Firefly worth it?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sbk1234, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I would check it out online for free first, or maybe rent it if you need to. My boyfriend loves all things scifi and borrowed Firefly from a friend expecting to enjoy it after we'd heard so many great things about it. Unfortunately neither of us really liked it at all. I liked the concept of a western in space but we both felt that it was executed very poorly. The writing just wasn't that good. There were some humorous parts but overall I couldn't get into any of the characters, didn't really care about them or what happened to them. And the plots weren't all that exciting either, so we were left feeling pretty bored. I don't hate the show but I don't find it entertaining.

2. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

One of my good friends felt the same way, but just one.;)
    Whoah there lil' Missy, that's a judgement call- I can direct you to many highly respected reviewers that stress that the writing was it's greatest strength. Just like I have no love for Babylon 5, yet I can appreciate that it was, as far as I could tell, nicely penned.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I was finally getting into it around the last episode, and then it was over. I didn't really like it that much the first time around, either. I did at some point go back and re-watch it, and that's when I fell in love with it. I was familiar with the characters, so I was able to enjoy it a whole lot more. Now it's one of my favorite series.

4. Chrisisall

It had me in it's clutched during "Out Of Gas.":drool:

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Serenity isn't even close to being one of the best movies ever made, it's a really good sci-fi movie, but it's a horrible Firefly movie.

I know this is a Star Trek site, but does EVERYTHING need to be compared to it?! Star Trek and Firefly share nothing in common besides they both take place on a human space ship in the future!

6. Chrisisall

In your expert opinion?;)
    Absolutely.
    Illogical. Please explain. You are human...only humans can...PLEASE EXPLAIN!

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Not.

I don't care how deep you want to go with the philosophy behind it, it's still just cowboys in space speaking Chinese.

Wait for Syfy to do a marathon and watch it then. Save your money.

8. Chrisisall

And Star Trek is just about pointy eared guys shooting lasers on Mars.:klingon:

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

And guys from Iowa boinking alien chicks, getting redshirts killed every week and TALKIng...likethis, and I would still (and have) chosen this over Firefly, which is not anywhere near as brilliant as its creator and fans think it is.

10. Chrisisall

3 out of 4 dentists disagree.

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

So you're saying the fourth dentist is the one with sense? :devil:

12. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed firefly, but it ended too soon and I was very annoyed with some plots.

13. Chrisisall

Your good with the comeback but not so much with the taste.:devil::devil:

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think the 4th Dentist is a Reaver.

15. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Okay, now that would be a scary dentist.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Liked it. Watched it twice on DVD before the movie premiered. Since the movie I haven't had an urge to re-visit the series.

17. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not gonna tell you that you're not entitled to your opinion, but this argument is just batty.

Comparing what a franchise with 725 episodes and 11 films is able to cover to a series with 14 episodes and one film is just weird. Firefly had to devote some time to set up the universe and perspective before turning it on its head. That said, there were plenty of hints that the Alliance provided some good, and some clear cases of our big damn heroes crossing lines.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well worth it. I haven't watched my DVDs in a couple of years but it's very well done series and with the possible exception of the penultimate episode -Heart of Gold- it's damn near perfect as every episode is great, great stuff.

19. Chrisisall

Ooooh, a real fan:)...you must know what a catalyzer is... and a grav boot...:techman:

20. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

It's a point of view thing. Mal and the others weren't the good heroes we expect them to be. It's the whole glorification of the drifter/tough guy/Han Solo-esque characters that pop up from time to time. The Alliance weren't necessarily good or bad, but they were the WINNERS of the war, which polarises the characters and sets them off as they do.

Unfortunately Whedon (like the Trek Movies) does like to portray authority figures as slightly less intelligent or informed as the main characters (for example the Reaver situation in Bushwhacked).