NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Trek Survivor, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I tend to gloss over stardates when reading novels or comics. Only later might I go back and check a detail, but mostly they are like wallpaper for me. Part of a scene but totally unimportant to the action.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As I often point out, when Gene Roddenberry and Herb Solow created stardates, it was with the intent of being deliberately vague about when Star Trek took place. So they were created specifically to convey a complete lack of meaningful chronological information. They're pretty much the lorem ipsum of chronology. Thus, it's best not to worry too much about them.

3. NotLKH

NotLKH Lieutenant Red Shirt

I wonder if they might try "City on the edge of forever"?
    Would Harlan Ellison have any issue with it if they significantly changed it?

As a matter of fact, since DTI was established primarily due to Kirk and the Enterprises Time travel experiences, if this alternate timeline does not have similar occurances, how would their DTI be established?

4. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was probably established in the wake of the Kelvin's destruction, or after the events of Vulcan's destruction, to stop people going back and stopping Nero.

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

If IDW hired Peter David to write it, and if Peter David asked Harlan for permission (as he did with Imzadi), then I think Harlan would say, "Okie-day." Under any other circumstances, IDW would be asking for a smiting. :)

Don't misunderstand. IDW would be in the right, but they would be inviting a nuisance upon them.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, he was mad there were rumors the movie might involve the Guardian of Forever. I doubt he would let IDW adapt his whole story.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always assumed that the stardates used in "Star Trek" was the calender dates we use now but just adapted in a different way. I kind of thought it was clever. This is from the wikipedia entry on Stardates:

Star Trek (2009 film)

According to Roberto Orci, stardates were revised again for the latest film so that the first four digits correspond to the year, while the remainder was intended to stand for the day of the year.[2][3][4] For example, stardate 2258.42 would be February 11, 2258.

Seems simple enough to me.

I've been enjoying the comics. The art especially is pretty good, and they're doing a good job of getting the likeness of the characters. That has always bothered me in the past.

8. Ranger3

Ranger3 Lieutenant

So far, I've been quite pleased with how they have been written. Even the artwork is quite colorful. I'm definitely looking forward to the new timeline's version of 'Operation: Annihilate!"

On the whole, this new comic series is quite impressive.

9. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

Looks like an original 2-part story called The Vendetta Conspiracy will follow the adaptation of Operation: Annihilate. The plot "centers on the Vulcans, some of whom are just trying to survive in the wake of their homeworld’s destruction. Others, of course, pursue what they consider the only logical response to the Romulan aggression – revenge." Sounds interesting, since that was something largely on my mind after they destroyed Vulcan in the film.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I might have to check that out. Most of what I've heard about their episode adaptations hasn't interested me, but I would be curious to see what kind of original stories they do.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I will be picking up the original stories, but the "adaptaion" of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" really didn't do anything for me.

12. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've read & liked WNMHGB4, picked up the latest one but have yet to get into it - too busy.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I got a question.

I don't buy many digital comics so I originally got the IDW app to read Trek comics on my iPad. Well the Legion of Super-Heroes third issue never showed up for purchase on the app. So I downloaded Comixology and see the third issue available there. Yet the ongoing monthly isn't listed at all. Has IDW discontinued support for their app?

14. mmtz

mmtz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

IDW is moving from iVerse-based apps to Comixology-based apps so maybe things are still in flux. All of their Star Trek titles will be published same day as print at the same $3.99 price. They've been dropping the price to $1.99 four weeks after initial release.

15. BillJ

Pisses me off that the didn't send a notification through their app alerting readers of the change. That's the whole point of having a notification system. Plus it bothers me that I'll have to keep two different comics apps on my iPad as I have quite a few issues that I bought prior to the switchover.

IDW handled this in a pretty poor fashion.

16. mmtz

mmtz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

17. BillJ

After going through and updating it seems to work. But you still have to redownload everything, which is a hassle. Thanks for the heads up though. Wish IDW had thought of letting people know through the app. :techman:

18. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I didn't know about this either until I downloaded the update and had to re-download all my comics. Fortunately it was mostly problem-free, although I did lose one purchase which was kinda annoying.

19. BillJ

Anyone know when issue #4 of the ongoing monthly is suppose to be out?

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator