Billy Campbell almost got Riker?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Norrin Radd, May 10, 2009.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

Wow, I'm no Frakes hater or anything...quite the contrary.

But Campbell as Riker is something I would've loved seeing.

2. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know if Billy would have been able to pull off the Frakes/Riker stuffiness factor.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Given how bad he was in his single appearance, I'm glad he didn't get it. Awful acting, awful character in an awful episode.

4. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd have to rewatch the episode, but I like everything else Campbell's been in. So it would be interesting to see Riker. Still, Riker isn't Riker if he doesn't have that weird tilted shoulder posture...

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

It was a bad episode, but I thought he was the best thing about it.

Jonesy likes this.
  6. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the folks who don't like Riker would have liked Billy Campbell's Riker?

7. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I wonder if people would have called him "The Rikerteer". :p I love that movie. Way underrated. I seriously think it's one of the best comic book/superhero movies ever...right up there with "The Dark Knight", "X2: X-Men United", and "Spider-Man 2". Billy Campbell should be a bigger star just because that movie was so cool and he was great in it.

8. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering if I, who as we know, adored Frakes' Riker, would have loved Campbell's Riker as much? Or was it just Jon's pretty face I fell for? :confused:

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I liked Campbell in The 4400, I don't recall seeing him in anything else. It's just that "The Outrageous Okona" was a bad episode and he did not give a good showing of himself.

That's really not saying much.

That's the thing, I like Jonathan Frakes' Riker. I like TNG's entire cast just the way it was even if Sirtis is a Tottenham fan.

10. Too Much Fun

WATCH "THE ROCKETEER". NOW. :cool: I think Campbell is great entirely based on that, but I don't think anybody would have been a better choice than Frakes. Just little things he brought to the role that no one else could have done make me believe that. For example, that really warm smile he had over things like Data acting out of character or Troi showing him affection and the way he was the only character who did "The Picard manuever" with his uniform almost as frequently as Patrick Stewart. That stuff isn't written, they're just the unique quirks the actor brings to the role and they are his and his alone that make the character more likable for them. Also, I don't think anyone could have hammed it up quite as entertainingly as Frakes did in "Frame of Mind" and no Frakes means no "Star Trek: First Contact" as it is (which some people on this forurm might prefer, but NOT ME!). :p

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Um, no.

12. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Would Campbell have grown a beard to set Riker apart from Kirk? Or would he have remained clean-shaven? Hmmm! -- RR

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

While I have always really liked Frakes as Riker but I can't help but wonder what Campbell's Riker would have been like.

Also, count me as a big fan of the Rocketeer too!

14. Too Much Fun

Suit yourself, but I say you're missing out.

15. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am so glad that Frakes got the role after reading that.

16. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am not a fan of Frakes, but I loathe that episode, particularly Campbell's role (sorry, Okona lovers!) - so much so that when I found out he had been in the running for Riker, I was actually relieved that we ended up with Frakes.

Which is a sentence I (and probably WillsBabe ;) ) never thought I would see coming from my keyboard.

17. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

Welcome to the Dark Side, Kate. :devil:

18. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ :lol:

I happened be watching that episode a week or two ago when my husband (who is a much bigger Riker hater than I am - I at least can sometimes enjoy the scenery when I'm looking at him) happened to walk through the room. I said, "I recently heard that the guy playing Okuna there was in the running to play Riker." He stopped, looked, gagged, shook his head in disgust and said, "He's worse than the one we got!"

So I guess there's two more souls on the Dark Side. Sort of.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  19. Thor Odinson

Thor Odinson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No thanks.

I much prefer Frakes in the role of Riker.

20. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

for a better idea of Campbell's TV work try and find Crime Story on DVD. it only lasted two seasons, but its a very good hard edged crime series set in the early 60s Chicago and Vegas.