Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

A. He's fictional
    B. In this fictional universe, he's never worn them in the first place.
    Therefore, whether he would care is irrelevant. It's what the audience cares about.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly so. The changes aren't being made to please Superman. :guffaw:

Why in the fuck would he start wearing this outfit to begin with? That's always been just one of the things that stretch credulity about these comics, they keep trying to explain it in one way or another, and goofiness like the red Speedo doesn't help.

Apparently he's losing the Speedo in all the toy merchandising and so on. In this example it looks like the manufacturers just made the single change at the last minute - everything else about his costume is "traditional:"

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/02/friday-runaround-from-turf-to-trunks/

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

The Superman figure sure has a strange expression on his face!

4. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't help it. I just... love... pants!!

5. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

And that's exactly the problem. They're embarrassed by their own characters. Superman wore the trunks, X-Men wore the spandex, etc., with conviction, without bothering to explain anything, until some 15 years ago. It only became "goofy" when the creative forces behind them thought they were goofy. That's why what Donner and Raimi gave us didn't look goofy - because they had faith in the source material (pun intended).

6. Admiral Buzzkill

He just got a look at the photos on Supergirl's FB page. This is a brave new world.

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you. This is what I was getting at but was too tired to articulate it.

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well in that case Lois Lane should dress like this in the movie.

[​IMG]

They are not embarrassed of Superman. They are simply trying to keep him contemporary.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Hubba Hubba,. Check out those gams
    [​IMG]

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The fact they want to modernize the costumes and bring them into the 21st century hardly means they're "embarassed" by the characters. They just want to see them evolve with the times (as so many other characters have in both Marvel and DC).

Would you like it if the comics were still telling stories like in the 40s and 50s too? Clearly those had to change, so it only makes sense that other aspects might as well.

And in any case, I would argue what REALLY makes Superman iconic is the cape, shield, and red and blue color scheme. The freakin trunks don't even cross my mind.

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Gawd, not this old chestnut, without even getting into the fact that many popular creators including Stan Lee used pseudonyms because they were saving their names for 'proper' or 'serious' adult work, they were *always* explaining away large aspects of this stuff.

Take his secret identity, the idea that nobody could work out that Clark Kent is Superman was considered hokey decades ago. 30 years ago they were saying that superman was using super-hypnosis on a sub-conscious level to make him look different as Clark Kent. Before that, they said that he used shape-shifting powers to look slightly different (Superman was even taller than Clark Kent).

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I actually would not be opposed to a Superman movie set in the 1930s-1950s or at least having that tone and look with costuming and architecture while also being set in modern times. Heck, on some levels Superman: Returns had that going on.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'd totally be into a period piece. I think it would look great.

But this isn't a period piece so I have no problem with the updating of the suit.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

They did a revised version and revival of the musical "It's A Bird, It's A Plane...It's Superman!" a couple of years ago at the Dallas Theater Center. They set it in the 1930s. It looks wonderful, and I'd like to have seen it.

You'll notice that the shield on his costume there is true to the period, and therefore is very different from the one that people are caterwauling over and claiming is the "real eternal forever and ever" version.

Other than as grounds for harboring a resentment there's no evidence or basis for the nonsense assertion that the DC people are "embarrassed" by the characters that they put so much effort and money into bringing to life and promoting. The truth of the matter is much simpler and straightforward:

Everything changes with time and fashion. Yes, even comic book characters.

After fifty years they took away Superman's Speedo. BFD.

Embarrassed by the characters? If they read teh Intarwebs they might be embarrassed by some of their "fans."

15. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found this thing over here, thought I'd add it to the mix. I don't believe I saw it posted

[​IMG]

Personally I like the new movie suit and the way Cavill looks in it just fine.

16. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure, I wouldn't mind if Lois Lane wore flats. High heels are little more than a piece of fetish wear that the whole society's bought into. I mean, I like ballgags as much as the next guy, but I don't expect women to wear them to work.

...Am I missing the point?

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most likely yes...
    And I would have welcomed it if my old boss wore a ballgag at work :p

19. Admiral Buzzkill

So, the woman in high heels is standing next to a guy in a skin-tight costume - Spandex or armor or rubber, depending on your preferred version - with trailing red cape and she's in fetish wear? :lol:

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ He's her gimp.