‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I seriously doubt that this Batman/Superman movie is going to have any ties to Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. I think the fact that Nolan, who spearheaded and produced Man of Steel, backed away from any involvement in this movie should be indication enough that this Batman/Superman movie will have its own continuity and present a brand-new Batman that doesn't have any ties or connections to Nolan's trilogy.

2. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Huh? Compared to TDK trilogy, MoS was childish and silly as fuck. :wtf:

3. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

But not on purpose, surely? I got the impression that it took itself [way too] very seriously.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

For a Superman movie, perhaps. Compared to Nolan's Batman... That's an entirely different story. TDK doesn't even feel like a comic book movie most of the time. It's basically a character driven crime drama with thrilling action sequences.

5. JacksonArcher

Man of Steel suffered mostly from mediocre writing. Which is why I am glad Goyer is gone and Chris Terrio has replaced him for Batman/Superman.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except the writing process in Hollywood is such a convoluted mess that the credited screenwriter may have contributed very little to the actual finished film. Essentially feature film writers are generally treated as contractors hired to tell the stories the directors instruct them to tell, and final scripts are often stitched together from numerous drafts by mostly uncredited writers. So if anything, as long as the sequel has the same director, I don't expect the storytelling to improve much.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Goyer's work seems to suggest he's a great idea man. But like George Lucas, he needs a system of checks and balances so that the result isn't Blade: Trinity.

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

There's no set idea about how superhero movies should be. Times change and so do interpretations of what superhero movies are.

9. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

You're right, and the superhero subgenre was never strictly defined (movies like "Unbreakable" were certainly "out of the box") but just look at all the superhero movies that came after TDK. None of them came even close to being as grounded, as serious, and as mature as it. Not even its own sequel, TDKR. Shit, especially not TDKR.

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. I love all three films even though I have pacing issues with them.

I have often thought that Batman would be great on television as a serious, crime-detective series--a less formulaic CSI style show. Even with the villains, it could easily be done effectively on a television budget.

I enjoy Arrow, but it is still not the Batman series I`ve always wanted.

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul3T3VuoJgQ#t=180[/yt]

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

13. JacksonArcher

I kinda hope Holly Hunter is playing Leslie Thompkins, although she's a bit young for the role.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

As long as she's not playing "crazy, grey-haired lady". Seems to be her favorite role as of late.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman vs Thor, that would be pretty cool. Can't they just do that in their spare time with a little fundraiser, like all the Trek actors get together to do their Trek fan films?

But Harrison Ford's answer is the best one.

16. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bat In The Sun did a Super Power Beat Down, Superman vs Thor. They do amazing stuff with practically no budget. Imagine what could be done with big money.

17. Captaindemotion

18. Christopher

Sounds more like fan speculation than anything solid.

19. Captaindemotion

^Probably. But Latino Review is usually good on these things and has a track record on DC films in particular, as I recall.

20. Christopher

Wait a minute, though. Leslie Thompkins is the woman who found Bruce after his parents were killed and, in some versions, became a surrogate mother of sorts to him. She's supposed to be a generation or two older than Bruce. But Holly Hunter is only 15 years older than Ben Affleck. Is she going to appear in flashbacks? Is there going to be room for flashbacks to Bruce's childhood in a Superman/Batman crossover movie? Track record or not, this sounds questionable.