World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

Oh Christ, don't be such a killjoy. Can't a Vulcan male have a good time?

2. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

Oh, they can have a good time allright :lol:. I just doubt it would produce any tangible results if you know what I mean ;).

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure. Vulcans, like any other species, can have sex at any time they want. It's only during pon farr that they *have* to.

Besides, Phlox invented the procedure anyway (for Vulcans and humans to have children), and that happened long before this film.

4. Kokomo

Kokomo Commander Red Shirt

Oh, and since I have been on a tangent lately about it... Does Spock Prime have Bendii Syndrome? (Yes, I know I am being obsessive about this :lol: )

And what exactly is Spock Prime's outcome in the movie? Where does the audience leave him?

Thanks!!!

5. STIntergalactic

STIntergalactic Captain Captain

I wouldn't worry too much, as Tuvok wasn't born on Vulcan.

6. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Indeed, he was born on Vulcanis Lunar Colony. However, where were his parents when Vulcan was destroyed?

7. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

What do you want them to do? Glue it back together. ;)

When I say this, I give the authors a lot of credit and know they are very talented people. But... how many people read those books? Compare that number to TV ratings and box office draw and you have an obvious direction in which to go.

Don't forget this was a television (and then movie) franchise. The books are a bonus.

I'm loving this thread as the spoilers are giving me more of an indication of the fresh start with a bold effort to make changes and open up new creative challenges. Where do they go from here? Any direction they so choose. As they're building a new franchise in reality, they're creating it in universe too. Drama and all that. They can go from the obvious rebuilding the Federation after losing a key world to the more extreme reunification with Romulus.

I don't see why they can't. They can continue the universe post-Nero. That universe would still need to continue somehow for Nero and Spock to be able to go back (temporal mechanics, paradoxes... good writing can explain a way, no writing can easily ignore ;)). Those reading the books will know the difference, any newbies that come along should recognise or then discover what came before - if the latter happens that could be another few DVDs sold. Everyone wins.

If you remember TMP, Kirks excuse for taking back the Enterprise was his experience in dealing with the unknown. He was older, wiser and had learned. Go back to TOS and he was still a far more experienced and seasoned officer. To expect a young acting captain and thos einexperienced officers with him to save a planet from a far, far more advanced force is absolutly ridiculous. From a dramatic point of view (and this would be speculation) losing on such a massive scale would only a) make the force seem more threatening (whats dramatic about an easy win?) and b) give the crew a huge slap in the face, give the eager newbies a reality check and force them to move on boldy.

Thats speculation... I havent seen the film. But i see too many positives here and too many possibilitis stemming from this to be upset about a change of fictional future.

Hey, Spocks mammy's got needs she needs fulfilled. If I was her, I wouldn't be waiting six years for some lovin'! :lol:

Thanks to all who have supplied the info. I can never resist spoilers (as much as I try) and they have been brilliant so far - and I'm glad you've stayed silent on the secret of Spock Prime :)

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Really? When did they say that?

And in any case, if his parents are killed before they can leave Vulcan (and give birth to him), then the result is the same. :(

9. Iano

Iano Lieutenant Red Shirt

Spock meets Spock Prime at the end of the movie. Spock wants to leave Starfleet to help rebuild the Vulcan culture, but Spock Prime talks him out of it as he himself will carry the knowledge to a new colony of Vulcans. That's the last time we see him.

10. adg

adg Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

it's not canon but I think Saavik wasn't born on Vulcan.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Perhaps not, but I would think at least one of her parents must have been.

12. Iano

I don't think its ever been officially said, but I recall one of the novels stating she was born on Romulus or something Romulan controlled.

13. Kokomo

Kokomo Commander Red Shirt

Thank you so much!!!

So... No Bendii Syndrome? Spock Prime has all his marbles? ;)

14. Mr. Laser Beam

AFAIK, Saavik's Vulcan parent was a prisoner of the Romulans and was basically raped by her Romulan parent. Kind of like Soleta in New Frontier.

15. Iano

Yeah he stays in the 23rd century. After the destruction of Vulcan young Spock mentions that he is now an endangered species and there are only 10,000 of his people left. I'm assuming the remaining Vulcans are either evacuees that made it out in time (unlikely), or they were explorers who had formed colonies. I'm pretty sure Prime Spock said he was going to help form a new colony with some of the survivors.

16. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

15 second version of Saavik's origin:

Saavik (according to her original backstory) is a half-Vulcan/half-Romulan born on a failed Romulan colony world called Hellgard. The exact circumstances of her parents' meeting has never (AFAIK) been disclosed, but many assume her Vulcan parent was a prisoner/slave to her Romulan parent.

17. Iano

Nice, I thought it had something to do with Romulans, thanks for the recap!

18. adg

adg Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The Pandora Principle by Caroline Clowes. Spock finds her there. And I think one of her parents (in fanon at least) was supposed to be Romulan.

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Exactly, where's the tension when the heroes can't do no wrong? They lost Vulcan so they're not an invincible team........yet ;)

I'm sure by the time of Voyager etc Vulcan 2.0 will be all people remember or Vulcan 2.0 will become the norm.

It's like some people losing the impact of 9/11

20. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

The real fiction as opposed to the fake fiction.