DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The story apparently was from Marc Guggenheim, the then intended writer for Action Comics who never managed to write one issue before quitting.

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? Huh. Well, it was the execution anyway. "Lex Luthor seeks power" isn't precisely novel. :p

Edit: though the notion of using Luthor as the protagonist in an extended story arc sort-of is. I'll give credit where credit's due if that was Guggenheim's idea.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Byrne's not known for his tolerance of points of view he disagrees with. He'd do well in TNZ. :lol:

I always interpreted the birthing matrix as another way for Byrne to cement the "I'm Clark, not Kal-El" angle - he literally was born on Earth, despite having been conceived elsewhere.

I agree that this would be a good time to try out a younger writer who's never worked on Superman.

Here's a trivial question for anyone who read Superman #1 - what's the likely passage of time between Supes finishing off the fire monster and him visiting Lois's apartment? It looks as if Izzy's remark about "getting these proofs out before dawn" was intended to make it clear that it was within the same day - but "before dawn" suggests that they're hanging out sometime in the AM, well after midnight.

But Clark is surprised that Lois is in bed, already.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like parts of "Birthright" and parts of "Secret Origin". I think somewhere in between mixed with "Superman For All Seasons" is the idealized origin story.

I love the idea of Black Ring being the end point of the DCU...but alas we got Geoff Johns wanting to use Flash as the focal point of this whole thing.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

We're going to get a little bit of Supes' origin sometime in the first six issues, apparently. Hopefully it's different enough to be interesting again.

6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Superman's parents were killed in an alley and he was bitten by a radioactive Super-Alien... thus he fights for justice.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, Morrison has mentioned as soon as issue three. Jor-El and Lara will be appearing and we will learn about Krypton, etc. Given how Krypton was portrayed in "All Star" it should be very interesting.

8. Hound of UIster

Perhaps Grant Morrison can outdo himself and recount the entire origin in ONE PANEL instead of ONE PAGE.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Morrison has said that as Clark grew up he chafed a little bit at the restrictions put on him - he had a fantasy that wherever he fell out of the sky from, his birth parents probably didn't run a general store.

Man, that should piss Byrne off. :lol:

10. Hound of UIster

Byrne already hates Morrison's guts for Doom Patrol. It can't be any worse.

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Oddly, I hate Byrne for Doom Patrol. It burned my eyes.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I like his take on the Doom Patrol, but after Morrison's version it was going to be hard ( okay impossible) for any creator to take them back to something like they were in the 60s and have the fans accept it. ( Unless Morrison did it) But he did give us the return of Rita and Cliff, which Giffen ran with in his run.

13. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I'm generally pretty good at separating the artist from the art. John Byrne seriously makes that difficult at times. It's not even his politics. I don't know his politics. He's just a generally foul human being. I love his work. He's probably one of my favorite creators, but he tests that on a daily basis.

14. Nerys Myk

Till he really does something "foul" I'll sit back and enjoy his work.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, and there's also that ring handed to him by a strange alien who's part of an intergalactic police force.

16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

According to the last Action Comics Weekly back in the 80s, Clark was the first person called by Abin Sur's ring, but he was rejected because he wasn't native to Earth.

In that story, there were some interesting back-ups the ring selected if Hal were unsuitable. One was Dick Grayson. Another was Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

At least it didn't pick Jason Todd.

18. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope. Instead a derided eschatologist and a woman who only occasionally appears to have a job at all. :p

I wonder if Morrison will make the Kents as lame and homespun as they're usually depicted. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've always liked the characters as 1930s family farmers or smalltown businesspeople, but it's become increasingly anachronistic as time marches on. I mean, reasonably speaking, Jon and Martha are almost too young to have gone to Woodstock, let alone to have an opinion about being crucified upon a cross of gold.

That's a bizarre rule. Hal Jordan isn't native to the planet around Alpha Centauri A, either, but he's their Green Lantern anyway. Hell, if they ever did want to come up with Green Lantern from Rann, you know it'd be Adam Strange. (Though not tapping him as a Star Sapphire is a missed opportunity. Then again, maybe they did it. I don't read Green Lantern for forty-two different, individually sufficient reasons. They're called Green Lanterns #26-67.)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  19. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

No that's just it. He's not outright offensive or a bigot or anything like that. Chuck Dixon is the only comic book writer who I won't support (who I actually enjoy) for his bigoted opinions. John Byrne is just abrasive and makes his lack of respect for people who disagree with him very well known. So yeah, I have no problem supporting his work. I just stay away from his interviews and forums.

20. Nerys Myk

Well I've interacted with him on his forum(s) for over a decade. We've had discussions and disagreements on all sorts of topics. I've never felt disprespected. :shrug: