Looking for something...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kathryn i am, Jul 16, 2009.

1. kathryn i am

kathryn i am Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hello TrekBBS Gamers!

I'm looking for a fun, two-player game for either PC, Mac or PS2 - vague, I know! I want to get something that Mr. kia and I can play together. Do you have any suggestions?

Love,

Your new-gamer dancing banana :D

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

what genre? sports? FPS? 3PS? RTS? driving?

y'all need to narrow it down a bit...

3. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Yeah, a bit more info would be nice lol

4. kathryn i am

Eep! Terrible question asker I am! (new gamer, please don't throw rotten fruit ;) )

um... RPG? Puzzle-ish?

I don't know what those are...

5. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Well, RPGs (especially for the PS2) are almost always single player. Two of the best games to come out for the PS2 in the last couple of years were Persona 3 FES and Persona 4. Then you have games like Final Fantasy X and Xenosaga I, II, and III. Each of which can be purchased for pretty cheap

FPS stands for First Person Shooter. Games like Halo and Doom
    3PS stands for Third Person Shooters. Stuff like Gears of War and Syphon Filter
    RTS is Real Time Strategy. Those are games like Command and Conquer, WarCraft and Star Craft

EDIT: Mulling it over in my head, if you want an RPG I think Final Fantasy X will be the place to start. Its accessible, has likable characters, graphics that still hold up pretty well due to fantastic art design, a great soundtrack and a great story. You can also get it for 5 bucks

I'll try and think of some good two player games for the system but to be honest I always felt as if the PS2 was weak in the multi-player area

6. kathryn i am

It doesn't have to be an RPG (and a quick look at the shelf tells me we own Final Fantasy X - and I think I've played around with it a bit and enjoyed it) I just would love something that we could do together :) Thanks for the suggestions so far, clint g!

7. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

I think for quick fun games, you might enjoy something arcade like. RPG has too much depth for casual interest. RTS requires developing skill and practice. FPS is possible if you like that sort of thing.

Do you want a game where you compete against your partner, or cooperate with him?

Do you want to take turns, or be playing simultaneously?

Do you want guns and ultraviolence, or flowers and bunnies?

Do you want a game that uses your mind, or uses your reflexes?

8. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Trine for PC is a charming fantasy-based puzzle platformer that offers co-operative play on the same screen, although I suspect that on top of the standard PC issue of "can I run this game?" is the issue of control inputs for multiple players.

9. kathryn i am

Either would be fine.

Is it boring if I say, "Either would be fine."? ;)

Something in between?

Mind - we both like trying to figure things out.

10. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I see this is going to be hard :p

My suggestion, go out and get a Wii. The system was designed for people like you :p

11. kathryn i am

*thwap* Is that any way to convince me to be a hard-core gamer? :p

12. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

I think a straight forward puzzle game would be best for you two. Unfortunately I don't know of any multiplayer puzzle games. Perhaps a single player game that doesn't have a time limit, so you can stop and argue together over how to proceed:

"now what do we do here... oh I know we have to do this... no no that won't work, let's do this instead... but I don't want to do that... so do it your way and lose... I'm not going to lose... oh I lost... It's all your fault we lost you should have been more convincing..."

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i'd say get a driving/racing game which features 2-player mode something like Gran Turismo or Burnout on PS2

14. Kirk's_Tights

Kirk's_Tights Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Too bad you don't want fighting or racing games. Those are the best.

For PC, you should DL Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3 but it doesn't seem to be what you are looking for. It's a beat 'em up series, one of the greatest video game series ever.

Being a gamer is awesome. If you really want to be a gamer, try a bunch of different games. Don't narrow it down to only a few genres of games. Keep an open mind and play games you wouldn't usually play. You will find that you will enjoy a lot of games you never thought you would.

A lot of people like to stay away from certain genres because of stereotypes or they just plain don't like those types of games but you really need to knock down that barrier and play as many different games as you can.

A great, fun puzzle game is the Puzzle Fighter series (the girl in my avatar is from one of the games).

15. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

16. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

:lol: I agree! :p

Get a Wii with Mariokart and Smash Brothers. Problem solved! ;)

17. kathryn i am

Steven, I expected much better advice from you :p We already have a PS2, I'm not buying a Wii :p

18. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

What about a Nintendo DS? It has some opportunities for multiplayer gaming, and a lot of the (cutesy-pie but admittedly inventive) games seem to be geared towards casual gamers of all ages, just like the Wii.

19. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jeez, do ya think y'all could be a little bit more rude to her? :rolleyes:

kia, games like Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman, and Lego Indiana Jones are all great places to start on PS2. They're not frustrating or punishing at all, can be played together with hubby, and they're can all be had pretty cheap. They have puzzles that that both of you will need to work together to solve. They're also great fun and VERY humorous..

20. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

I saw this and thought immediately, "So something where you shoot bunnies?" :evil:

But yeah, I'd really recommend getting a Wii (or if you don't want to spend much, maybe a used GameCube with some of the fun multi-player games).

Nintendo seems to specialize in the fun multiplayer games that aren't all "HARDCORE"