MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I've heard the "dick measuring" comment used in real life quite a few times. Hell, you can probably find it used in TNZ numerous times if you run a search.

It's a completely plausible remark for someone who was a combat field reporter embedded with troops in Afghanistan and who deals with men in the corridors of power at the Pentagon, the Capitol, the White House, and in Metropolis on a regular basis. It probably came easy to her because she's used it before, and because she was expecting to run into resistance from the guys in command at the dig site.

2. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Really? I thought it was fucking terrible. What little I noticed, anyway.

4. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Impossible to compare with the original but still an outstanding score I thought. Zimmer has been by-the-numbers in recent years but this hit the mark for me.

Personal preference & music is a very personal thing, but I honestly think this one will stand up in the future.

I came out buzzing after watching this movie (and I wouldn't say I'm a massive Superman fan) which frankly, I couldn't say about STID.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the score a lot. Better than The Dark Knight trilogy IMO.

Also. Amy Adams is my favorite Lois Lane ever after this movie.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I like the individual tracks I've heard outside the movie, but for some reason they just didn't seem to pop for me during the movie.

7. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Make because the sound is so LOUD especially the base.

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the soundtrack though it pales compared to The Dark Knight Trilogy music. The loudness went well with the big epic scope of the picture, this is Superman after all. Complaints like its too loud make me chuckle because all I can think of is...old people :rolleyes:

:p

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They could have sex differently without touching using technology or chemicals, like in Demolition man, which was a response to all the escalating sex plagues. Besides, remember Fortress? (of course not.) It must have been a massive crime to procreate, and there would have been sex police to make sure that only neutered people did it, or that no one did it.

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I think Guy just discovered the real propose of the crystals.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The score easily could have been replaced by a white-noise machine. It wasn't nearly present or "there" enough. Maybe it didn't need to be as "campy" as the original Williams score from the Donner movie but, cripes, it should have been SOMETHING. Compare it to the main cast/Avengers theme in the Avengers movie. A score that resonated I can hear as I sit here thinking of the movie when the title card came up. Something we didn't even get the benefit of in this movie.

The score isn't this movie was really "terrible" but it was hardly great either.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I absolutely love the new Superman theme and the quieter Clark theme. The rest of the music may not have been quite as memorable, but I still thought worked fine within the context of the movie.

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course it is. I just found it to be an eye-rollingly predictable line.

14. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

It wasn't a "score" in the traditional sense (like, say, Williams or even Zimmer's POTC work). To my admittedly untrained ear it was more like a moody, new age soundscape - background noise and the occasional melodic theme to highlight the more emotional parts. I didn't particularly care for MoS as a score bit since I happen to enjoy moody, new age soundscapes, it will make for some good background, muzak-type listening while I'm writing.

On the plus side, its relative lack of thematic elements meant that the few times the main themes pop up (especially with the piano), they are more prominent and noteworthy.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 70's theme is still thumping about in my head.

I could barely hear the actors acting.

16. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

There was no score! There was just a bow scraping up and down on a cello over and over again for two fucking hours. Hans Zimmer could have had an asthma attack with a kazoo in his mouth and come up with music more compelling and imaginative.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I thought the MOS score was pretty forgettable.

Which reminds me, I will be rewatching the Reeve Superman movies over the new few days. Planning to drink in the awesomeness of the John Williams soundtrack and everything else that was great in the first two movies, and mock the last two.

Actually, I remember Superman III as decent outside all the Richard Pryor scenes. Loved the Superman/Clark fight and Annette O'Toole as Lana Lang.

Superman IV was the bad one.

18. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Clark Kent in Smallville and the stuff with Lana Lang makes Superman III still watchable.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I know I'm probably alone in this, but I don't really mind the Richard Pryor scenes in that movie either. He actually has some pretty funny lines and reactions in there, I think.

It's only when it gets to the cheesy Atari videogame sequence and evil supercomputer that the movie becomes COMPLETELY unwatchable for me.

20. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

If Jor-El's parents were anything like Jor-El, it's possible that they surreptitiously tampered with his genetic code to give him some natural fighting talent and helped him learn to fight. Given his rebellious nature, it's not difficult to foresee a possibility that he might need to defend himself.

Wasn't it basketball? I thought I remembered a mention of "courtside seats."