MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be willing to give it a go as an isolated piece. Is it on yt?

Btw, I forgot to add, I believe I did hear a single homage to the JW classic - the very first note of the film. :lol:

I got the message the moment it pulled to a stop in the lot, I even shouted out "It's Mr. Wonderful!"

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I was actually expecting the music to be good based on the one track I heard but I was left disappointed with the music as it was used in the movie.

3. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I am not sure why but I thought the percussion worked really well and I liked the new theme that you hear in "What are you going to do when you're not saving the world"

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Impossible, the ship was 1000s of years old.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

When was the pod opened?

6. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I rated the movie A-, but when I see moronic twaddle like this I get the urge to rate it F, just to twit the fanboys.

I pretend I'm General Zod. I am furious at Kal-El and want to kill him. So he doesn't just run away and for the fun of pissing him off too, I threaten to kill humans. We fight. Somehow this renegade civilian gets me down in a chokehold. As a military man, I know he could quickly break my neck. I'm using my heat vision to threaten the lives of some, straining desperately to turn my neck just far enough to vaporize them. (I don't know why I can't turn my eyes, but this is probably more than compensated by the fact I apparently do not need to breathe on Earth.)

What do I do? I'm a grade a prick, so I turn off the fireworks and untense my neck and pretend to be beaten, just to treacherously turn on my opponent again, at the first convenient moment.

No, wait, that doesn't fit what's on screen at all. I'd have to be a simpleton to believe that Zod is really trying to kill Superman and run amok at this point.

I have it! I'm General Zod and I've been beaten and my way isn't happening. That renegade civilian has me down in a chokehold. But if I keep threatening to kill the people he wants to save, he'll have no choice but to put me out of my misery.

In other words, suicide by cop, except for the trivial detail that Superman isn't literally a cop.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

8. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I definitely got the impression Zod was doing that so Superman would kill him. Either he'd given up (unlikely) or wanted to teach Superman some lesson.

I enjoyed the movie, but the destruction at the end was so awesome so as to be almost cartoony. How many city blocks were flattened? How many skyscrapers collapsed? There had to be thousands upon thousands of deaths. That was a little much.

9. Trekker4747

Doesn't matter Supergirl, Kal-El's older cousin, is his contemporary.

10. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I don't think it's even meant to be ambiguous. Superman is screaming for him to stop and Zod outright says that he never will stop trying to kill, pretty much forcing Superman to stop him.

11. CorporalCaptain

Not sure what your point is. The pods are capable of suspended animation, yes?

12. Trekker4747

Yes, but Kara is Clark's older cousin. She was born a couple decades before him. Not millenia. The Kryptonian ship was buried under the ice for centuries, if Kara was on that ship she's not Clark's older cousin she's a very, very distant ancestor.

13. CorporalCaptain

I'm still confused.

Why can't Kara be born on Krypton the appropriate number of years before Kal-El is born?

And, here's the big one, can't Kara be reimagined for the MoS film franchise?

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Kara, as we know her, can't have been born on Krypton AND have been the person in the pod because Kara and Clark aren't that far apart in age. Didn't they say the pod was something like 18,000 years old?

So yes, they could always re-imagine the character into being an ancient Kryptonian, but then she wouldn't be Clark's cousin (not a close cousin, anyway).

15. CorporalCaptain

When everyone's supposed to be born off the Codex, what's a cousin?

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I dunno. A baby that comes off of the branch next to your branch?

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

A company that are disaster experts estimated "129,000 people would be confirmed killed, nearly a million would be injured, and over a quarter of a million would still be missing." and $700bn worth of damage.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I agree that destruction was over-the-top. Poor Metropolis.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly so. There can be a Kara/Supergirl, but there can't be a "Superman's cousin" in the same sense that she exists in the comics. Assuming that Zor-El and Alura existed, they didn't have a natural daughter.

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a "Man of Steel" prequel comic that focuses on Kara.

[​IMG]

Also in the movie there's a scene that lingers for awhile on a escape pod