Spoiler? who here has read the good that men do?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by KimMH, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

According to this review here, the worst novel ever written.

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm reading the book now, a little over half way through and I'll admit its not great and very clunky reading but I wouldn't call it the worst book I've ever read, believe me I've read far worse.

3. Penguin

Penguin Commander Red Shirt

Review. to each his own.

I liked the book but then I am not a sophisticated reviewer. I am a simple clod you enjoyes a good read.

Believe me I have rad some real junk in my day.

One of the worst, if not the worst had aline like this.

"She was thirlled to see her man in real two fisted he-man action."

It went down hill from there.

The reviewer doesn't like the book, fine. Jost don't knock it for people who might like it if they read it. His review could prvent somone from having a nice reading experience.

4. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Despite the fact that you seem to be fascinated enough by my review to bring it up in two threads now, you obviously haven't really read it:

Show me where I said it was the worst novel ever written or the worst I've ever read. :vulcan:

5. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I was purposely exaggerating. And yes, I've read your review and found it biased. And I gave the link to your review, so there really was no point for me to make things up about it, was there?

6. Defcon

I already answered to your opinion that it's biased in the TrekLit thread:

ETA: And since this thread is about The Good that Men do, here's a link to my review of that one.

7. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I never even tried to be objective, and I don't consider Kobayashi Maru to be above mediocre (TGTMD is IMO much better), but I think your review was over the top, and the grade you gave it is the example of that.

Wouldn't 10% be an equivalent of 1/10? Just for comparison, the lowest rating that any movie on IMBb holds is 1.3/10.

8. Defcon

So what? I'm not active on IMDB, but I will just assume it is an average rating of many votes, so a movie with a 1,3 most likely has gotten some 1s oder 0s (whatever the lowest possible rating is ), 10 % isn't the lowest rating I can give (or have given for that matter).

9. trj

trj Lieutenant Red Shirt

kobayashi maru is pretty good,makes me look forward to the romulan war books that are coming up.

10. Penguin

I like Maru too. Actually better than "the good that Men Do."

Of course that is because I am a big fan of Trip and T-Pol and frankly do not like Archer.

IMO for what it is worth.

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'll take the bad reviews for "Maru" with a grain of salt until I read it myself. Just to be fair. It can't possibly be worse than "TATV."

12. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I think that kinda goes without saying. :bolian:

13. Defcon

As you should. Like I said above reviews are nothing more than the opinion of one person.

That's why I didn't gave the novel the worst possible rating. ;)

14. cooleddie74

Any news on whether there'll be a third novel in this series? Or does "Maru" sort of wrap up the whole Trip/Romulan War thing with a neat little bow?

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Book 3 "The Romulan War" comes out later this year.

16. cooleddie74

SWEEEEEET.

:cool:

I'm glad Paramount is keeping ENT alive in book format, if nothing else.

17. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

From Trekmovie.com

Enterprise Trade Paperback kicks off Romulan War
    Originally planned as two book series, "Enterprise: The Romulan War,"by Michael A. Martin will be now be released as a trade paperback in October 2009. Following immediately after the events of this year’s "Enterprise: Kobayashi Maru," this new book starts off (but does not complete) the famed Romulan War, told through the eyes of Captain Archer and the NX-01 crew.

18. Penguin

Read somewhere that there may be three (3) books in the Romulan War Arc.

Don't know anything more than that and not sure if it is true or not

19. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of things that really made me like this book initially was the decision to reverse "TATV", which I thought was terrible. I also like how they framed it around Jake and Nog.

But with time to reflect I think it was a bit too much convoluted a plot to bring Trip back. I mean, is he truly the only person that can do this job? Also, why did they have to fake his death? He could've just made up another escape, a deep space mission or posting or something that would explain his absence from the NX-01.

Overall, I thought the book was well written and the characterizations were done fairly well. I enjoyed this book a lot more than Kobayashi Maru, which really strained credulity, where Trip was concerned.

So, I don't think the book was a bad read if you hated TATV and were a big Trip fan. However, it was a totally unnecessary fanwank. The same events leading up to the Romulan war could've been told almost as easily inserting another character besides Trip IMO.

20. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Hmm, but would it really be an "ENTERPRISE" story without Trip in it?

After all, he was, to my understanding, by far the most popular character on the show.