The Martok Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Ryva Brall, May 8, 2013.

1. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

How did I miss this thread? I absolutely LOVE Martok!

Agreed! Martok was a better "partner" for Worf than Jadzia when it came to character development. And as much as I love Worf's character Michael Dorn is not a strong actor but he plays well against Hertzler. I love dynamic between the Textbook Klingon vs. The Real World one.

Totally agree.

I think that might be what made them work, because they are opposites. Opposites often make the most balanced couples, they bring each other to the middle.

2. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Martok is the best Klingon ever! Hugely defined by J.G. Hertzler, who absolutely owned that role!

3. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I always thought Sisko and Ross were out of line. Not wanting to share the toast is one thing, but pouring it on the ground and turning their backs is pretty insulting to Martok.

4. LiLiKitty

LiLiKitty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

One of my favorite DS9 moments is when Martok tells the tale of the demise of his pet Targ - "filthy, mangy beast"! The writing is spot on, and Hertzler's performance is terrific.

Also, I love when Martok acknowledges Nog's courage (I forget which episode.) He proves how wise he is.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

He's my favorite as well. A working class Klingon made good.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, where I come from, if someone hands you a drink and you pour it on the ground, that is an insult. Politely refusing would've been better. I thought Martok was quite considerate not to take that personally. But he always demonstrated a knack for dealing with other races. Not kicking Nog's butt that one episode was another example.

7. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

I don't think that Klingons are that sensitive about table manners. In my opinion the point of this scene was to clearly show that while Klingons and the UFP are allies their ethics still differ tremendously. I also think that it thus showed of how people from two very different cultures could get along without political correctness. It sketched out third way between what we have today, culture wars and political correctness.

8. Yorkshire Niner

Yorkshire Niner Captain Captain

That is exactly the scene that I was thinking of. Just when you thought Martok might be getting a bit too 'human' amidst all the Dominion-squashing, he revels in the realities of war as only a Klingon could. His arguments with the Romulans at briefings were always fantastic too - so easy to wind up and antagonise! :klingon:

I also loved his relationship with Sisko. Those guys were brilliant in their scenes together, such honest dialogue. Two working class, middle-aged men who really understood each other's positions and responsibilities, as soldiers, as leaders, as fathers, as husbands. I loved them both.

Incidentally, has anyone read JG Hertzler's Martok novels. The adventure is a bit crazy in places and Martok is presented as a bit of a mythic hero sort of Klingon but they are a damn good read if you ever liked Martok and Klingons. :techman:

9. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Whaaat? I didn't know Hertzler had written novels! I officially fail as a Trek fan. :p

10. R. Star

He wrote two novels titled the Left Hand of Destiny, part 1 and 2. They were alright. While they were stereotypical in the way that Martok and Worf are about the only two honorable Klingons, it really gets weird with the villains and the means they go to. Basically the short version of the plot is some shady people from Martok's past try and overthrow him as Chancellor.

I wouldn't put it at the top of a recommended reading list, especially compared to the rest of the DS9 relaunch novels but they're alright. Hertzler does bring in a lot of plot elements for better and worse that were only briefly touched upon in the series like the Emperor, Martok's son Drax and his wife, the Negh'Var, the Hurq and other such things.

11. Yorkshire Niner

What he said. :)

If you're a Martok fan, you should read them. You'll enjoy them. There are much better 'season 8' DS9 novels though.

12. Portal

Portal Commander Red Shirt

I would like to make a toast to Martok with bloodwine.

13. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

I probably will read them eventually, but right now I'm still reading "A Stitch in Time". I'm reeeeaally drawing it out, because it's so good, and I don't want it to be over. :lol:

Plus I'm reading about a thousand other books at the same time. I hate that I do that. :p

14. NKemp3

NKemp3 Commodore Commodore

I've been saying forever that Martok is the best Klingon ever. Every moment he is on screen is pure gold. I like his addition to DS9 even more than I ddi Worf's. And I love his professional relationship with Sisko. They were such equals and the two actors had a wonderful onscreen chemistry. I would've loved seeing more Sisko-Martok scenes.

Oh, and the character was pretty cool in his previous life as well as a doomed Vulcan captain. ;)

15. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I also like Martok and he is probably my favorite Klingon next to Worf and probably equal to Kor. In fact, I liked the dynamic between him and Kor, as Kor had wronged him in his youth yet didn't remember, but Martok never forgot...and had his revenge later.

16. R. Star

In Avatar(by S.D. Perry) Bashir's shown to be reading A Stitch in Time as it's a letter from Garak. Nog makes a comment to the effect of, "You're on page 100 of a -letter-?"

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you like Martok (and I do), don't get too into the mirror universe novels.

Mirror Martok is a drunken lout who is a filthy piece of shit, just about the biggest douchebag ever. He'd make the cast of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo look like Shakespeare. I'm sure the writers did that deliberately, to contrast with the good and decent RU Martok. And I bet if JG Hertzler has read any of those books, he thanks God every day that he never had to *play* MU Martok...

18. Yorkshire Niner

I've got a signed copy of A Stitch In Time. Loved that book.

19. R. Star

Signed?! That's awesome, how'd you manage that? Oh and uh... completely unrelated, where do you live again? ;)

20. Yorkshire Niner

YORKSHIRE!!! ;)

I was working for the Ottakar's bookstore chain about 15 years ago and Andrew Robinson was doing a signing at another branch (probably London). The manager there sent out a company-wide e-mail offering any Trekkies working in any other branches the chance to have a copy of A Stitch In Time signed and personalised. Obviously I replied back using mutliple exclamation marks!! :cardie: