Why did they have neelix leave?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by dHunter333, May 20, 2009.

1. dHunter333

dHunter333 Lieutenant Red Shirt

i'm sure its been discuss before
    i'm in process of watching voyager all the way through (all trek actually, starting with tos/movies/tng/ds9/voy, currnetly in season 3 ds9 season 1 voy) as i recall neelix leaves in the last episode
    i found this stupid
    first of all if they ever made a movie (which didnt happen) he is out of it
    second of all, its not like it cost them more $ to keep him on board, i hated splitting up the crew
    i really wish they kept kes as a secondary character when seven came but oh well

i just didnt like the neelix thing the most, i know he was a delta quadrant species but he still should've stayed with the crew IMO

2. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree. Neelix should have stayed.

3. m.lp.ql.m

m.lp.ql.m Commander Red Shirt

As I understood it, Neelix's home wasn't Earth; it wouldn't really be a homecoming for him if he had stayed on Voyager. Of course, I never really understood why he decided to come on board in the first place.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

they lived in a rock and were constantly attacked by pirates., They bent over and accepted basically slavery and when the first guy with stones shows up to save them, Neelix, Neelix's stones were large enough to make these little girls gulp in awe, they made him their leader and next possibly their messiah and god as it's not just the chippie we saw who was offering herself up on a plate like sunshine gangster that... Fickle little buggers are going to attatch themselves to the next star that turns up.

The Talaxians, all 30 of them, should have come to earth.

5. Xerxes1979

Xerxes1979 Captain Captain

He met a nice Talaxian woman and was made Federation ambassador to the Delta Quadrant.

What the hell was he going to do on Earth? Janeway was made an admiral so it is not like they would be cruising around on Voyager with the same group of people.

This was the best outcome for Neelix.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  6. Fish1941

Fish1941 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree. I think that Neelix had remained aboard Voyager because he had no other place to call home. The Talaxians were spread across the quadrant. The only person he was close to was Kes. But after she left, Voyager was the only place he had left. Until they ran into that Talaxian mining colony . . . and he fell in love. I saw nothing wrong with that.

7. Cdr MacDuff

Cdr MacDuff Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was perfect. And brought closure to Neelix adventure.

And could have been an opportunity for a Voyager movie. The Voyager crew could have been called back in the delta quadrant to save Neelix and his people (and possibly a lot of other species from an intergalactic threat).

8. Frazzled

Frazzled Commander Red Shirt

Now there's a good idea for a fanfic.......

As far as I'm concerned the Jury's out. I can see why they'd leave him in the Delta Quadrant at the end of the series, as it was where he belonged, but it feels a bit weird after him being with them the whole time and sharing in their dream to get to Earth even in Bliss, and it also makes use of the Star Trek 'major useful coincidence that would never happen' thing, which I love when it suits me and hate when it doesn't ;) that halfway home from where they started they found a Talaxian colony, and it just so happened to be a few weeks before they miraculously returned to Earth...

9. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also think it was a great way to give Neelix a happy ending. He wanted a home...and he found one. What's wrong with that?

OK, so apparently several people see quite a few things wrong with that, but I don't. He was always kind of weird little duck out of water, and it was nice to see him come to his own, in more ways than one.

10. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

He found someone of his peeps to be his wife.
    Your spouce comes before your friends, that's just natural.
    Having a son to boot is just another plus.

He ended up with a better life there than he ever would on Earth.

11. Vykan12

Vykan12 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For movie possibilities, nothing beyond TOS and TNG have gone to the big screen, and with the new direction of STXI, I doubt we’ll ever get to see anything based on DS9/VOY/ENT to hit the cinemas. Though even if Voyager did, Neelix could easily re-join the crew. In fact, it could make for an interesting plot point if the writers were to handle it competently enough.

As for splitting up the crew, he left the episode before the finale, and his departure made sense based on the events of that episode, so I don’t see what you’re so upset about. I do agree about Kes, though too many people superficially dismiss 7’s amazing character simply because she was introduced as an attempt to sexify the show for ratings. Overlook the catsuit and appreciate the character beyond her mere physiology.

12. NumberOne

NumberOne Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He would have opened a restaurant :)

13. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

The Leola Root Cafe. :D

14. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Neelix should have stayed.

It was stupid to dump him with only three episodes left and the whole plot in "Homestead" was ridiculous (no, I haven't watched the episode but I know what happened).

Neelix should have stayed, then he wold have been available for further adventures in books or possible movies.

15. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Well, assuming there's ever going to be another "classic Voyager" book or movie the fact that Neelix and his clan are living in a precarious situation on that asteroid could provide some good drama.

16. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not only that, he has access to communications to the Midus Array. Any unusual Borg activity in his quaderant and he's can be a early warning system to the Federation. Neelix staying behind gives Starfleet a tactical advantage.

17. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just know I'm going to regret asking this, but I just cannot help myself:
    Lynx, you don't want anybody to die - we know that and to a certain extent I sympathize. But apparently...you don't want a character to leave the series even when the series is about to end anyway and even when the writers give the character a happy ending?

Even if, should they really want to, they could find a plausible way to bring him back into the story, as Exodus and Kimc have pointed out?

Can it be - I'm just asking; please correct me if I'm wrong - you don't want anything to change ever? You just want all the same characters having adventures...forever?

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  18. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And Alpha Quadrant would have never been the same again.

Leola Root Café would have been a massive success. I'm certain of that. :p

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can see the Klingons declaring the lelola root it's new greatest most worst dread enemy an hunting them down to to their homeworld.

Ethan said that neelix was secretly in love with janeway but would never bother her with her feelings because he wasn't good enough for her. The only time I saw this reflected in the script is when he ws telling Q to not even think about trying to get a leh over with the captain.

I found Neelix's exotic taste in alien broads to be fascinating, He'd shag anything, And what is it that he ends up with? One slightly used child bride of his own species?

He should have boffed Susperia until she called him daddy.

20. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    "Tell me, do they still sing songs of The Great Leola Root Hunt?" :rommie: