concerts.

She would never pull out a Rush CD and listen to it, but she does enjoy the live shows. They are really something to behold.

Good luck!